Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are you playing right now?

confessions of a gamer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
708 replies to this topic

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Some of the later bosses in Hollow Knight are insane, especially the optional ones. 'Spose I should experiment with charms a bit more.

Heh, yeah, they can be. How far along in the game are you? :)

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4020 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Stopped playing Hollow Knight, because I'm just not good enough for it and grinding the bosses over and over till I might be able to beat them is just not fun for me. Bit of a shame, because I love everything else about the game.

I can really feel how my reflexes deteriorated with age...

Edited by Lexx, 15 January 2019 - 11:56 AM.

• Labadal likes this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3813 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
Tbh, the bigger factor for being less efficient in gaming in higher age is lack of time for practice in conjunction with having lot of RL stuff on mind all the time than getting older.

Edited by Mamoulian War, 15 January 2019 - 12:46 PM.

• majestic and Hawke64 like this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3813 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

More on topic: https://arstechnica....n-as-i-used-to/

And one of the more notable paragraphs:

While this could be due solely to a decline in enthusiasm for some, an alternative explanation is that many older gamers—especially when they have longterm partners, become parents, or ascend into highly demanding professional positions—simply have different priorities and less time for gameplay. And when you have plenty of other things to do, it’s easy to avoid activities that appear to be either too easy and thus boring, or too difficult and thus frustrating.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
It was opposite for me. It got easier as I progressed within the game, probably due to facing the spirit bosses and other optional bosses earlier on in the game which made everything else a piece of cake. Finishing these bosses before even getting to the 3rd campaign boss, ine might add.

The thing that got me was memorozing the map, where best to jump when I cannot see. Taking that leap of faith. It's one of the games where playing in 30 minute spurts (30 minutes a day) makes it much easier and accessible than playing it an hour or more - longer plays tend to cause player to overthink. A cooling session has always been beneficial to the gaming community while playing a gale tat requires some level of strategy, rather than plowing through which never worked.

p.s,

Sacrifice Zote, you will thank me later :)

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Stopped playing Hollow Knight, because I'm just not good enough for it and grinding the bosses over and over till I might be able to beat them is just not fun for me. Bit of a shame, because I love everything else about the game.

I'm curious, where did you get stuck?

Sacrifice Zote, you will thank me later :)

I take it you don't like Invincible, Fearless, Sensual, Mysterious, Enchanting, Vigorous, Diligent, Overwhelming, Gorgeous, Passionate, Terrifying, Beautiful, Powerful Grey Prince Zote then?

• SonicMage117 likes this

SadExchange

SadExchange

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Well, right now trying to keep the train of finishing games going.....  Completed Celeste, Guacamelee, and Child of Light so far and am about 3/4 the way through Ghost 1.0, and having fun.  Nice to get through some backlog.  Also playing through Shadow of Mordor on PC.  I think I beat the main game back on the PS4 when it came out, but after just getting done reading The Hobbit and moving on the Lord of the Rings books, I thought it'd be fun to go through Shadow of Mordor and War.

I realize that the games I've beaten are shorter, but I figured I'd start with those because it's easier to keep the momentum going early on when I continue on to longer games.  Of course, those three and Ghost 1.0 have been on the switch which does make it easier as someone (so sorry I forgot who) stated that sometimes it's hard to go back to the computer to play games when you spend a good part of your day on them for work. 

Looking at Guacamelee 2, Sundered, or that Feudal Alloy coming up.  The bigger games coming up in February and March, I either really haven't looked at, or really, are not appealing to me lately.  We'll see.

• Labadal likes this

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ghost 1.0 was a blast. The plot twist was a bit too obvious but everything else was great. Especially the story presentation and the little TV-show like recaps you got when you loaded your save. Anyone playing Ghost 1.0 on the Switch shouldn't just pause the game and put the console to sleep but quit the game and load the save. It's worth it. :)

Spoiler

Edited by majestic, 15 January 2019 - 02:46 PM.

• Labadal likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I take it you don't like Invincible, Fearless, Sensual, Mysterious, Enchanting, Vigorous, Diligent, Overwhelming, Gorgeous, Passionate, Terrifying, Beautiful, Powerful Grey Prince Zote then?

I have a love/hate relationship with the character, though I see him as very relatable lol
  • SadExchange likes this

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2736 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Tbh, the bigger factor for being less efficient in gaming in higher age is lack of time for practice in conjunction with having lot of RL stuff on mind all the time than getting older.

I don't have a lot of RL stuff to do(just a boring job from 8 to 16 o clock) but even I lack the motivation to play games like I did some 10 years ago when I was 25. Part of it also has to do with the fact that I have played and finished about 300+ games on various platforms and after such a long time, you do get the feeling of 'I have seen/played this before'.

Still, there are games that I am curious about, I am just not sure if I will ever get to play them.

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2391 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Heh, yeah, they can be. How far along in the game are you? :)

Well that's a rather difficult question to answer.
Spoiler

Yup, certainly what made me abandon difficult games in general. Now I wonder what'll playing on a Switch do with that mindset since I can now totally squeeze "Two more tries" in while I'm trying to squeeze a stinker out.

Edited by Fenixp, 15 January 2019 - 09:23 PM.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11315 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm actually starting to get bored with Red Dead Redemption 2.  Running around the wilderness shooting things or looking for obscure "trophies" gets boring after a while.

And I'm not really digging the story missions.  They seem to consist of just getting the law out to get you and being wanted because you got into a gun fight over something stupid after I've spent the rest of the game trying to fit in.

• SadExchange likes this

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4020 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm curious, where did you get stuck?

I didn't really get stuck. Pretty sure I could make it through the main story with ignoring all the side-bosses, but I just lost motivation. There's some bosses that I *know* I could beat, but I'm really too slow to dodge their attacks and thus have to repeat them over and over again until I'm lucky.

Last thing I did was beating the mask part boss in the library. Next one probably would have been above the watcher knights (the first boss fight that really started pissing me off). I'm probably strong enough to take them now, as I have the coiled nail and all the other fancy stuff, but I just couldn't fire up the game again.

Edited by Lexx, 15 January 2019 - 10:19 PM.

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2391 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Watcher Knights was actually one of those boss fights which got trivial for me the moment I found the right charm combination.

The strategy I used below

Spoiler

Anyway, I can definitely see fatigue setting in while getting through Hollow Knight, given the sheer amount of content that game contains.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3813 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

I don't have a lot of RL stuff to do(just a boring job from 8 to 16 o clock) but even I lack the motivation to play games like I did some 10 years ago when I was 25. Part of it also has to do with the fact that I have played and finished about 300+ games on various platforms and after such a long time, you do get the feeling of 'I have seen/played this before'.

Still, there are games that I am curious about, I am just not sure if I will ever get to play them.

Well, the feeling of playing the same **** over and over, was the main reason, why I've completely stopped purchasing western AAA games with comming of PS3, with very few exceptions like Mortal Kombat and Gid of War. I am now completely indy, japanese, retro gamer, and I still feel enough motivation to enjoy my games even at my early 40ies. The only issue I have, is that when I know, I will be going for longer business trip, I hesitate to start a new game. For days like these, I still have my Assetto Corsa though :p
  • Hawke64 likes this

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Heh, yeah, they can be. How far along in the game are you?  :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Watcher Knights was actually one of those boss fights which got trivial for me the moment I found the right charm combination.

The strategy I used below

Spoiler

Anyway, I can definitely see fatigue setting in while getting through Hollow Knight, given the sheer amount of content that game contains.

The Shaman Stone is so powerful that you can use it throughout the entire game. There's a reason MonStahLer uses it (along with Spell Twister) in his speed runs. :)

Heh, yeah, they can be. How far along in the game are you?  :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9132 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

This is so me. Indie, big budget, doesn't matter.

I think in my case - especially since I have a pretty obsessive nature - my desire to commit to devoting a long period (even tho I have time) to master new rules/mechanics or make constant micro-decisions (that item, this item? this perk, that perk?), has dwindled, and the "seen that, been there" doesn't help. Even if it's a game I'd like to check out/play, more and more I'm likely to instead just go back to an already familiar game (or a very simplistic/short game) where I won't care if I wake up the next morning/next week suddenly not wanting to game at all for weeks or months (meaning if I returned to the game then, I'd likely feel like I have to start all over....).

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2736 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, the feeling of playing the same **** over and over, was the main reason, why I've completely stopped purchasing western AAA games with comming of PS3, with very few exceptions like Mortal Kombat and Gid of War. I am now completely indy, japanese, retro gamer, and I still feel enough motivation to enjoy my games even at my early 40ies. The only issue I have, is that when I know, I will be going for longer business trip, I hesitate to start a new game. For days like these, I still have my Assetto Corsa though :p

It doesn't matter, you're a buisness man. You can buy any game you want and play them whenever you want. :p
  • Mamoulian War likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
For Hollow Knight,

I just use Dashmaster, Long Nail and upgrade my nail. Whatever I have left usually went to health boosts. I rarely used secondary attacks in Hollow Knight so I beat the game on slashing and dashing alone.

The easoest bos fights in the game (the mantis lords and the dung defender) taught me it was more about patience and attacking at just the right opening than anything really.

One of my favorite bosses (Failed Champion aka Spirit False Knight or Return Of Flase Knight)

Edited by SonicMage117, 16 January 2019 - 05:33 AM.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3813 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

It doesn't matter, you're a buisness man. You can buy any game you want and play them whenever you want. :p

That doesn't change the fact, that anything made by Ubi, EA, Acti is for me just waste of money, because I've already played everything, they can offer already 10 years ago ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users