There exists loading screen art from 1st person view, in the style of Pillars 1...

The artwork in Deadfire is outstanding, probably even better than Pillars 1. The loading screens are no exception, but it's notable that they strongly differ in perspective from Pillars 1.

In Pillars 1, the view was from the Watcher's eyes, with no characters or party members depicted, just the environment. This was the same style used in IWD and BG2. For example, the loading screen for Caed Nua in Pillars 1:

800px-Lsc_caed_nua_01.jpg

In contrast, Deadfire depicts action scenes for its loading screens, with various party members depicted:

800px-PoE2_Wallpaper_Deadfire-playerexpe

What's interesting is that there exists artwork for at least two loading screens, in the 1st-person style of Pillars 1!

Poko Kohara ruins:

800px-LSC_ar_0201_desert_island_ext.png

Hohina Ravine:

800px-Lsc_ar_0106_village_ravine.png

This kind of calm, unpopulated 1st person scene nicely complements (or contrasts) with the top-down, action-filled bird's eye view used for most of the game.

Another advantage is its independence from party composition -- whether a full party or solo character.

I was curious if the loading screens were changed for budget reasons, and if it any more were created in this style I would love to see them!

• Like 4

I would imagine the decision was mostly budget/art time. It's not that the perspective changed, it's just that loading screens shows game's (or expansion's) cover art now, and doesn't contain dedicated art. The screens you provided are listed on the website as "artwork". Curiously three locations shown are: Tikiwara, Poko Kohara ruins and Hohina Ravine. My guess would be that those screens were created for beta, but the idea to use unique screens for each individual location was scrapped somewhere during development. 

Certainly less detailed approach, but not a big loss in my book.

• Like 1

I was recalling the mosaic loading screens from BG2, and wondered if this was a way to create unique loading screens for a fraction of the time.

Basically, the artist could create a much cruder, less detailed image for the loading screen (than those that exist from the beta), then use GIMP's mosaic distortion tool.

Here is my result for the beta Poko Kohara loading screen. Let me know what you think!

29NaCVM.png

Edited by glennjones130486
  • Like 2