Hello there!

So, I used to play as a Gold Pact Paladin in PoE 1. I'd like to continue like this in PoE 2 but since the character development system has changed and I can now multiclass I have a question. 

Should I multiclass as a paladin and if so which class is the best choice as a second one? Also, which weapon proficiency do you recommend for a paladin?

Paladin multi-classes really well, and can mix effectively with nearly anything depending on what you'd like it to do. +Chanter is very popular to make a super supportive tank; +Rogue is great to make a strong tanky DPS character; +Wizard or +Cipher make for powerful frontline spellcasters.

Weapon proficiencies you shouldn't overthink the first playthrough. A lot of posted builds are made around a specific unique weapon and I think you miss out on a lot if you make that decision in advance instead of playing the game and figuring it out. You get 8 proficiencies total, and they only grant the modal abilities, no accuracy or damage, so you can use weapons without proficiency just fine.

Sabres and swords are good choices as there are a lot of them and their modals are solid penetration boosts. Shields also have strong abilities if you want one (not super necessary on a paladin since they are so tanky naturally). Blunderbuss can be toggled to be AoE with its modal.

• Like 1

my recomendation for a goldpact is a devoted two handed fighter with high dexterity. you'll have a great attack rate, good damage, two type of attacks, you also earn gilded enemity for more armor rating, you'll earn a lot of fighter buffs along with healing and mind resistance abilities of a paladin. you'll earn righteous soul too which is pretty useful for solo builds. if you want to be the killer of the party but at the same time be able to heal and support your people then select a templar. I have a templar of Magran that never dies because he's not meant to be toe to toe but hide behind eder and pallegina's shield while healing, debuffing and hitting hard with dual sword or pistol + sword level 2 spell.

• Like 1

Blunderbuss modal is an additional aoe (friendly fire) fire attack. It does not replace the main shot, which is still single-target. Well, unless you use the special pair of hand mortar blunderbusses, which actually are aoe - regardless of the modal.

Edited by Haplok

Paladin/Soulblade, Paladin/Troubadour, Paladin/Helwalker and Paladin/Trickster are all great combos.

Why trickster and not, say, streetfighter?

Because triggering streetfighter's bonuses isn't that easy.

So perhaps a pure rogue would be more efficient? I'm not a fan of illusion spells.

Triggering Streetfighter bonus isn't THAT difficult... and you often have it when it counts. Also it's the best way to use two-handers IMO, which are slooow otherwise.

But barring Streetfighter, I second the Trickster advice. You loose very little sneak damage, almost nothing, but his FREE spell like abilities are VERY potent.

If nothing else, the Trickster buffs will make your defenses shoot trough the roof (and provide lots of Riposte opportunities).

But barring Streetfighter, I second the Trickster advice. You loose very little sneak damage, almost nothing, but his FREE spell like abilities are VERY potent.

If nothing else, the Trickster buffs will make your defenses shoot trough the roof (and provide lots of Riposte opportunities).

Exactly, the trickster loses only 10% sneak attack damage and gains instead access to some free spells which add more versatility to the build.

I am currently playing a Herald (Paladin+Chanter) and he is armed with the essence bow. I am only 7th level so I usually let them fight automatically. What usually happens is the Chanter half calls in the three wurms right away to help and the Paladin uses the bow.

Hello there!

So, I used to play as a Gold Pact Paladin in PoE 1. I'd like to continue like this in PoE 2 but since the character development system has changed and I can now multiclass I have a question. 

Should I multiclass as a paladin and if so which class is the best choice as a second one? Also, which weapon proficiency do you recommend for a paladin?

can't give an answer 'til am knowing what you want out of your paladin or paladin +  _________.

wanna be a top-tier damage dealer who is able able to take a punch or two?  wanna be an immortal tank who also buffs when needed? heck, can limit discussion to only play a votary and depending on your playstyle you are able to tank with the best or deal serious damage or find some kinda nice balance 'tween tank and dps.

so, what do you want from your character, 'cause chances are there is gonna be a dozen paladin multiclass combos which will come close to achieving what you want.  particular in an rpg such as deadfire, "best" is not an objective value when discussing relative class merits.  on the positive side, deadfire is flexible enough such that if you wanna play a paladin + (to be determined,) chances are you will be able to find a multiclass combo which suits your needs/desires. 

so, what do you want?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there!

can't give an answer 'til am knowing what you want out of your paladin or paladin +  _________.

wanna be a top-tier damage dealer who is able able to take a punch or two?  wanna be an immortal tank who also buffs when needed? heck, can limit discussion to only play a votary and depending on your playstyle you are able to tank with the best or deal serious damage or find some kinda nice balance 'tween tank and dps.

so, what do you want from your character, 'cause chances are there is gonna be a dozen paladin multiclass combos which will come close to achieving what you want.  particular in an rpg such as deadfire, "best" is not an objective value when discussing relative class merits.  on the positive side, deadfire is flexible enough such that if you wanna play a paladin + (to be determined,) chances are you will be able to find a multiclass combo which suits your needs/desires. 

so, what do you want?

HA! Good Fun!

I'd like to enhance paladin's tank/support qualities. Alternatively, I may go for additional dps.