SSS enemies should not be able to use disintegration.

Further lessons:

- use frighting abilites

- use terrifying abilites

Which might turn the Silent 5 into the Useless 5. ;)

I don't recall their resistances/immunites though.

Honestly I never noticed them casting Disintegration because usually I bombard the enemy with interrupts and CC like crazy no matter who it is. Just to be sure. Dps is overrated...

Give me a guy with AoE Bewildering Blows (e.g. Clear Out) and another one with AoE Body Blows (e.g. Heart of Fury) and most CC options will land reliably.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah, the silent five fight was the hardest fight in my solo run through SSS.

Carefully timed reflects, via spells or consumables, is the best counter. With luck, you can get them to tag themselves with the disintegrate, and take themselves out.

Edited by whimper

I got Pallegina disintegrated and Xoti exploded by Ciphers on the Sea Lashed Crypt once in one of my trial of Iron and Path of the Dammed plays... it was amazing, I did not lost the battle but lost 2 companions that day.

• Like 1

Ok, solo is a different matter because you can't take care of them all at the same time.

But with a party of five that fight was among of the easiest in my SSS runs.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Ok, solo is a different matter because you can't take care of them all at the same time.

But with a party of five that fight was among of the easiest in my SSS runs.

I wondered whether this fight would be a lot easier with a group, so it’s interesting to hear that confirmed.

(Given the powerful regeneration effects and defenses they all have up at the start of the fight, it takes me a while to take down the first of them. It gets progressively easier after that, though. So with a party to focus fire with, I can imagine this fight going a *lot* faster.)

I got Pallegina disintegrated and Xoti exploded by Ciphers on the Sea Lashed Crypt once in one of my trial of Iron and Path of the Dammed plays... it was amazing, I did not lost the battle but lost 2 companions that day.

is this possibly part of the 3.1 potd rebalancing?

i haven't tried end-game stuff but i literally have zero recollection of ciphers ever using something like disintegration there before. it would be consistent with my observations on critical path that enemies appear to use higher-level abilities and more aggressively compared to pre-3.1

edit: also, other possible ways around disintegration if you can't avoid getting hit:

priest

- minor intercession at AL6 (-5s effects)

- light of eothas at AL9 (-10s effects)

- withdraw (though you're down a party member)

- suppress affliction + salvation of time, only temporary but if you end the fight in the next ~30s it doesn't matter

paladin

- liberating/remanding exhortation or liberating command, only temporary but lasts a really long time

anyone

- street sweeper upgraded to -10s harmful effects, attack yourself.

- potions of (major) recovery

Edited by thelee

i haven't tried end-game stuff but i literally have zero recollection of ciphers ever using something like disintegration there before. it would be consistent with my observations on critical path that enemies appear to use higher-level abilities and more aggressively compared to pre-3.1

edit: also, other possible ways around disintegration if you can't avoid getting hit:

priest

- suppress affliction + salvation of time, only temporary but if you end the fight in the next ~30s it doesn't matter

paladin

- liberating/remanding exhortation or liberating command, only temporary but lasts a really long time

anyone

Dunno about 3.1 - stuff is still very easy. What did they actually change? 

priest

paladin

anyone

Unclear. The patch notes said they ramped up mid-late game PotD difficulty. I had a run near the end that I just blitzed through the critical path, and what it seemed like was a combination of a) more enemies (that are harder to pull separately, though this may be a bug); b) higher level abilities; c) those abilities being used more aggressively.

I was used to running Ashen Maw and the final faction quests at level 14-15 and roflstomping everything. I did it again at 14-15 and found it much harder.  If I had done it at level 20 it still would've been easy, but at target level objectively seemed harder than before.

Edited by thelee

priest

paladin

anyone

Unclear. The patch notes said they ramped up mid-late game PotD difficulty. I had a run near the end that I just blitzed through the critical path, and what it seemed like was a combination of a) more enemies (that are harder to pull separately, though this may be a bug); b) higher level abilities; c) those abilities being used more aggressively.

I was used to running Ashen Maw and the final faction quests at level 14-15 and roflstomping everything. I did it again at 14-15 and found it much harder.  If I had done it at level 20 it still would've been easy, but at target level objectively seemed harder than before.

I cleared all bounties at 14 (went after them before critical path) Atm doing SSS but there doesn't seem to be much yet. Currently after 4 passages.

priest

paladin

anyone

I cleared all bounties at 14 (went after them before critical path) Atm doing SSS but there doesn't seem to be much yet. Currently after 4 passages.

i think the 3.1 potd difficutly revamp was intended solely for the base game. they might consider SSS already balanced.

I did another run and this time there were 3 maerwalds in the 3rd arena initiation fight

What?

I have:

Maerwald x1

Greater Fire Blight x4

Party's Reflection

Do we need to create a new game for changes of 3.1 to happen? If so, that basically screwes my run I started in 3.0

Quick question, does using an interrupt on an enemy who is casting, essentially "wastes" his cast? They have limited casts as well. Will that make them lose it?

yes.

i don't think it works so well for non-kith who are not obviously casters (e.g. fampyr or xaurip priests); anecdotally bosses like the BoW dragon or SSS croc appear to have infinite uses of their main abilities just on a cooldown and interrupt just forces them to move on to the next one instead of burning a slot (in fact if you use spiritual ally you can literally see them with a little infinity symbol over their two abilities); however even in those cases there are a few that appear limited (like BoW's llengrath's safeguard or SSS's robust) that you can cancel out with an interrupt but those are the exception.

be warned though that enemy casters, like you, have the option of just using a remaining spellcast to try the same thing again. anecdotally a lot of casters I fight really want to cast Arcane Dampener, so if you interrupt one, chances are they'll try again later or even immediately. If you interrupt that one as well then they have nothing left.

edit to add: even if you don't interrupt the actual cast, if you do an interrupt oftentimes you'll "reset" the AI script so while they still have the cast available they'll move on to doing other things for a little bit before trying it again.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

I did another run and this time there were 3 maerwalds in the 3rd arena initiation fight

What?

I have:

Maerwald x1

Greater Fire Blight x4

Party's Reflection

Do we need to create a new game for changes of 3.1 to happen? If so, that basically screwes my run I started in 3.0

Hey guys,

Just wanted to clarify; The 3.1 PotD changes are indeed base game only.

The Maerwald fight is actually tied to your PoE 1 global variables that are imported/set on new game. One of the choices causes the hardest iteration of the fight (the one with 3 Maerwalds) to spawn.

Hope that clears some things up =)

• Like 3

I try my very best.

So... which choice is that? :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

What?

I have:

Maerwald x1

Greater Fire Blight x4

Party's Reflection

Hey guys,

Just wanted to clarify; The 3.1 PotD changes are indeed base game only.

The Maerwald fight is actually tied to your PoE 1 global variables that are imported/set on new game. One of the choices causes the hardest iteration of the fight (the one with 3 Maerwalds) to spawn.

Hope that clears some things up =)

Oh, cool. I was nice towards Maerwald I guess so difficulty was lower.

Btw. Keep the idea of spawned fights for future games too. Always fun to roll with different builds and classes :)

PS

You guys should also make Very Hard difficulty before POTD but after hard. Basically all enemies are present, like in POTD, but without bonuses to stats etc.

Would be cool.

Edited by Killyox