[3.1] extra quest experience

thelee

Question

Discussion started here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106568-was-the-exp-gain-changed-in-31/?p=2111674

I captured a screenshot of some very suspicious exp gain, after noticing that on this run I appear to be gaining levels a little too quickly.

post-58316-0-96238600-1541281008_thumb.png

Basically, to me it looks like the last bit of quest experience is getting rewarded 2x, so my quest completion here is indicated at "125%".

Dropbox link to save and output_log: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3059qvcsm4zj6q5/AADbXkUMbvC6XcpIGGF8gG9Ga?dl=0

• Like 2

6 answers to this question

To elaborate: what makes me certain there's increased exp gain in 3.1 is the fact that I've played PotD pre-3.1 so many time that I had Act 1 down to a science in terms of exp gain. I'd end up entering Engwithan Dig Site at level 3 (a little lower for the two hirelings I bring along); after clearing out all the creatures on the surface, I'd enter the side training area and kill some skeletons and that would push mainchar, eder, and xoti to level 4. Hirelings would eventually hit level 4 after finding the adra. Instead, post 3.1 I'm already fully at level 4 upon entering dig site (even hirelings).

Whole leveling thing is just too much over the top.

I just did playthrough with 30perc slower leveling mod. Coupled with potd difficulty changes, this was quite hardcore, for some major fights you were just properly level starved (in a good sense). Seems some mobs are now even higher level than before, making it real fun.

I cant recommend this enough. I reached lvl 20, still havent done scriveners, bekarna, and that corpse island + ofcourse ukaizo. Not even talking about DLCs.

Point is - with vanilla leveling - playing more than 1/3 of game level capped, is bit boring, at first - level scaling upwards is limited, so it lowers chalenge, and also - no progress in rpg, seriously???

It could be done at least as challenge (totally not fan of those), or as part of potd difficulty. Flat 30 perc is about perfect (for wannabe completionist run, but i still missed/messed quite a bit of quests).

I understand that for causal player it would be problem, but those wont go for highest difficulty (or challenge). Or there could be implemented some kind of intelligent exp scaling.

Hey everyone!

Thank you for letting me know about this.  I'm unaware about any experience changes, but I'll start asking around.  In the meantime, I submitted a bug report with all the information you provided and sent it to the QA and Systems Design teams to investigate.  If you discover anything else about this, please continue to post it here as I linked this thread in the report to be used as a reference.

Thanks again for the help!

Had an odd perhaps-related occurrence.  On loading a quicksave at the Dig Site, the game gave me an XP reward for progress in "To Hunt a God," with the mouseover telling me that the quest was 100% complete.  The Journal, however, has the quest as still open and the "Search the Engwithan Ruins" goal unchecked, with the most recent addition being simply "I'd better look around.  Maybe I can find out what he was after."

All my party was doing at the time was standing around on the "middle ring" of the dig site, near the lower of the two entrances to the Training Hall-- I hadn't yet ventured down to Draketown on the bottom level or entered any of the side areas (Foreman's, Training Hall, or Adra Pool). 

Could be a save-load issue causing duplicate quest-progress XP awards? 

Yeah, Loading a save (possibly limited to a quicksave?) on a map where you have just earned Quest XP is duplicating.  Happened to me again in Clario's estate, turning in Dig Site results.  I got a phone call during the conversation with him, rushed through it and quicksaved.  When I loaded that quicksave, the XP award showed up in the gamelog box.  For comparison, I reloaded the autosave on entering the estate and did the conversation again.  Character XP totals were ~1200 lower, each.  (4 chars; quest XP awards of 460, 460, & 4216.  The math works out-- they were applied a second time on loading the save.)

Edit:  And that second 460 itself may have been a duplicate.  Just for giggles, I tried a 3rd time, starting from a hard save outside of town.  Only got the 460 & 4216.  Could be broader wackiness going on with quest XP in the game right now. 

Edited by Enoch

Guest Psychovampiric Shield

I also noticed quest rewards in log after loading on several occasions.

EDIT: following Enoch's tip, I checked Clario. Video, quick save that duplicates reward, slow save from just before talking to Clario.

Great game, but jesus, so buggy. *glares silently*

Edited by Psychovampiric Shield