Who has finished the game?

I  have just finished  on Path of damned  little over 70h  of gameplay.

Overall :    9/10

My  biggest complain  is  xp quest ballance  and light  main story. I prefer  darker/sinister  tone   of the game world.

Battle animations,slow motion , graphics, world reactivity ,choice and consequence    all  are   fantastic.

Worst bits:

-I know I'm on a low-end machine but the frame rate is ridiculously inconsistent. Some areas play just fine, other areas are slideshows, for no apparent reason. What's going on in Delver's Row that the frame rate is half of Queen's Berth?!

Yeah, this. Can anyone explain this phenomenon to any degree? I find it totally baffling. Some areas are perfectly fine, no problems whatsoever, and some are so slow you want to go and watch paint dry for some excitement. And I mean these areas are slow without any encounters. Just walking around.

This totally baffles me. Either the unity engine is plain bad or the developers in obsidian aren't doing it right.

There are places with really bad performance. For example Queen's berth where Cotta party resides. If you add in stealth, the frame rate can come to a crawl.

Also another biggest gripe for me about Deadfire. Many screenshots look awesome but in game they are just plain flat. for example poko kohara ruins.

Worst bits:

-I know I'm on a low-end machine but the frame rate is ridiculously inconsistent. Some areas play just fine, other areas are slideshows, for no apparent reason. What's going on in Delver's Row that the frame rate is half of Queen's Berth?!

Yeah, this. Can anyone explain this phenomenon to any degree? I find it totally baffling. Some areas are perfectly fine, no problems whatsoever, and some are so slow you want to go and watch paint dry for some excitement. And I mean these areas are slow without any encounters. Just walking around.

This totally baffles me. Either the unity engine is plain bad or the developers in obsidian aren't doing it right.

There are places with really bad performance. For example Queen's berth where Cotta party resides. If you add in stealth, the frame rate can come to a crawl.

Also another biggest gripe for me about Deadfire. Many screenshots look awesome but in game they are just plain flat. for example poko kohara ruins.

I didn't think there were performance issues, because I was playing on a 6-year old CPU, with a 1060, and getting mostly smooth frame rates with occasional stutters and occasional sections of low fps like arriving in queen's berth, so I was happy with it.

I very very very recently (like in the past few days) built a new CPU, with an amd ryzen 2700x, nvidia 2080 ti, etc. It can play shadow of the tomb raider all settings maxed at 4k with nearly constant 60 fps.  On Deadfire I get.... mostly smooth frame rates with occasional stutters and occasional sections of low fps like arriving in queen's berth... (!?!?!?!?)

it leads me to strongly believe that there's something just fundamentally clunky about the unity engine being used here. I mysteriously dip well below 60fps and no graphical settings tweaks improve it. I was willing to give it a pass before because of my oldish system and budget gpu, but there's literally no excuse now. It suggests that there's something that's not GPU-bound but just fundamental inefficiencies in the game engine... given that i'm using a current-gen CPU now it doesn't even seem like it's a CPU-bound issue (like maybe they're doing random blocking I/O reads or have very inefficient algorithms that no amount of processing power can speed up, like hell maybe they're bubble-sorting everything).

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

Completed 3 times.

The best bits are factions, companions, reactions to player's actions.

The worst bits are RNG'ed good loot (not critical, but quite annoying) and the continued development (reminds of "games as service" thing).

the continued development (reminds of "games as service" thing).

As in, you would have preferred no patches and DLCs? :huh:

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It would be cool to bring back the era of games which were complete at launch without bugs and where you wouldn't boot up Zelda one day and find out Link's Master Sword takes four hits instead of two to kill enemies now because they were worried about players getting overpowered. The internet basically killed that era dead; if you can just patch a game after launch, why fix all the bugs before launch?

• Like 2

the continued development (reminds of "games as service" thing).

As in, you would have preferred no patches and DLCs? :huh:

Ideally, only patches. Less ideally - patches and expansions (i.e. reasonably big, limited in number and disconnected from the main game, basically the 3 main DLC).

The thing I dislike is those small DLC with weapons/animations/random bosses. Can't say that my attitude is rational, more like personal preference. But, as I said, the trend of releasing the complete and bug-free (as far as possible) version of a game a year after the initial launch is unpleasant.

Finished the game twice and I'm currently in my third playthrough.

The good:

• the quests (especially the factions)
  • the visuals (everything is super beautiful)
  • the balance
  • the DLC (only played BOW so far, but I'm looking forward to SSS and FS)

The ok:

• the mechanics (I just much preferred POE's per rest system, the fundamental lack of an attrition system really hurts the game)
  • the companions (nothing to write about for fifteen years, although the voice acting is pretty good)
  • the encounters (they are generally good, but the dungeons are one dimensional and quite short, with a few exceptions. I was really expecting something cool for the Balefire Beacon, for nothing apparently)
  • exploration (big game, a few places are a little light on content and no easter eggs?)

The sorta bad:

• the main story (ad nauseam)
  • the relationship system (a bit pointless honestly)
  • the ship system (its a bit shallow, I hope they add more effort to it)
  • Like 5

I haven't finished the game (I'm at level 13 now, with roughly half of the map explored), but I would have to agree with the previous poster in the sense that the main story is in fact among the worst things in the game. Curiously, the game itself doesn't really suffer from it, although it would of course be a lot better if the story was good.

But it's just so poorly done: on the one hand, you're supposed to be in a hurry to stop this giant, but on the other hand, you know you have all the time in the world. Every once in a while you get to talk with some gods who behave with all the grace and grandeur of a group of adolescents, and having to take part in that feels just silly. What it comes down to, in the end, is this: I don't effing care about the Eothas thing. Apparently this is a fairly common experience. I'm not entirely sure why I don't care, but the whole plot just doesn't grip me at all.

But I am very much enjoying the game. There's an awful lot of good stuff in it. But the main story line isn't one of them.

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 2

I finished it, and in many ways it is exacly what i expected. So good enought.

The whole idea of the game is ok. Some sidequest, some main quest, companions.

Factions are made definetly better, it is way to go.

The tone of the game is ok for me, since pirates of deadfire generally are humourous and drunk.

General mechanic, multiclassing and progression is fun.

Nitpicking: need more stuff.

More options to roleplay, like abillity to be greedy, insidious, cruel, knowledge hungry, passionete, lustful, drunk... like roleplaying pirate with drinking problem.

In the end i am not sure if Watcher really mattered in main quest, if i just let it go it would be fine as well. Tell Tale syndrome.

More medium size dungeons locations, like Vampire Island (or Roderik hold) long enought to sunk in, but not too long before it gets boring.

Maybe after Deadfire resolution there will be part 3, where we could really shape the world.

Edited by evilcat

The lack of companion dialogue and interaction is my biggest gripe. Along with the lack of reactivity to your decisions.

But I still love the game esp the graphics, combat, classes, and items. Some of the dungeons and late game quests are great too.

For all those experiencing fps issues (on weaker machines): Disabling lights in the graphics options helps a lot on many maps. Morevoer, this is especially helpful for encounters in which spells like firewall are cast. While the maps obviously lose some of their atmospheric impact, I sometimes even appreciate the lack of lighting in favour of a slightly better visibility of the combat action.

• Like 1

I finished it, and in many ways it is exacly what i expected. So good enought.

The whole idea of the game is ok. Some sidequest, some main quest, companions.

Factions are made definetly better, it is way to go.

The tone of the game is ok for me, since pirates of deadfire generally are humourous and drunk.

General mechanic, multiclassing and progression is fun.

Nitpicking: need more stuff.

More options to roleplay, like abillity to be greedy, insidious, cruel, knowledge hungry, passionete, lustful, drunk... like roleplaying pirate with drinking problem.

In the end i am not sure if Watcher really mattered in main quest, if i just let it go it would be fine as well. Tell Tale syndrome.

More medium size dungeons locations, like Vampire Island (or Roderik hold) long enought to sunk in, but not too long before it gets boring.

Maybe after Deadfire resolution there will be part 3, where we could really shape the world.

(possible spoilers)

The main plot in Deadfire is interesting in that regard. Reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark; in that movie, Indiana Jones ends up being completely superfluous. He fails to prevent the ark from falling into Nazi hands, and when the Nazis open it, divine power annihilates them all anyway. He was basically just there for the ride. Or, "the adventure was the friends we made along the way" kind of after-school special message. Similarly, in contrast to PoE1's message of the coming animancy revolution and impending obsolescence of the gods (read: they blew up eothas), Deadfire's message is like "oh ho ho not yet you dumb non-engwithan mortals" and it's more about the factions you interact with along the way to Eothas's unstoppable plan. That's why I really want a PoE3 to bring everything to a conclusion because there's clearly a tension between the old gods and kith progress that needs to be resolved.

• Like 1

For all those experiencing fps issues (on weaker machines): Disabling lights in the graphics options helps a lot on many maps. Morevoer, this is especially helpful for encounters in which spells like firewall are cast. While the maps obviously lose some of their atmospheric impact, I sometimes even appreciate the lack of lighting in favour of a slightly better visibility of the combat action.

I never had any problems, but tips like this can be really helpful to some people. :thumbsup:

(possible spoilers)

The main plot in Deadfire is interesting in that regard. Reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark; in that movie, Indiana Jones ends up being completely superfluous. He fails to prevent the ark from falling into Nazi hands, and when the Nazis open it, divine power annihilates them all anyway. He was basically just there for the ride. Or, "the adventure was the friends we made along the way" kind of after-school special message. Similarly, in contrast to PoE1's message of the coming animancy revolution and impending obsolescence of the gods (read: they blew up eothas), Deadfire's message is like "oh ho ho not yet you dumb non-engwithan mortals" and it's more about the factions you interact with along the way to Eothas's unstoppable plan. That's why I really want a PoE3 to bring everything to a conclusion because there's clearly a tension between the old gods and kith progress that needs to be resolved.

Lol. Well, at least you can

influence the access to Ukaizo. Aeldys screwed things pretty badly in my game.

sign.jpg

Finished and on the second run now (do not count many, many restarts in search for "true" watcher for Deadfire). Loved every minute of it. I can find something that could be adjusted into more pleasing for me ways (like 5 companions instead of 4) but it would be a nitpicking.

Do not understand this "the story is awful because time pressure is voluntarily" thing. First of all, it's not the story, it's pacing you are talking about, second -  it was like that since BG (I am sure even earlier): you are on a very urgent mission but can safely forget about it for as long as you want. Any game that inflict the real time pressure gets beaten for it. PoE let's you play the way you want: you want to stick to the line - you get it, you want to explore - feel free to do so. Freedom and personal choices.

The plot in the game is great! The scenery is amazing. When my group first met Eothas (not "in the book" but face to face) - it felt absolutely epic! And so much depends of your choices, that pressure can be overwhelming.

Probably there are more factors to my admiration - Pathfinder made me appreciate everything about PoE2 so much more, for example, and late Autumn is the time when one wants to see bright colors, sandy beaches and warm water at least on the screen, but I simply can not get enough of Deadfire. 

• Like 4

When games add time pressure people moan (see Mask of the Betrayer and Fallout 1). When games don't have any time pressure it seems people moan as well  :geek:

Deadfire is good. Beast of Winter is great. Finished the whole campaign twice already. Waiting for final expansion to finish it a 3rd time.

PoE1 was nice, but the original campaign bored me senseless. Deadfire is no BG2 but it sure beats BG1 IMO.

Deadfire's portrayal of the Gods is rather childish, but I like the overall "lack of agency" the Watcher has. Yes, it is actually refreshing!

Edited by mydnightscrivener
  • Like 1

BG2 is one of the only RPGs I can remember that did the time pressure well.

You need to quest to make money and you have time because Spellhold and it's prisoners aren't going anywhere. It wasn't perfect but it worked imho.

• Like 2

You need to quest to make money and you have time because Spellhold and it's prisoners aren't going anywhere. It wasn't perfect but it worked imho.

Correction: while you are "collecting money" your beloved sister is tortured there (you have cut scenes about it regularly). And if sister is not beloved (and god knows there are a lot of people who hates concept of Imoen) - your enemy is plotting something terrible and getting stronger every minute. Not to mention second part of the game when you are dying because your soul is stolen and Irenicus is about to destroy the world, but you can safely finish all the quests left from previous chapters and pick up new one on the way.

I'm afraid I do not know the game with the right time pressure. SWTOR may be - all the stories are designed to give you some push but not over pressure. But it general this is the way non-linear games worked from the start.

• Like 3

Not to mention second part of the game when you are dying because your soul is stolen and Irenicus is about to destroy the world, but you can safely finish all the quests left from previous chapters and pick up new one on the way.

As Verde said, it wasn't perfect, but it worked. :shrugz:

Correction: while you are "collecting money" your beloved sister is tortured there (you have cut scenes about it regularly).

And as you said, some people might actually consider that perfect. :o

sign.jpg

Correction: while you are "collecting money" your beloved sister is tortured there (you have cut scenes about it regularly). And if sister is not beloved (and god knows there are a lot of people who hates concept of Imoen) - your enemy is plotting something terrible and getting stronger every minute. Not to mention second part of the game when you are dying because your soul is stolen and Irenicus is about to destroy the world, but you can safely finish all the quests left from previous chapters and pick up new one on the way.

I'm afraid I do not know the game with the right time pressure. SWTOR may be - all the stories are designed to give you some push but not over pressure. But it general this is the way non-linear games worked from the start.

Smh...yes, it wasn't perfect but it worked better than most RPGs. You need money, resources, and power to face Spellhold and Irenicus. They make that clear from the start, so you have to quest. Edited by Verde
  • Like 3

Guest Blutwurstritter

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 did time limits in the beginning and they worked fairly well, although it has been a long time since i played them so might remember wrong.

I think the open game world and the supposedly paramount importance of chasing Eothas are rather opposed to each other. PoE 2 builds up little urgency since Eothas tells you that he will wait for you at some meeting point, if i recall correctly. Only before you meet him for the first time you might consider it urgent to chase him but after that you can dilly-dally all you want.

Playing Captain Hindsight, i would say this was not the best design option for the story overall but many open world games suffer from this in my opinion. I find it somewhat bothersome but most people don't mind perhaps ?

(i) It's clear that Deadfire used BG2 as a frame of reference. They deliberately incorporated aspects of BG2 that made it such a success:

- embarking on a quest to reclaim your soul, from an immensely powerful antagonist, whose motives are one of the game's major mysteries

- importing your character and continuing their story

- being moved south of the previous game's standard "high fantasy" setting, to a vaguely exotic new setting

- a stand-out "big city" packed with interesting locations, quests, and secrets

I think it was a great idea to use all of those guidelines. Deadfire's quest-design reaches the level of BG2 at times; Neketaka, for example, is the best successor to Athkatla I've ever encountered. Hats off to the devs for the excellent work they did in this regard!

(ii) However, Deadfire also has a major problem, especially when compared to BG2: the main storyline (the "critical path"). Other people have discussed it in detail, but I'll give my own thoughts.

If you took out BG2's sidequests, then its critical path still stood on its own as an epic journey and compelling story; it constantly surprised the player (Chapters 4 and 5, the surprise final battle in Chapter 7).

By contrast, Deadfire's critical path does not work on its own. It is short, uninteresting and repetitive. Without spoiling anything, imagine if BG2 had ended at Spellhold; Deadfire feels like it ends at the halfway point of the story.

Irenicus was also a particularly interesting and memorable villain; as one review put it, he stole the show whenever he was on screen, and his backstory was arguably more interesting than your character's. There was a Gamespot "Top 10" list for villains, with well thought-out guidelines about what makes a good villain. I remember thinking that Bioware must have used that list as guide -- because Irenicus was pretty much the perfect villain. Who can forget his dream sequences? "Life...is strength."

For a giant green statue, Eothas' presence is barely felt in Deadfire's storyline. I think this can be fixed through the addition of some dream sequences (at least one for each act), like Irenicus' in BG2. But Eothas is also a polite, mild-mannered gentleman compared to the cold, ruthless Irencius.

(iii) I think the other major difference, compared to both BG2 and Pillars 1, is the real-time world map.

Its art style is too -- for lack of a better word -- "cartoony", with its bright colours. I understand the need to distinguish Deadfire's lush setting from the bleak Dyrwood, but it should still be consistent with the "realistic" art style.

The real-time map also turned travel on the world map into a tedious chore, whereas the instant travel from the first Pillars (and on the city maps in Deadfire) works just fine.

I think travel problem can be fixed in two (somewhat opposite) ways:

- making the world map more interesting (random text interactions, as described in my signature)

- adding a "fast-travel" option

I certainly enjoyed the game, and hope they will finish the trilogy with a crowdfunded Pillars 3.

• Like 2