Deadfire is too easy cuz quests gives you too much XP!

What I usually disliked about RPGs is that you got to max lvl at the end of the game only and had no place left to have fun with complete characters.  Basically made everything at the end unimportant. 

I would love to spend ~50% game leveling and 50% being at max lvl doing cool fights and quests. There are other ways to make the game challenging instead of just limiting lvl and fun that skills give.

I don’t know how easy or hard PoE1 was to mod, but in Deadfire it’s very easy to change the rate at which XP is gained. If you fear you’ll lose interest in the game before it’s over, why not just mod in a slower XP progression? In a few minutes you’ll secure several extra hours of quality entertainment.

You can also mod the level cap up! This is cool because it lets multiclass characters get max power level

Mods can actually solve a lot of issues (difficulty too), but instead of using them, people prefer to demand changes from Obsidian. Apparently the thought of modifying the game to suit their needs, without affecting other people, disgusts them somehow. And Obs simply caves in if you scream loud enough.

I don’t know how easy or hard PoE1 was to mod, but in Deadfire it’s very easy to change the rate at which XP is gained. If you fear you’ll lose interest in the game before it’s over, why not just mod in a slower XP progression? In a few minutes you’ll secure several extra hours of quality entertainment.

You can also mod the level cap up! This is cool because it lets multiclass characters get max power level

Mods can actually solve a lot of issues (difficulty too), but instead of using them, people prefer to demand changes from Obsidian. Apparently the thought of modifying the game to suit their needs, without affecting other people, disgusts them somehow. And Obs simply caves in if you scream loud enough.

To be fair fixing inherent problems in a game shouldn't be our responsibility. I can understand differing viewpoints on what balanced. Still if the majority of feedback about your game is that it's too easy, then it really doesn't matter if there's mods to make it harder. That's like saying Skyrim should be rated Ao because there's mods to allow for full penetrative sex. The existence of mods shouldn't have any bearing on how you rate the base product. Mods shouldn't be required to enjoy a game fully either.

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

While I agree with the points above in principle, I'm already fully enjoying the game and don't find it a problem that a lot of the time is spent at max level. Quite the opposite.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

While I agree with the points above in principle, I'm already fully enjoying the game and don't find it a problem that a lot of the time is spent at max level. Quite the opposite.

There's nothing wrong with that. The question is is that experience what the majority of players are getting. If the answer is no, then it's probably something the game makers should address. Preliminary comments about the second pass on PotD suggests the Devs have addressed it and succeeded in fixing it.

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

To be fair fixing inherent problems in a game shouldn't be our responsibility. I can understand differing viewpoints on what balanced. Still if the majority of feedback about your game is that it's too easy, then it really doesn't matter if there's mods to make it harder. That's like saying Skyrim should be rated Ao because there's mods to allow for full penetrative sex. The existence of mods shouldn't have any bearing on how you rate the base product. Mods shouldn't be required to enjoy a game fully either.

It might be a problem for you and Steve, but it's not a problem for me and John. By tipping the scale in either side, one group will always be left unhappy. Instead, many games have mods that allow you to customize the experience to your liking. If you expect the developers to change something instead of using them, you're just being selfish.

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/9v2nq7/we_now_have_a_sense_of_just_how_badly_deadfire/

And this is the result of trying to please everyone and constantly changing the game. A flop (even though it only counts after-release sales, not backers). Even Blizzard figured out where the money is, shat at their core fans and is making a mobile Diablo game, because they know that will bring in the dough.

Maybe the DLC changes things, but in the core game I did most of the content in the game and I was still only level 18 when I got to the final boss, and I found the difficulty level to be perfectly fine on normal mode. Though I realize that some people have an easier time.

It might be a problem for you and Steve, but it's not a problem for me and John. By tipping the scale in either side, one group will always be left unhappy. Instead, many games have mods that allow you to customize the experience to your liking. If you expect the developers to change something instead of using them, you're just being selfish.

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/9v2nq7/we_now_have_a_sense_of_just_how_badly_deadfire/

And this is the result of trying to please everyone and constantly changing the game. A flop (even though it only counts after-release sales, not backers). Even Blizzard figured out where the money is, shat at their core fans and is making a mobile Diablo game, because they know that will bring in the dough.

Mods are unofficial content, and many people have an aversion to using them. (I personally don't, but I think it's a perfectly valid stance to take. Having used mods, I have, like many who have used mods, also suffered some rather dire consequences.)

As to your second point, your logic is completely unproven, so you can't really make that argument. Apparently Deadfire bombed, but the fact is we have no way of telling why, at this point. Here's an interesting thing about mankind: we are incredibly good at creating plausible narratives after the fact, and we also have a propensity to regard these narratives as fact, although actually we often have no realistic way of checking whether they have anything to do with what is factual.

Guest Psychovampiric Shield

I do not think so. See, nobody is complaining that the game is too easy on "easy" or "normal", that would be selfish, but that it is too easy on "veteran" and especially PoTD, and part of that problem is rapid progression rate with inherent power creep.

They are making mobile Diablo because they saw how Ingress painted in Pokemon colours brought in the dough for others, and hope they will get some too. We will see about that. Market for mobile spyware riddled with microtransactions is quite saturated.

Edited by Psychovampiric Shield

I feel like the problem of deadfire becoming too easy is more about encounters not scaling hard enough with levels rather than you getting too many levels. Your party gets way more from leveling up than the enemies do as you have more optimized gear, builds, synergies and more control over all the possibilities high level brings. This means that the game can be hard in the beginning, reasonable in lv8 and way too easy from 14 onwards even if you arent outleveling the content.

Its true that XP is concentrated on neketaka and you can temporarily get overleveled if you do that content asap but i dont think that is the core problem of the game unlike in PoE1 where enemies were reasonable if you werent overleveled bt getting to that point was way too easy.

I havent played with the latest increases on lategame difficulty so my experiences could be outdated.

Edited by Uni

The irony is the backlash from Diablo Immortal caused their stock to crash. Edited by Verde

The mod ... its funny I am playing at minus 25% experience and right now I am wishing to level up a little faster lol.  Which is better too slow or too fast?  I am in the camp that making you work for levels is never a bad thing.

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I did the opposite: first I explored the outer islands and then I went to Neketaka. Well, not exactly, but I did avoid the main quest as much as possible.

As a result, I received significantly less xp and, unlike most people talking about it, I was not at level 20 halfway through the game.

Same here, I suppose: I was level 19 by the time I was tackling Splintered Reef and Drowned Barrows, and that was among the last things I did in the game. Not sure how other people maxed out their levels half-way through the game unless a) the DLCs make for that difference (I haven't played them yet), or b) they're relying on hyperbole.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The mod ... its funny I am playing at minus 25% experience and right now I am wishing to level up a little faster lol.  Which is better too slow or too fast?  I am in the camp that making you work for levels is never a bad thing.

After a pt leveling too fast, I would go with too sloe for sure. But is there another option (between -25% and normal)?

sign.jpg

I did the opposite: first I explored the outer islands and then I went to Neketaka. Well, not exactly, but I did avoid the main quest as much as possible.

As a result, I received significantly less xp and, unlike most people talking about it, I was not at level 20 halfway through the game.

Same here, I suppose: I was level 19 by the time I was tackling Splintered Reef and Drowned Barrows, and that was among the last things I did in the game. Not sure how other people maxed out their levels half-way through the game unless a) the DLCs make for that difference (I haven't played them yet), or b) they're relying on hyperbole.

I got to level 18 just after Hasongo. Level 19 when I was fighting the Kraken. And level 20 in the first DLC.

But I still had a good number of things to do. Iirc, I still had to do the islands in the North/NW, the Splintered Reef and the main quest after Hasongo.

sign.jpg

Guest Psychovampiric Shield

After a pt leveling too fast, I would go with too sloe for sure. But is there another option (between -25% and normal)?

Sure, default XP modifier is 1.35 and you can set it whatever value you like.

In addition to this, I also like to increase enemy health (from PoTD default 120% to 175%; at one point I had it over 200%, it was still playable but felt just slow and tedious).

Edited by Psychovampiric Shield

a very small percentage of this games audience finds it easy like 60 percent on steam didnt even get the boat fixed. bunch of dudes on a board whining that potd with scaling is too easy is uh not a good cross section.

i also like how quickly people use sales figures to justfy why their pet peeve about the game is the reason for failure. a critically overrated first game that met significant voluminous and seemingly coordinated backlash well after release, a very saturated nostalgia crpg market banking on aging gamers who often have a lot more going on with their lives than when baldurs gate came out, and the suddenly fashionable sneering about real time with pause being unplayable are the most likely culprits.

afaik it only bombed their unrealistic expectations and sold about as well as its peers. i havent played any of them namely because they all seem so incredibly flawed. other than dos2 but the writing in the 1st one was bad as hell. also that reddit thread is speculative. they still want to do a ppg so couldnt have cratered that hard

My next play would be more roleplay based, so I'll probably skip a lot of quests.

I'm considering doing the same.Instead of reducing xp with a mod, I simply do only what makes sense for my character. For example: no meddling with pirates.

This would let me finish the game faster, which is ok since I plan on playing it multiple times.

sign.jpg