Deadfire is too easy cuz quests gives you too much XP!

Quests for  major factions gives you huge ammount of XP   and that allowes  you to progress faster lvl up! I  leveled up up to level 14  by doing   just quests in Nekekataka.  i explored   just  3 islands !!!  75% of map is still unexplored and i am almost lvl15!  with only 20lvl cap   thats too much!I started on Veteran  now i  switched  to Path  of damned (hope this will slow me down). I think with next patch  OBS should   rebalanse  game XP wise. I play  on 3.0 Seeker Slayer Survivor.

• Like 3

As someone who skips most of the side content, I really hope that Obsidian leaves this to the modders

• Like 3

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I read about this issue and knowing the first game i used a mod in my first game to reduce the XP gain (part of Deadly Deadfire, 25-30% reduced quest XP). It seems i have done most of the quests in Neketaka, most of other bigger quests, 15 bounties and i've just reached level 14. It would seem like i made the right decision.

Edited by frogmoth
  • Like 2

in my opinion, quest faction should give appropriate amount of xp (base on difficulty). some gamers or reviewers just want to brief to the game (or people who already have 10 playthroughs). so in order for them to do so, they need to have the appropriate level.

this is different for the fans of the game. for me, i don't have a problem. i'm not sure what's the fuss was about. i actually did hasongo pretty late like level 16 (potd upscale). my only issue is that certain items are tied to main quest progression.

Edited by Archaven

Acctually I think the current exp gain is ok.When you have played many playthroughs,you just want to level up as soon as possible to use your builds and enjoy the game.(or new dlc)

Well said. They can make the less XP as a challenge. No need to to drag around everyone with you because you feel that everyone must follow your ideology. It's no different than social justice warriors

• Like 3

Agreed that less XP should be an option rather than the standard. I too like being maxed out for a prolonged amount of time and enjoy my endgame builds.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Acctually I think the current exp gain is ok.When you have played many playthroughs,you just want to level up as soon as possible to use your builds and enjoy the game.(or new dlc)

Well said. They can make the less XP as a challenge. No need to to drag around everyone with you because you feel that everyone must follow your ideology. It's no different than social justice warriors
The issue is the DLC content isn't targeted at end game (I know the next one is) so I had to carefully plan what quest items I wanted so as not to be absurdly overleveled.

I suppose I could have gimped myself with worse gear instead, but that seems nowhere near as rewarding.

I'm not sure how anyone could think this is anything but terrible game design. Can anyone think of a single RPG where you can reach max level when you've only played through 50% of the content? I really like the Pathfinder route where the base game will get you to around level 17 doing everything and each subsequent DLC/expansion allows you to get closer to 20. It really adds to a sense of progression, instead of stagnation as seen here.

That’s the opposite extreme. If I only max out when the game’s over, when am I going to enjoy my finished build? If I never get to enjoy it, why did I even spend time building it in the first place? There has to be a good chunk of content to play at max level—appreciate Deadfire has too much of that for many players’ taste (I don’t have a problem with that.) Having close to no content to play when you max out isn’t a good solution.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

That’s the opposite extreme. If I only max out when the game’s over, when am I going to enjoy my finished build? If I never get to enjoy it, why did I even spend time building it in the first place? There has to be a good chunk of content to play at max level—appreciate Deadfire has too much of that for many players’ taste (I don’t have a problem with that.) Having close to no content to play when you max out isn’t a good solution.

The solution is: There is no max level, like in Elex. You only need more and more xp to gain more levels. But that is only possible with more quests and respawning mobs.

Edited by baldurs_gate_2

If I only max out when the game’s over, when am I going to enjoy my finished build? If I never get to enjoy it, why did I even spend time building it in the first place? There has to be a good chunk of content to play at max level—appreciate Deadfire has too much of that for many players’ taste (I don’t have a problem with that.) Having close to no content to play when you max out isn’t a good solution.

There are different approaches. While I understand yours, it's not one I go for myself.

In PoE1, I reached max level in the beginning of Act III, when I went to Twin Elms. I lost my interest in the game right there and then.

So, the ability to develop my character is much more interesting and important than ever reaching maximum level. I believe I will reach max level in Deadfire long before the story comes to an end (unless it's a lot shorter than I think). I don't know what's going to happen then. My hunch is that I am not going to lose interest in the way I did with Poe1, but it will certainly be a disappointment.

To me, maxing out is just not interesting. Again, different approaches.

I don’t know how easy or hard PoE1 was to mod, but in Deadfire it’s very easy to change the rate at which XP is gained. If you fear you’ll lose interest in the game before it’s over, why not just mod in a slower XP progression? In a few minutes you’ll secure several extra hours of quality entertainment.

Guest Psychovampiric Shield

I'm not sure how anyone could think this is anything but terrible game design. Can anyone think of a single RPG where you can reach max level when you've only played through 50% of the content? I really like the Pathfinder route where the base game will get you to around level 17 doing everything and each subsequent DLC/expansion allows you to get closer to 20. It really adds to a sense of progression, instead of stagnation as seen here.

Actually I think it is deliberate, because most players will not get past 50% of content, but, because character progression is out of sync, they will still feel good about that part.

For the same reason, DLCs nowadays do not add content at the end, but somewhere in the middle of the game so that anyone can be potential buyer, even though it may further exacerbate end-game balance/difficulty issues.

I don’t know how easy or hard PoE1 was to mod, but in Deadfire it’s very easy to change the rate at which XP is gained. If you fear you’ll lose interest in the game before it’s over, why not just mod in a slower XP progression? In a few minutes you’ll secure several extra hours of quality entertainment.

You can also mod the level cap up! This is cool because it lets multiclass characters get max power level