Hello everyone, and thank you in advance for your help!

I was just able to purchase the game a couple days ago and am finally off from work for two days!  I've decided that I want my first main to be a Crusader (Darcozzi Paladini/Fighter-Unbroken) and I would really appreciate some seasoned players advice on attribute allocation.  He will be one of my tanks, don't know the entire party composition yet besides having a dedicated healer and a wizard, some type of rogue (MAYBE multiclassed with fighter).  I've been able to gather a little bit of information but not much on how to best allocate my attribute points.  I would love to be able to do a decent amount of damage as well as tanking, but am not sure if that's possible yet. I am also very open to the subclass of paladin, I thought Shieldbearers would be overkill on defense (maybe not) and would like to dish out as much damage as possible as a main tank can =) While also having a blast and thoroughly enjoying my Main.

Here's what I was thinking so far, so please give advice and critique away =)

Might: 14 or 15

Con: 14

Dex: 10

Per: 12 or 13

Int: 10

Resolve: (17 with a total 18, +1 from lore)

I would love to have resolve down to just a flat 16 to give me some more options, however besides being the main tank I figured this would be the character in my party with the most resolve and there are some checks later in game that require a score of 18, if I read/remember correctly.

Thank you all once again and I look forward to your responses!

Edited by WarDEagle

This is the tankiest class combo in the game. If you max Res, you definitely won’t need a 14 Con. A 10 Con is the absolute maximum you should spend points on. And if you sword and board it, you won’t even need that.

(Honestly, you’ll probably be tanky enough with this class combo with a flat Res and Con, even without a shield. But I’m assuming you want to be really, really tanky.)

You want someone in your party with a high Per (at least 16) to spot traps. Keep that in mind.

Mig is very good cuz it increases DPS and healing, and you have lots of sources of healing.

Int is good for both Paladins and Fighters, extending durations of lots of abilities.

Melee DPS-wise, you get the most benefit from keeping Mig, Per and Dex roughly on a par.

So lots of choices. I’d be tempted to do something like:

M 13

C 8

D 13

P 13

I 13

R 18

for a super tanky, well-balanced build, or:

M 18

C 8

D 15

P 15

I 13

R 10

for a more DPS oriented, but still very tanky, build.

Edited by whimper

This is the tankiest class combo in the game. If you max Res, you definitely won’t need a 14 Con. A 10 Con is the absolute maximum you should spend points on. And if you sword and board it, you won’t even need that.

(Honestly, you’ll probably be tanky enough with this class combo with a flat Res and Con, even without a shield. But I’m assuming you want to be really, really tanky.)

You want someone in your party with a high Per (at least 16) to spot traps. Keep that in mind.

Mig is very good cuz it increases DPS and healing, and you have lots of sources of healing.

Int is good for both Paladins and Fighters, extending durations of lots of abilities.

Melee DPS-wise, you get the most benefit from keeping Mig, Per and Dex roughly on a par.

So lots of choices. I’d be tempted to do something like:

M 13

C 8

D 13

P 13

I 13

R 18

for a super tanky, well-balanced build, or:

M 18

C 8

D 15

P 15

I 13

R 10

for a more DPS oriented, but still very tanky, build.

Thank you so much for all of the info Whimper! I am going to be the main tank for this party and the only reason I had RES maxed was for the checks I had read about, but I am very glad you posted this as it is MUCH different than what I was going for and will allow me a lot more flexibility and I believe a more fun experience.

The only remaining question I have is about weapon style.  I was FOR SURE going to go 1h+shield, but if I'm understanding you correctly, I can get away with either 2h or dual wielding? IF that is the case, which is the better option for this multiclass and thank you so much again!  Also, thank you very much to everyone else who gave advice =)

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all of the info Whimper! I am going to be the main tank for this party and the only reason I had RES maxed was for the checks I had read about, but I am very glad you posted this as it is MUCH different than what I was going for and will allow me a lot more flexibility and I believe a more fun experience.

The only remaining question I have is about weapon style. I was FOR SURE going to go 1h+shield, but if I'm understanding you correctly, I can get away with either 2h or dual wielding? IF that is the case, which is the better option for this multiclass and thank you so much again! Also, thank you very much to everyone else who gave advice =)

You're welcome!

Regarding your question: if you choose the right talents, and are going with a full party, you'll definitely be tough enough to survive with either kind of weapon set-up. But you'll do a bit more damage if you dual wield or use a two-handed weapon, and you'll be tankier, and require less micromanagement, if you go weapon and shield. So really, a matter of taste. (Though if you're going Unbroken for fighter, the weapon and shield is especially appealing because you get the extra bonus for using a shield.)

That dex and mig isnt going to add as much dmg as per though.

Yeah, if you're playing PotD, Per (in isolation) tends to add a bit more to damage than Mig (in isolation) -- roughly 2% per point. (If you're not playing PotD, I believe Per isn't quite as attractive.) But Dex adds more than either Per or Mig -- roughly 3% per point. So if you had to maximize one, and cared only about DPS, Dex is the thing you'd want to max.

But those differences are swamped by the fact that you want Dex, Mig and Per to roughly be on a par to maximize DPS (since their increases are effectively multiplicative). So maxing Dex at the cost of having a low Mig and/or Per is a bad idea from the perspective of maximizing DPS. You want them to be roughly on a par, if you want to maximize DPS.

(thelee has a really helpful discussion of some of this.)

But then there's the fact that Mig is also really helpful for healing abilities, since it boosts all of those too. And a paladin/fighter has a *lot* of really nice healing abilities: Constant Recovery, Unbending, Exalted Endurance, Lay on Hands... That's why I suggested (in the second stat array) sticking a bit more in Mig than Dex or Per.

But really, lots of reasonable assignments are good here. As long as you keep them roughly on a par (say, within 3 points of each other), you'll be doing pretty well from a DPS standpoint.

Edited by whimper

Paladin / Fighter is overkill IMVHO. Each of those classes is very tanky on its own. At least make him a Devoted for a little more damage, as advised. Also Darcozzi is the worst Paladin subclass, by far. I'd go Goldpact for sturdiness, Kind Wayfarer for healing or Bleak Walker for damage.

But in general I'd go for a Swashbuckler (with Rogue Trickster) for all my tanking needs. Holy Slayer works too, but has less engagement slots then Fighter with Defender Stance, so needs specialized equipment with bonus engagement slots for full tanking duty.

Edited by Haplok