Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Pillars of Eternity No Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
773 replies to this topic

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

Frost is struggling to cast Combusting Wounds, but due to some bug, she goes several rounds without doing anything. Does anyone know why a character might refuse to take an order even when the action icon shows up correctly on their portrait? I don't see how she'd be unable to see her target; there aren't any walls getting in her way, and she's not disabled by anything.[/quote]

That's annoying, isn't it? It happens predictably when you give a character two orders (with one being a modal or insta-cast) during a single pause. Arcane Veil + spell is the most common cause, in my experience. Cancelling all orders, unpausing, and then reselecting a new order, seems to fix it.

On occasion it happens for other reason that are harder to understand and remedy. It happened to Alyssa repeatedly in the Raedric fight: she couldn't get a single power off.

I'd appreciate commentary from someone more familiar with the Unity engine. Has anyone else noticed this issue? What are the best practices for avoidance and remedy? It may be a minor issue in the context of reload play, but it's kind of important for us.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, Yesterday, 03:08 PM.

• Enuhal and semiticgod like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

Alyssa, Wood Elf Cipher: Entry 6- Raedric Hold Revisited

After gaining a few levels in the D, we returned to Guilded Vale to end the reign of our esteemed lord, Raedric VII. In retrospect, we should have rejoined Eder for this. If anyone should kill Raedric, it's him.

I'll skip coverage of the minor fights in the sanctuary and cut straight to Raedric.

As mentioned earlier, Alyssa was affected by a glitch here. Despite repeated attempts, she failed to cast a single power. Nonetheless,our party prevailed with ease. Here's our opening: Kana, Nautilus of Ogrammon; Pallegina, Oaken Scarab; Alora, Scroll of Defense; Aloth, Llengrath's; Alyssa, Psychovampiric Shield; Durance Scroll of Protection. The scroll use here was wasteful: a Circle of Protection from Durance would have sufficed.

Spoiler

Most of the damage was done by Chill Fog + Combusting Wounds + Iconic Projection, as usual. Note that after abandoning an attempt to cast Psychovampiric Shield, Alyssa has moved on to Phantom Foes. That order, too, failed to resolve. 

Spoiler

No matter. Honestly, there wasn't much Alyssa could add to this conversation. The AoE stuff had us covered. That Eyestrike, though? Yup: That also failed to resolve.

Spoiler

Kana wins the race to the finish. We win. Yay! But remind me to do this earlier next time: L6 is way too late.!

Spoiler

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, Yesterday, 04:40 PM.

• Serg BlackStrider, Enuhal and semiticgod like this

semiticgod

semiticgod

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 140 posts

Does anyone know how many things trigger Combusting Wounds? If it applies multiple times from Chill Fog, would it also apply multiple times from Ectopsychic Echo? What about multiple beam spells like Ray of Fire, or cloud spells, or damage over-time effects like Envenomed Strike? Does it also apply to the negative Endurance effect from a chanter's song? It seems like an excellent way to magnify damage, both on crowds and on critters with high damage reduction.

• Enuhal likes this

Ivanfyodorovich

Ivanfyodorovich

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
Hi all. I've been enjoying following along with your runs. I think this is a terrific way to experience the game and to share community around it. I'm excited to join in. Feedback is welcome. 

Aures, Wood Elf Paladin, Shieldbearer of St. Elcga: Introduction

Game Version: 3.7.0.1318 with White March I & II & Deadfire Pack
Difficulty: Path of the Damned
Settings: Maim Before Death: Off; Injuries: On; Expert Mode: On; Trial of Iron: On
Mods: None
Expert Mode:
Spoiler

I'm going for my first Frozen Crown run with this group. I'm close to a completionist PotD run with another party using reloads, and I feel relatively good about going for a PotD NR along with expert mode. I've chosen a party to suit the lack of targeting circles (no wizard!). I also wanted to use some different companions than my current end game run, where I'm playing with all of the PoE2 companions plus Kana. 

This group will be all female and will feature 2 custom characters (a priest and a chanter), along with Pallegina, Sagani, and Maneha. I will use other companions until I'm able to recruit the full team. I haven't yet decided who will become the Hercule Poirot of Caed Nua yet, but easy money is usually on Durance or Kana. 

Main Character, Aures, Wood Elf Paladin, Shieldbearer of St. Elcga

Spoiler

Main Character Description: 

Spoiler

Custom Party Members:
Spoiler

Gregoria, Mountain Dwarf Priestess of Eothas
Spoiler

Niclesa, Wild Orlan Chanter
Spoiler

Party Plan & Builds:
Spoiler

• Serg BlackStrider, Enuhal, Alesia_BH and 1 other like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

My understanding is that Combusting Wounds triggers on hits, but not DoT ticks. It originally did work with DoT ticks, but it was nerfed so as not to sometime in 2017.

It works nicely with spells and weapons that hit multiple time, such as Minoletta's and blunderbusses. Stationary AoE's and wall spells also work. It should work with beam spells, too.

In Alyssa's run we're currently developing safe usage conditions for Ectopsychic Echo. We've been keeping it simple thus far. Relatively soon we'll work in fineries. We'll be trying Kana, Touch of Rot (via Rotfinger Gloves); Aloth, Chill Fog; Pallegina, Combusting Wounds (via Ring of Searing Flames); Durance, Iconic Projection; Alora, Escape (over kill zone); Alyssa, Ectopsychic Echo (on Alora); Alora, Ray of Fire (via scroll). That should kill some folk.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, Yesterday, 07:41 PM.

semiticgod

semiticgod

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 140 posts

It's good to see Ectopsychic Echo being put to good use. I think you'll find it very rewarding. I notice you're using your rogue at an Echo target, like I did. I don't remember if I used Escape for that purpose (like you intend to) or just used Shadowing Beyond to escape engagement while stretching the beam, but I think rogues are a good option as a target simply because they don't need to be at the front line. There's less opportunity cost with having them run out past the wall.

• Enuhal and Alesia_BH like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

It's good to see Ectopsychic Echo being put to good use. I think you'll find it very rewarding. I notice you're using your rogue at an Echo target, like I did. I don't remember if I used Escape for that purpose (like you intend to) or just used Shadowing Beyond to escape engagement while stretching the beam, but I think rogues are a good option as a target simply because they don't need to be at the front line. There's less opportunity cost with having them run out past the wall.

We'll use Shadowing Beyond at some points, Escape at others. 

The advantage of Escape is that it let's Alora safely clear hazard AoEs, and bypass chokepoint engagement areas, meaning we don't have to fight in the open or restrain our AoE casts to use EE. Escape is also per encounter, not per rest.

Take this test, for example, where we paralyzed our foes first to further insure Alora's safety. We're engaged at a chokepoint. Alora activates Escape.

Spoiler

Alora is safely through the engagement zone; she receives the beam.

Spoiler

It works. And the logic would be the same if there were stationary AoEs in place. Alora can jump over those, too.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, Yesterday, 08:39 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

Welcome, welcome, welcome, Ivanfyodorovich! I've been noticing your name in the reader field. I've been hoping you'd join us.

I look forward to Aures's run!

Best,

A.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts

The Crew grows up, wonderful! Welcome onboard, Ivanfyodorovich! 

semiticgod

semiticgod

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 140 posts

@Ivanfyodorovish: Best of luck with Aures! It's always good to see a completionist run. They might take longer and they're less safe in certain ways, but they can be very rich and full.

I'm surprised to see someone try out Expert Mode, to be honest. It seems like it would be a huge disadvantage, and immensely inconvenient, to miss out on so much information. What information is still available in Expert Mode?

• Serg BlackStrider and Enuhal like this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts

I'm surprised to see someone try out Expert Mode, to be honest. It seems like it would be a huge disadvantage, and immensely inconvenient, to miss out on so much information. What information is still available in Expert Mode?

I haven't run Expert mode myself but have most of those options off anyway and according this info there will no more Maim Companions Before Death, AoE Highlighting and Show Relative Defenses (i.e. the % popup on enemies comparing their known defense scores to your accuracy when you target them with weapon or spell) and other easy-of-use options. The Upper-Left window, showing their current status effects is still available, I believe. So all in all, it's not a big deal, especially for BG experienced player. It's really convenient to have AoE highlighting but when you get used with game mechanic you'll be fine with it Off. And for melee heavy party you don't need it On either.

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, Today, 02:16 AM.

• Enuhal, Alesia_BH and semiticgod like this

Enuhal

Enuhal

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts

Yup, Expert Mode is basically meant to recreate the original infinity engine experience (for me, the three major differences to my usual gameplay are 1) no stash access outside of towns/resting, 2) no AoE indicators, 3) no infos on enemy stats/defenses). It does, however, feel inconvenient once you've gotten used to all of these things. Such is the way of games: People might complain about certain new features, claiming that their nostalgic experiences may get ruined by them, but once they've actually started using them, they don't really want to go back - which is why most people prefer to play without expert mode, despite many people initially being vocal supporters of it.

I think the actual disadvantages of expert mode aren't big at all once you have some basic game knowledge - as in BG, you'll get used to the spell AoEs relatively quickly, and a general idea on enemy defenses isn't hard to acquire. In truth, as FNGRenegade has said before, it's more annoying than difficult. I think it's mostly only used because it's part of the official Triple Crown settings (which is the reason I had it active with Liresh).

• Serg BlackStrider, Alesia_BH and semiticgod like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

I think the actual disadvantages of expert mode aren't big at all once you have some basic game knowledge - as in BG, you'll get used to the spell AoEs relatively quickly, and a general idea on enemy defenses isn't hard to acquire.

Agreed. Expert mode isn't burdensome if you've developed expertise. In BG I would have no use for the targeting circles and enemy information PoE provides. I intuitively know the range of each spell and I'm aware of the resistances and immunities of my enemies. 

Due to my comparative inexperience with PoE, however, the additional feedback and data are helpful- very helpful. Or so it seems.

The only thing I'm wondering is if the feedback may be slowing my development as a player. There is a distinction between knowing something and needing to look something up. Both allow one to make informed judgements, but retained knowledge does a better job of empowering creativity. I'm tempted to try Expert Mode relatively soon , in the interest of nudging myself into memorizing relevant combat information. I suspect I'll play smarter once the information is in my head, rather than on screen.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, Today, 08:27 AM.

FNGRenegade

FNGRenegade

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Steam:FNGRenegade
  • Xbox Gamertag:FNGRenegade

Yeah, I found I already knew the aoe of most of the spells pretty well. Especially if you build your casters with a lot of int which basically expands the Extra AoE that hits only enemies and not your party as I understand it. It's a little harder to for example set up a perfect kill zones with the aoe going up the the toes of your tanks. But honestly I mostly noticed the issue when I accidentally shift click a good weapon and it goes into my stash and I'm sighing like oh... yeah now I won't be able to use it until I rest with a big risk I forget even when I do cause it's a little later. And it kind of promotes risk avoidance, I noticed I rested a lot more when peoples health were low because if they run out of health they die, it's not really harder it just makes you more risk averse which is not something I particularly enjoy. You can argue that no reload runs do that too but I actually don't really play them like that, I play normally the no reload part is only there because otherwise I feel there is no use. It's easy to doze off while playing when you can just reload the save right before the fight anyway. Especially in a game like PoE which makes 4 autos aves every time you zone if I don't play no reload it becomes a snooze fest for me.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

semiticgod, Serg BlackStrider