The Pillars of Eternity No Reload Challenge

Tenth Update: Iacchus, the Pale Elf Wizard - Randomly Generated Party Challenge, PotD

Not much to report in terms of combat for the most recent session. I mostly explored First Fires and Brackenbury, completed some mostly non-violent quests (A Two Story Job, A Call to Court, The Theories of Pandgram), got my hands on the obsidian lamp figurine (using some lockpicks and the +1 mechanics resting bonus) and started building up my keep (mostly going for prestige right now in order to get access to adventures). The only major battle in the two areas was one I only encountered by accident, because I forgot which dialogue options I had to choose to complete "Rogue Knight" the peaceful way - so I ended up having to fight against Penhelm. Luckily, I already got my party to level 5 with "A Two Story Job", so I was well prepared for such an encounter (Picks: Vigorous Defense for Raiden, Dirty Fighting for Alkyone, Alacrity of Motion + Expose Vulnerabilities for Numitor).
Many enemy fighters with knockdown were involved in this battle, so Raiden was unable to keep many enemies engaged. We started to weaken our opponents with Speaker of the

Spoiler

79lihhskferg.png

I was able to get the enemy forces into a position where I was able to effectively apply my AoE spells - Chill Fog, Slicken, Noxious Burst, Dancing Bolts, Expose Vulnerabilities, Iconic Projection, Sunbeam etc. Not much the enemy could do about that, and the battle quickly turned against Penhelm:

Spoiler

see73hq7zohe.png

Victory was ours. I decided to spend some gold on learning all of the available grimoire spells for our wizards, regretting some previous spending (I found a fine large shield immediately after upgrading the one Raiden hat). I did end up upgrading "Whispers of Yenwood" to fine, though. The Blue Stone Sceptre was given to Surya, who will eventually use it to get his boar shapeshift back if needed. With everyone at level 5, am now ready to make my way to Raedric's Keep.

• Like 1

Eleventh Update: Iacchus, the Pale Elf Wizard - Randomly Generated Party Challenge, PotD

I decided to clear out the entirety of Raedric's Keep, which is something I usually never do - generally, I go for Raedric at level 5-7 with a frontal assault, which results in four big battles in total, after that the whole thing is done. Why did I want to do everything? Three reasons: a) More gold from selling all the things. b) an opportunity to upgrade the Blue Stone Sceptre quite a bit due to tons of battles. c) I was trying out different wizard spells (as I don't have much experience with wizards) that I usually never use, so a large variety of not too difficult battles would be a good opportunity to do so.

We started with the courtyard, which usually involves two big pulls. The first one went fairly well, with Raiden holding the front line, the others providing buffs and some experimental aggressive spells and Alkyone taking out the enemy archers by herself:

Spoiler

g5dkcnukhfhd.png

Alkyone did end up accidentally pulling another enemy from the northwestern part of the courtyard, but we still ended up victorious, though slightly more wounded than was neccessary:

Spoiler

1722cdp9h1q7.png

The second courtyard battle started in a similiar fashion, though I was more careful with Alkyone. With Raiden's vigorous defense, I started throwing some reflex based spells directly at him to test out their maximum damage potential (rolling flame, crackling bolt, fireball etc.):

Spoiler

z8ou8tsujyqv.png

Once again, we got through this one without a knockout, but lost some health, especially on Raiden and Alkyone:

Spoiler

a482ubu81gyd.png

Now, it was time for us to move up the ramparts, clear them out and make our way to the temple area. As Raidens hitpoints started getting lower and lower with each battle, I started using my wizards for Veiltanking, even adding the shade summons for one of the larger battles:

Spoiler

o4ad8183yzyz.png

Now, what I really should've done is obvious: Rest. But I wanted to clear out the entire courtyard + temple without resting once (why? no idea). This approach almost turned into a terrible disaster during the last battle of the area, the main temple room, where I started off with Numitor using his final Veil as a tank. I had pretty much no spells left for that one, and my plan was to use the wood beetle summons to gain an advantage - but I heavily underestimated the number of enemies I would have to face. As the wood beetles died, we had no spells, no per-encounter abilities (except for a few second winds and Surya's shapeshift), almost no scrolls (none that would be very useful for this specific situation) and low endurance or even health on most party members:

Spoiler

l2yonhitu6cu.png

I had to retreat with our veil-less wizards. While Raiden had almost no health left, he was the only one even capable of tanking without the use of spells. I hoped for him to get knocked out so the other could flee, but his constant recovery soon turned out to be too powerful - I even intended to sacrifice him permanently so the others could escape as he got surrounded before I thought to myself: "Let's at least try to save him - if he dies, the run is as good as over anyway - we would have no frontliner at all." - so we turned around, taking out the one acolyte who didn't attack Raiden:

Spoiler

56syk6jr1v7a.png

At this point, the enemy priests were out of aggressive spells as well - while Raiden's hitpoints were very low, he was only getting missed or grazed, despite being flanked - so his hitpoints were dropping very, very slowly, giving us some time. All I had left was attacks, so it was mostly up to Surya and Alkyone. In a race against time, the number of enemies was reduced to 1 while Raiden still had 18 hitpoints left:

Spoiler

jrcvw9yly3h5.png

And we - barely - ended up making it. Raiden is at 11, but all the enemies are dead:

Spoiler

j49ybu1si2rl.png

That was way too close! Time to finally rest. Now, we made our way to the dungeon, dealing with various vessels first and climbing up to the other side of the ramparts:

Spoiler

xjijhfz7ah6t.png

Once again, I didn't rest for the entirety of the dungeons, so when facing Osyra, Raiden was too low with his points to tank. Iacchus took his place, and while he took a lot of damage due to spells, we were able to quickly weaken the opponents by affecting most of them with blind effects, Combusting Wounds, Interdiction and the like:

Spoiler

gwp29evduikr.png

Surya's Returning Storm did its thing, and Iacchus managed to hold on while an Iconic Projection took down Osyra herself:

Spoiler

wu5l5vqbn2cj.png

Another rest, and I started to fight my way through the keep. Most of the items I found around here turned out to be relatively bad, with the exception of a ring with three Combusting Wound charges, which Alkyone can use. There's one relatively big battle near the entrance, though I approached the enemy from behind, giving me a huge tactical advantage - and since I planned to rest once more before facing Raedric, I was able to go all out with spells and per rest abilities:

Spoiler

hj5j7xuexz0t.png

Now, for Raedric. We buffed up with food and ale, engaged in combat, starting with the usual accuracy buffs, adding in a scroll of protection and some shades:

Spoiler

9v9rzpbkf2fg.png

Numitor was forced to activate his Veil, as we prepared to weaken the enemy with Expose Vulnerabilities, Twin Stones, Sunbeam and Bewildering Spectacle. Raiden, at this point, had already taken down one archmage via Fan of Flames scroll:

Spoiler

qbwc9es94bat.png

The Bewildering Spectacle actually managed to hit Raedric himself, giving us a huge advantage as the enemy line completely crumbled:

Spoiler

fzhk9a5krky5.png

In a cruel twist of fate, a champion of berath was the one to take down Raedric. Now, we only had to clean up the rest:

Spoiler

zb6wrckxhr4v.png

With the keep cleared, we looted everything, ended up not equipping most of the new items and buying the bronze horn at Gilded Vale. We also had to fight off attacking skeletons at Caed'Nua, and Iacchus gained level 6, learning the blast talent and Llengrath's Displaced Image. Next time, I'm planning to clear the Endless Paths level 1 + 2.

• Like 1

Final Update: Iacchus, the Pale Elf Wizard - Randomly Generated Party Challenge, PotD

To make things short: We cleared the Endless Paths levels 1+2, killed Captain Emery and her party to finish "A Return to Court" and travelled to Ondra's Gift to complete the remaining Defiance Bay sidequests. The last one we wanted to do for now, before moving on to some parts of the mainquest and Dyrford Village, was "The Forgotten". I forgot about the enemy wizard opening with Bewildering Spectacle, which affected three of our party members for ~10 seconds, but I was able to recover with statue summons. I felt like I had the battle firmly under control after both of the enemy wizards were dead, so I basically stopped paying attention, barely noticing that two of their melee fighters were taking out most of my party. I have no idea how Numitor even got knocked out - I remembered him being at full endurance, and then suddenly he was gone - he would've easily been able to stabilize the situation once more, as he had a lot of spells left, including both of his Veils. Suddenly, only Aurora and Raiden were still standing, soon after that it was Raiden in a one on one against the enemy barbarian. It was super close, with the enemy being near death, but Raiden wasn't really able to hit him. In retrospect, there were a ton of things I could've done to easily turn this around (I had lots of scrolls, one more statue summons and most of my spells left), but I simply didn't realize quickly enough that I wasn't in control of the battle anymore.

I will be taking a break from the game for now, good luck to everyone else!

• Sad 1

No access to confusion just yet, as my party was only at level 6. The battle would've certainly been rather easy at level 7, with access to amazing level 4 spells (and it still should've been easily doable at level 6 - poor execution and a lack of attention were my downfall. Things usually go very smoothly for me in Chapter II, so I didn't even expect to get close to death somewhere in Defiance Bay).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Serg BlackStrider said:

That one (bound to Priest). Enuhal has it bound to Druid so some abilities are different:

pBgPrQj.jpg

Cool. I just never heard it called it blue stone Sceptre. My fault for never reading beyond the stats section.

It's my favorite implement, and the damn best one you get until you get the ability to make superb weapon. For those that don't know, enchant implements requires double the crafting components.

• 2 months later...

Since I'm not sure I'm not all alone here nowadays, just a note for the record that Grim Face finally finished my yet another one completionist/ upscaled/ PoTD/  Trial of Iron PoE/WM1/WM2 run. Each and every quest/task/bounty were resolved one way or another. The only exceptions are some companions' personal quests (Durance, Maneha, Zahua). The rest of the run (after my latest update) mostly mirrored the Gloomy Face's one with slight deviations alone the pass. This time we were able to talk Alpine Dragon out of fighting, completed WM2 main quest and defeated Kraken before going to Cragholdt Bluffs > Mowrghek Ien and fought Adra Dragon long before the end of the run. Having Grieving Mother in the Crew allowed us to accomplish the most clean and perfect Adra Dragon's and Thaos' fights I've ever had. I'm so impressed with her performance that Grim Face graduates to the Deadfire as Priest (Eothas)/ Cipher (Ascendant) Mystic.

Final (pre-Thaos) unbuffed Crew stats and equipment. Statistics are sometimes pretty weird since game failed to recognize the characters' achievements right - I've noticed much higher numbers for GM multiple times and she claimed the Adra Dragon herself (not the Hired Mender, whatever it is...) - but whatever:

Spoiler

Grim Face:
Yoh08Gy.jpg

Eder:
q4vxLOD.jpg

Aloth:
5G9PxtN.jpg

Sagani:
JSIB8Rk.jpg

Grieving Mother:
2X5uNHc.jpg

Pallegina:
fqkHaxG.jpg

I have many and even more screenshots of the run so will be able to restore more or less detailed updates (in case there are interest and someone out here to read them...) but for the moment I'm eager to graduate into the Deadfire:

Spoiler

j6bpOjA.jpg

to be continued....

Edited by Serg BlackStrider
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Apologies for the confusion, Serg!

Boeroer was partially correct. The "Deadline" should have been "Deadfire." The "Stranger" was intended, though. It was supposed to be a joke.

I was just wondering whether you got around to running Grim Face through Deadfire and if so how it went.

Best,

A.

• Like 1

Oh, no need for apologies! 😃 It's all right.

Yep, Grim Face as Cipher (Ascendant)/ Priest of Eothas went through Deadfire (PotD / upscaled / Trial of Iron / no Berath blessings) just fine. He hit level cap already, almost finished the main plot (just need to choose a faction to follow/or move alone and head to the end game), finished Beast of Winter DLC and started SSS DLC. I don't like Seeker, Slayer, Survivor DLC much, truth be told it's my least favorite part of the PoE2, so I'm running through it only for the sake of completeness. And then I've put that run on pause and started another one with Cipher (Ascendant)/Druid (Lifegiver). And you know, I like this combo much more - two my most favorite classes combined, pure pleasure. Cipher is a beast and I've found priests in Deadfire much less interesting so I run Grim Face mostly as cipher with some priest's abilities. And... I'm a bit disappointed. I'll finish that run someday but at the moment Cipher/Druid is much more fun and I'm going to finish Deadfire with him first. And then I'm going to run the new full saga no-reload as Cipher>Cipher/Druid (I've started PoE1 with Cipher on Triple Crown, my first time expert mode run, and hit level 4 with him there already) with an intention of fully document it here.

What about you? Where are you roaming now? 😃

• 1 month later...

I'm sad to report my first real NR run in PoE2 ended in totally unnecessary defeat. Aures cleared Port Maje island with Triple Crown enabled, but then died to Beggar Wifruth while on her way to Neketaka. I foolishly thought I could win a boarding battle against a host of pistol wielding pirates. What's even sadder is that choosing "surrender" let's you go on your way with reduced food, water, and gold, and I had very little of all three to worry about losing. 

I'm doing some more planning for my run with Jan, and will post soon about the progress for him. It will be slower, as I'm planning to run at least one other run in parallel to help me remember things before I take them on. Jan is adding Forgotten Fist to Unbroken Fighter. I'm excited for some brawler tanking w/ easy Enfeeble from the start. I'm planning for a VTC run, so will bring along Pallegina and Fassina, Konstanten, and Ydwin. 

@Ivanfyodorovich Yeah, sea battles in Deadfire are unpredictable due to RNG and depend little on your skills. Personally I'm trying to avoid them as much as possible in no-reload. My current run with Cipher(Ascendant)/Druid(Lifegiver) is pretty smooth and fun and I think I'll be ready to full saga no-reload with him after finishing this run. Stay tuned! 😃

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jan, the philosopher Brawler (Unbroken/Forbidden Fist) has died in Neketaka. I was playing on Veteran, Trial of Iron, with several balance/bug fix mods installed. The Community Patch, the Balance Polishing Patch, Enhanced UI, and Carnage Visual Radius. All DLC installed. Playing Real Time With Pause. 

Because I am now playing on a Windows machine, I'm not able to load my PoE1 save file from Jan. Instead, I made a custom history that fit the choices he made. 

Here's level 1 Jan. I moved 1 point from CON and 1 point from PER and increased his RES. Dying and coming back to life can change a person, no?

Spoiler

rX4FzyH.jpg

N3qVPsh.jpg

ZEwi9ES.png

QRPHOzH.png

We made short work of Port Maje, bringing on 2 hired adventurers, an Ancient Druid and a Ranger, to help, along with Eder (Swashbuckler) and Xoti (Priest). We skipped the big beast fight in the center of the digsite, stealthing past. Inside, I immediately notice how much easier these fights are on Veteran compared to Path of the Damned. This sense of easiness will be my undoing. 

We hit level 5 upon arriving to Neketaka, and I set out to get my part together. I'm planning to run Konstanten, Pallegina, Fassina, and Ydwin. We are able to pick up everyone but Fassina right away. For her, we set out to do the Archmage's Vault. We are able to complete it with no combat, and the gang is all together. 

From there we go to the Gullet and complete quests until we get the message from Dereo. I like to go into the Undercity to find Botaro and fight some Darguls and Rotghasts as a test of our abilities. Those fights go smoothly, and we are level 6 all around. 

Along the way we hit level 7, and when Ateira tries to stop us, I try some different dialogue options and we end up in combat. That fight is so easy, that I am now thinking we are a force to be reckoned with. In fact, I don't notice that I haven't set up Pallegina's new chant (Ancient Memory). 

We head back to Queen's Berth to complete the Bardatto quest, and Talfor stops us along the way. Silly pirates, I think. We are now an unstoppable killing machine. I try to punch Talfor - I've never done that option, and what fun to try new things. 

Spoiler

0qycESV.jpg

Talfor is 3 skulls, and the rest of his group is at least 2. We start the fight surrounded, and even with several charms landing from Ydwin, the party starts dropping quickly. I realize I don't have Ancient memory set up, and can't get heals out fast enough. In the end, Jan is left along, unable to hit them, and slowly whittled away. 

RIP

• Like 1

Getting another run off the ground. 

Lucca, Moon Godlike Darcozzi Paladini: Introduction

Game Version: 3.7.0.1318 - No DLC enabled
Difficulty: Hard
Settings: Maim Before Death: On; Injuries: On; Expert Mode: Off; Trial of Iron: On

Main Character Description: 
Lucca is a Darcozzi on the run. Fleeing the retribution of a rival Valian house, she fled with her employer to settle in parts unknown. Their escape was short lived, however. When the rivals found them it was already too late. Lucca escaped and drifted on ships until hearing word of opportunities to settle in the Dyrwood. 
Spoiler

SoD2phI.jpg

We are planning to run with Aloth, Kana, Pallegina, Sagani, and a custom priest of Wael. I will be trying to get through as quickly and safely as possible, while setting up my Deadfire run. Here goes nothing!

• Like 1

Lucca Act I

We speed through Act I as fast as we can, though we do all the quests in Gilded Vale, sans Raedric. We snuck in, talked with Nedemar, freed Giaccolo, and killed Osrya, though. Having Durance and a custom priest is slower than usual, but we make it through with only 1 knock out before Defiance Bay. The fights are much easier on Hard, but I'm still playing the big fights safe.

Spoiler

nDeqMzC.jpg

We told Aufra the truth, told Wirtan to redeem himself, and sent Maerwald's soul free. On to Act II.

• Like 1

Lucca Act II & WMI

We head to defiance bay at level 4 and quickly build up to level 6 doing as many nonviolent/low level quests. We are going to ally with the Crucible Knights, though we complete Osric's Breastplate to get access to the Dozens shop. 

At level 6 we go back to kill Raedric. A bit easy, as expected, but that's my plan with this run. No level scaling, stay a few levels ahead of the content to reduce the risk and speed up the playthrough. I have done enough PoE1 runs now to not miss the challenge. 

Back in Defiance we do Catacombs, Brakenbury (including Aloth's quest) and some in Ondra's gift. Then head to the Endless Paths to clear through to Persistence.

Back in Defiance Bay, we do Heritage Hill. I went in through the left side in Valtas Manor, pulling the whole house at once. Things got a little interesting for a moment.

In Ondra's Gift, I fight Lillith, thanks to a careless dialogue choice with Maerwith. This fight also poses a challenge with no Prayer Against Imprisonment. 

Spoiler

euRf9up.jpg

We speed through Dyrford, peaceful solution with the ogre, kill our way through to Wymund and have Grieving Mother wipe her (drop GM after the quest). Tie up the loose ends in Defiance Bay, and Head out to the White March. I do not enable level scaling here - I want to make this go as quickly as possible. I'm also playing a lot in the middle of the night in between feeds for my newborn baby, so it helps to have things be a little more forgiving. 

Here, I'm really trying to not get caught up in side quests. I do not pick up either companion in Stalwart. In Russetwood I snag the Bear belt for Pallegina, who is now rocking Leadspitter and a Pistol. We grab Bittercut, though no one is set up to use it. I make peace with the Ogres, snagging Golden Gaze for Aloth, and we head to the Battery. I grab the other half of Stormcaller for Sagani. 

I have to double back to start the Giftbearer quest in order to have Urthal spawn to pick up St. Ydwen's Redeemer for Pallegina. This is really just for another instakill proc on the Eyeless and the Thaos fight. It will be easy to level it up as we clear the battery. Back in town we awaken the woman in the inn, and return to clear the Battery. Things go smoothly here, though I make the classic mistake in the corner fight where spirits spawn inside the room and aggro along with the vessels in the hallway. Thankfully my priest doesn't die in the initial salvo, and I'm able to stabilize. For most of these fights I have the AI on and just spot check as needed. It still takes so long to clear through. The final fight went smoothly, and we durganize Pallegina's armor & Leadsplitter, Outworn Buckler, and Sagani's armor. Onward!

• Like 1

Lucca Act III, White March II

Things go fast in Act III, and again I do not scale up the difficulty to keep it quick. I like to do all of the god quests. This time we let the elves go through the frost hewn breach and convince Rymrgand that he's cool with it. The Sky Dragon goes down very quickly to our level 12 party.

Spoiler

bt8NXOc.jpg

yT8ChLu.jpg

We clear down to the bottom level of the Endless Paths, including a peaceful resolution with Od Nua, but I decide to wait to talk with the dragon until I have an actual chance at beating it if I click the wrong dialogue options. I'm not sure I need the loot from her, either, but I hate to leave it undone. 

We take care of Raedric again, and Kana snags some new armor. We also complete a few of the other Twin Elms quests (Hunter, Brother; Sagani's quest; collecting the 3 birds (don't worry, we didn't let him eat them)). 

Next, we head back to Stalwart for the fastest WM2 run I've ever done. We head straight to the fort and bust through the front door. I didn't look up what options were needed to peacefully negotiate with Adaryc, so we end up killing him. C'est la vie. From there off to the Monastery. We get in peacefully and drown the sad people in the basement. High Abbot goes down pretty easily, though I still convince a few of his people to change sides for the fight. 

Spoiler

huY97fE.jpg

From here we reforge the Hammer and give it to Kana. Onward to Cayron's Scar. 

Spoiler

I9RQjp8.jpg

The Kraken goes down faster than I expected. Thanks Pallegina!

Spoiler

FUNFpGH.jpg

Pallegina with Caed Nua resting bonus and the +4 CON ring hits the crystal and survives. We return Abydon's memories to him. Take that Ondra!

Now to finish with Thaos. 

• Like 1

Lucca Act IV

I brave the Adra dragon and make it through the conversation without mistakes. We do the amulet trick and come back to loot the hoard. Totally unnecessary, but feels good to finish it out. Everyone is now level 14. I don't have the energy to clear all the bounties and any remaining side quests to get to 16. I planned to get Ryona's Vambraces for Pallegina to complete her Missile Commander build, but I don't need the extra firepower with everything on Standard, and I don't want to take the risk of a misclick at this point in the run. 

We clear through Sun and Shadow faster than I've ever seen. I feed the team all the food buffs, including dragon meat dish, and everyone pops a snowcap. 

Thaos is down in record time, though Pallegina barely gets off her FoD blunderbuss shot for 200+ damage on him right at the end. I thought took a screenshot, but must have goofed, because it didn't save. 

We trap Thaos in Sun and Shadow and scatter the souls across the Dyrwood like we promised Galawain and Magran. 

On to the Deadfire!

• Like 1

Lucca, Moon Godlike Darcozzi Paladini: Deadfire Introduction

Game Version: 5.0.0.0040 LAX123ABCDEFGHI[TB] (All DLC enabled)
Difficulty: Veteran
Settings: Real Time With Pause; Expert Mode: Off; Trial of Iron: On; Berath's Blessings: None; Level Scaling: All, Only Upwards
Mods: Community Patch: Basic, Extras, Keywords, Typos; Balance Polishing Mod: Buffs, Nerfs, Summon Rebalance (Minus Blunderbuss nerf, Chain Heal rework, Strike the Bell rework, Brilliant nerf); Carnage & Powder Burns Indicator; Enhanced User Interface 

Main Character Description
Lucca, Darcozzi Paladini and Watcher, has spent the years since Thaos enjoying all that life has to offer. She returned to visit Old Valia, but found little there to hold her loyalty or interest. The spirit of the Valian Republics now holds her attention, with their advances in animancy and bold action reaching towards the future. With no noble house to serve, Lucca spends her days serving her chosen family, the friends she has met along her adventures. This is just the kind of life she could get used to . . .

Spoiler

mhxp0W4.jpg

44N9x8Y.jpg

Our chosen party this run will be Pallegina (Herald), Konstanten (Howler), Ydwin (Cipher), Fassina (Loremaster). A Chorus of Valian pride awaits!

• Like 1

Lucca update: dead to the Valeras when the mediation with the Bardattos went bad. It has me a bit stunned, considering I’ve resolved this peacefully almost every previous play through. I checked the wiki to be sure I got it, and something went wrong. Maybe I didn’t go through enough of their dialogue trees beforehand? I asked Pallegina to quiet them down, and the easy option from Ezzali wasn’t there. I tried for the “let’s make money” option, but I hadn’t set it up correctly. I was level 7 and the whole Valera house attacks (all 3 skulls). 

It’s gonna be a little bit before I can do another PoE1 play through. I force quit during the fight and will finish this play through as if I’m still on a NR. It is trial of iron still. I’ll update here as it goes, but less thoroughly, since this is not a legal NR run anymore. 

Update: I went back and was successful. I needed to use the intimidate option (ENOUGH) and then a high RES option. 

Edited by Ivanfyodorovich
  • Like 1