The Pillars of Eternity No Reload Challenge

Is there a way that characters can get injured in combat without being knockout? That happened to Alyssa a moment ago. I've never seen that before.

I think, that's abnormal. The only way to get injury is either be knocked out in combat or in scripted iterations. Grieving Mother got one after she cleansed Aelys of the transfusion in my current run but I believe it's count like scripted iteration. And Eder was knocked out once getting another injury. Apart from these two cases, I don't remember I have ever received any. Maybe in Cilant Lis saving Haedan (scripted iteration).

Under what circumstances Alyssa got one?

edit: In PoE2 walking on a trap could also result in injury, and it's possible during a combat if she walked over a trap maneuvering the battlefield. And a combination of Combusting Wounds + Wall of Flames gives you a Serious Burn. I don't know if it's also true for PoE1.

Edited by Serg BlackStrider
  • Like 2

Grieving Mother got one after she cleansed Aelys of the transfusion in my current run but I believe it's count like scripted iteration.

That's probably it! I noticed it in the first fight after the Wymund interaction. During the Wymund fight it would have been obscured by buffs. I wouldn't have seen it until later, after the food buffs wore off.

Best,

A.

• Like 1

Alyssa, Wood Elf Cipher: Entry 7- Defiance Bay, Part 2

After defeating Raedric, we resumed working through the Defiance Bay quests. We we have, by now, completed all of them, save those related to the animancy hearing.

In Supply and Demand, we used Ectopsychic Echo for the first time. The conditions seemed perfect for safe use here: small enemy group, large area, all foes engaged with a target. Alora snuck around our foes and received the been without drawing any attention at all. A successful first test.

Blm6JA5.jpg

We completed All Hands on Deck with a modicum of damage (not apparent in the screenshots). This was due to a slight positioning/targeting error that prevented Aloth from effectively muzzling our ranged foes with Chill Fog. Our melee foes, in contrast, were handled cleanly, using Curse of Blackened Sight and Mental Binding, followed by Chill Fog + Combusting Wounds, Arcane Assault and Concelhault's Corrosive Siphon.

DavFJ0w.jpg

cYcY2qJ.jpg

The finish.

vw1Lt2A.jpg

Next, we returned to the catacombs to complete A Voice from the Past. Letting our melee fighters engage first, and casting Mental Binding on our most dangerous foe, allowed us to defeat the oozes with minimal damage.

zQqw0dQ.jpg

In the skeleton battle prior to Helig, Alora found herself endangered while completing a dangerous mission. Fortunately, she emerged unscathed, although she did take some damage.

We took our buffs and then set Pallegina and her wood beetles north, while Kana went east. 

UkRW5Z9.jpg

Alora, who had beeb sent behind lines to assassinate the mages with a Fan of Flame scrolls, took some damage and required a Withdraw. The skeleton mages are sloppy glass cannons, tossing single target damage first, buffing never, but they do pose a knockout risk.

jZvMXEN.jpg

A 70HP crit from Alora's arlabest put Helig on his keist immediately.

FxkhdQf.jpg

A Mental Binding from Alyssa insured he would never cast a spell. Durance with the finish, via Iconic Projection.

BW9TgUh.jpg

Onto the Sanitarium and The Man Who Waits. We claimed Usgrim's cell, as per usual, and then buffed while our enemies were districted by summons.

xu8TIji.jpg

Durance handled incoming disablers, via Suppress Affliction.

ZV3SMac.jpg

Finally, we were ready to open fire. Aloth, Chill Fog; Durance, Iconic Projection; Alora, Sunbeam (via Sun-Touched).

Sh4yV7G.jpg

Adding Combusting Wounds to complete the formula.

jYarFF7.jpg

Finally, some fireballs.

AN4ukCw.jpg

ev1iG0e.jpg

After reporting to Lady Webb, we were ambushed by assassins for the first time. That's a Boiling Spray trap, positioned to intercept any would be backline chargers. I was curious to see if the push effect actually works.

qKx9wQe.jpg

Alas, Alyssa's Mental Binding halted the charge prematurely.

LURIX7k.jpg

Our trap never fired.

Wd6MQJs.jpg

In Clandestine Cargo, we nearly suffered our first knockout of the run. The impression I'm under is that late in fights, when enemy groups determine that they can't win, they seek instead to knockout a vulnerable character. in this case, a adra animat charged Alyssa, targeting her with Corrosive Breath. She chose to stand her ground and disable her foe with Mental Binding, while Durance sough to interrupt. That was almost the right call- almost. The animat cast his spell just before he was disabled. Alyssa was left with but 5 endurance points. Close call.

Vq5decD.jpg

We'll cover Undying Heritage next.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH
  • Like 4

Question for the cipher and ranged weapon fans!

Now that Kana is approaching L9, and will therefore be switching from Sure Handed Ila to Dragon Thrashed, Alyssa will need to move away from weapons requiring reload. The consensus seems to be that war bows are the best choice for a ranged cipher, but none of the arguments I've read have taken in to account enemy variation in resistances or affliction bonuses.

I'm tempted to give Alyssa Weapon Focus: Noble + Dangerous Implement with the intention of using the Engwithan Scepter and Grudge Keeper. That combo would allow us to cover all three damage types. Grudgekeeper would also bring Alyssa's current damage bonus vs Flanked foes (Phantom Foes) to 55% (20% Survival + 20% Vicious + 15% Apprentice Sneak Attack). Is this a terrible idea?

Best,

A.    

Edited by Alesia_BH
  • Like 1

Aures - Act I, Chapter 1: Gilded Vale

Part 1: Assembling a Team

Aures tries to negotiate with the understandably angry Glanfathans, but is unable to convince them to stand down. It will be hard to negotiate with them about their sacred sites, she realizes.

With some allies, we quickly make our way through the ruins, only to stumble onto something much more sinister and powerful happening here than we imagined. Aures travels alone, quietly to the Gilded Vale, avoiding contact with anyone other than a quite hostile local official until she can rendezvous with her allies at the inn. She sneaks in through the second story balcony and makes contact with them in the main hall. After relaying her strange experience, she rests in the common room.

On the way to the death tree to investigate the vision in her dream, Aures and company stumble on an arrogant but shifty man picking a fight with some locals. Aures convinces the locals to stand down, realizing that this unusual character could kill them easily. He wants to come with us to investigate the ancient machine and our soul troubles, so we let him come along.

A short conversation with a corpse later, we say hello to a human man acting as nonchalant as possible while standing next to a giant death tree. He says he was a farmer and soldier and is on the list to be hanged. He also says he's a follower of Eothas. Aures suggests that maybe he could come with us. Our numbers are looking more reasonable already.

Feeling stronger, we make our way back to the ruins to investigate. Perhaps there are some more clues there. We disable some traps and kill some skuldr and oozes, finding a minor cloak of protection and the abandoned supplies of looters.

We press onward from the ruins towards Caed Nua. We meet an unpleasant follower of Magran who insists on coming with us. We allow it. He seems like someone who might know things. We avoid contact with anyone else as we make our way to the stronghold. Upon arrival, Aures reaches level 3 and Niclesa and Gregoria reach level 2.

Aures level 3: Flames of Devotion
Niclesa level 2: Weapon & Shield Style, The Thunder Rolled . . .
Gregoria level 2: Inspiring Radiance

We speak with a delightful Aumua man who is studying ruins and wants to get inside the keep. We welcome him to the group, sending Durance to wait for us at an Inn. Kana mentions angry spirits are about, and we decide to head back to the Gilded Vale. On the way, Kana generously shows Aures his Arquebus and how to use it. He says he's fine loaning it to her. Eder compliments his finely crafted Estoc, prompting Kana to offer it as a gift. He's always wanted to practice with a war bow, he says.

Part 2: Something need doing? 
We find Calisca's sister and promise to help her, as well as the blacksmith and the inn keeper. We also intervene in a dispute about grain prices. Aures is already feeling that her particular set of skills will be well used here in the Dyrwood.

In Valewood we cautiously rescue Tenfrith and fight a pack of wolves to reach a dead adventurer on top of a wall. Nearby we find another minor cloak of protection that Aures dons. We make our way to a cave where we suspect the bear Nonton told us about lives.

We open with a FoD arquebus shot from Aures on the Bear that hits! Gregoria - Armor of Faith; Eder - Potion of Power, Disciplined Barrage. Kana begins auto-attacking the bear. Aloth fires an arcane assault. The first young bear to engage crits Aures and I look at it's accuracy of 75. Maybe this was a bad idea.

Aures uses Crucible of the Soul. The bear pulls around the side and engages Niclesa, who is now flanked by a Young Bear. The Bear crits Niclesa for 28 and the first young bear crits Aures again. Eder is making progress, though. He's crit the young bear twice now, and brings it down with a final auto attack. Gregoria casts halt and nails a 15 second stuck on the Bear. It's in melee range, but has a large penalty to deflection, allowing our ranged party members to pelt away.

XjLDNkj.jpg

A few timely heals, and we down the rest of the batch. Eder deals much of the damage with his fine estoc. (I'm still getting used to taking screenshots while playing - it is getting better)

From the bears we head back to Gilded Vale, check in with Nonton and send the lovers away in peace. Quick stop at the inn to collect the reward for rescuing Tenfrith, and a rest in the common room.

Somewhere in here Aloth, Eder, and Kana level up to 3.

Aloth: Infuse With Vital Essence, Mirrored Image
Eder: Disciplined Barrage
Kana: Come, Come Soft Winds of Death

We head to Black Meadow to find our way south to Madhmr Bridge. We kill a troll without too much trouble, and find a pack of spiders in our way. It looks like 3 of them when we pull using a FoD arquebus shot, but 3 more are right behind. Now I'm a little worried. The spiders are hitting hard, even with Armor of Faith up.

The formation holds, though, and Eder makes quick work of them, knocking them prone and following up with damage. As he moves to finish the final spider, he gets too close to a nearby Wicht. This doesn't look good. I've already used Holy Radiance this battle and have no AoE damage spells besides the Chants. Most of the Wichts cluster around Aures, who heals with a Lay on Hands and a First Aid while the rest of the team piles on the damage. A few break through the line, and one attacks Aloth, who already cast Mirror Image and Arcane Veil, reducing the damage he's taking significantly.

MPXQ1TI.png

The Wichts have very low health, and fall quickly, but that felt dangerous. Already the no-reload run is feeling much more exciting than the previous.

We had to the bridge, talk with Peregrund, and easily kill two people labeled as looters. When we make our way down to the shore, we find out that these are poor people scavenging to survive and we promise them we will lie to Peregrund. This is not something Aures likes to do, but there doesn't seem to be an easier solution. A lie on behalf of those in need is one of the few she's willing to tell. I wrongly think that deception might lower my disposition and confirm that I haven't gained any reputation as deceptive, then realizing as I write this that while I gain for being honest, it's cruel and aggressive that I lose disposition for. Those should be easier to avoid.

Part 3: More work? 
From the bridge, I head to Analogs Compass. We fend off the Xaurip attack at the entrance, and make our way to Ranga through another band of Xaurips. Standard tactics that will persist through the run. 3 melee in front, ranged in back. 

eCUbgwZ.png

We agree to Ranga's request and fight the north camp of Xaurips, remembering to use our chanter invocations for the first time this run.

XJq3xpy.png

After an iconic projection takes the the whole group to 3/4 endurance, we quickly switch to focus on the Xaurip Priest. I've been holding back Holy Radiance because the healing might make a difference in these early battles. Here it heals us right back up to full. 

oLKaBRk.jpg

Aloth casts magic missles twice on the Xaurip Priest to great effect.

0JBJT2g.jpg

White worms is awesome. Reny Daret's ghost mops up the Champions. 

Turn return to Range for our next task, and Niclesa and Gregoria level up to 3.

Niclesa will be our Mechanic for this run, so most of her skill points will go there. 
Niclesa: Blessed Was Wengridh, Quickest of His Tribe
Gregoria: Level 2 spells

We camp, selecting the primordial accuracy buff where we can, just in case. 
In the cave we successfully pull the sporeling patrol by itself. 

Back to Gilded Vale, and we report the truth to Aufra. As we leave her house we run into a man named Kolsc. After some questions that confirm what we suspected about him, we promise to unseat Raedric. If Kolsc intends to take the throne after, it will some corrective to the repressive and violent system in place now. 

We aren't strong enough to face Raedric yet, though. First we have a few other things to do. Onward to find Tuatanu's shipment. 

We sneak up on the camp, but they aren't hostile to us, so I hesitate to attack from stealth. In the quick second it takes to wonder if I should, we are spotted and my plan for crossbow and arquebus shot opener is gone. 

We brace for the thieves to reach us. This time I have Aloth buff up and cast Concelhaut's Quarterstaff. I also add Blessing to the buffs now that we have more spell casts available per rest. 
Gregoria tries to halt one of the thieves before it can get to the group, but Eder is engaged anyway - guess he will have an easier time with that one. The leader runs through our line with wild sprint, but comes back to attack Niclesa. It isn't until I see the reloading icon next to her portrait that I realize I didn't switch her from the crossbow. That low deflection must be why he went for her instead of Kana in his padded armor.

i6pzUxc.jpg

An Outlaw was not so confused, though, and makes his way back to Kana, who is casting white worms on the first bandit dead on the frontline. 

ieCg6av.jpg

My ranged attackers switch from the leader to this Outlaw. Eder finishes off his bandit, so I move him to the back to knockdown. We drop the Outlaw, finish off the leader and engage the two archers pelting us at the same time. Shipment in hand, we head south to investigate the body we noticed after the wight attack and pick up a new pair of boots for Niclesa. 

We return to Gilded Vale and return the shipment to Tautanu, taking advantage of the generous discount he's given us to purchase something Aures noticed the first time we came to the shop - The Outworn Buckler. There's something about this shield that just feels right to her. She tries it on - a perfect fit. 

Next up - that desecrated temple of Eothas that Gregoria has been asking we visit. 

Inventory Update:

0skVzVP.jpg
6E5yZdb.jpg
vm7t53z.jpg
YOMkAyo.jpg
XTnqVeS.jpg
5AuhLe0.jpg

Edited by Ivanfyodorovich
  • Like 3

@Alesia_BH: I'm surprised that war bows would be the consensus, since hunting bows are faster. Personally, I think scepters are ideal because they cover crushing and slashing damage, they're fast, and their base damage isn't that much lower than slower weapons. The Engwithan Scepter is the best in my view because of the +20% attack speed. Scepters are strong, fast, and reliable.

How useful do you think that bonus damage vs. Flanked enemies is? Ostensibly, against anything besides humanoids, you'd get much better damage output by using a racial Accuracy bonus, since the magnitudes are the same (+10 or +20 depending on rank) and 1 point in Accuracy buys more than 1% more damage. Plus, the racial Accuracy bonus requires lower Survival and fewer skill points to reach.

• Like 2

The Tale of Gloomy Face: Hearth Orlan, Druid - Chapter VI: Endless Paths 2-6, Dyrford Village and Crossing.

It’s been quite a time after my last update, mostly because there isn’t much to write about Endless Paths early levels – just non-stop fighting with overall the same buffs/debuffs with slight variations or even just an auto attacks.

Level 2 – Xaurips’ Territory. Prayer Against Fear since their Priests like to cast Divine Terror. Tanglefoot + Form of the Delemgan for 8DR vs Pierce and immunity to Stuck. Dire Blessing for Hit>Crit conversion. Chill Fog for AoE Blindness and damage. And Pallegina is a beast with Flames of Devotion>Arbalest’s Prone inflicting Crits when needed.

SQqJwPz.jpg
SERFqNk.jpg

When Slicken isn’t an option (Wyrms or other creatures immune to Ground effects) Calling the World’s Maw do the same (send them Prone) and also apply respectable damage as well.

RYMwto4.jpg

For the main fight of the level we applied Moonwell, Dire Blessing, Prayer Against Fear, Chill Fog, Tanglefoot, Returning Storm and called for Shades to hold the front line alone with Eder. That was pretty much enough to spell their (enemies) doom. Some Slicken, Sunbeams and shooting later it was all over.

N1RrY26.jpg
jbgYZ7D.jpg

Level 3 – Ogres. The most difficult (tough) opponents so far especially alone with those fellow Ogre Druids. We use Slicken, Curse of Blackened Sight and Despondent Blows to keep them at bay. Calling the World’s Maw and Twin Stones (AoE Pierce damage vs weak Reflex) control and hurt quite reliably. Aloth’s Duplicate (Essential Phantom) is also notably accurate (many Crits) and deadly with Shock damage.

lWKLWLb.jpg
qqEifpg.jpg
kSEsa9k.jpg

For Matron Mother Ardulace (Zolla) we add a food buffs to our already solid common ones and lure her with others outside of her lair. Not quite a choke point but also not an open space either. Form of the Delemgan buff, Tanglefoot, Returning Storm, Slicken, Despondent Blows is solid combo with some Arcane Dampener to cease Zolla’s buffs. As a result Xoti now wear a new nice outfit (Rundl’s Finery) to further improve her casting/shooting power. It’s also pretty neat looking!

PHpjHsL.jpg
EK1oD2V.jpg

Level 4 – Trolls/Slimes/Beetles. Mostly on autopilot and only started to use per-rest abilities at the end when some of us had health in ‘yellows’ already. Sagani got a major weapon upgrade (Persistence) giving her Massuk Hunting Bow to me. And we make sure to not forget come back on level 3 with Resolution Sabre for Llawran’s Stick from the secret chamber.

mXFgopA.jpg

Level 5 – Xaurips&Drake. Pathetic. I somewhat borrowed Alesia’s approach there – Bugs/Shades for distraction, Moonwell, Armor of Faith, Devotions for the Faithful, Scroll of Defense, Returning Storm, Knock Down from Eder for Drake and he never recovered (though he managed to breath Eder for 66 damage before falling Prone/Stun). We found a Stalker’s Torc for Sagani and Ilfan Byrngar’s Solace for myself in his treasure hoard.

NdIEzf3.jpg
8IMJVE1.jpg

Level 6 – Skeletons/Darguls. Mostly trivial even though there are mages and rangers among them.

QPGvKxM.jpg

Level 7 is a Blight’s territory with some spirits and should be manageable but I was a bit sick with dusty dungeons and non-stop fighting, thus longing for fresh air desperately.

Onto Dyrford Village through the Woodend Plains (which we finally cleaned of remaining Forest Lurkers), then beeline Stormwall Gorge (hired Hiravias and sent him in Caed Nua).

In Dyrford Village we talked with locals gaining quests and purchased an awesome The Hours of St. Rumbalt for Pallegina – now, with her high accuracy, she is able to crit->prone her foes reliably not only with Arbalest shots but also in melee. We let Nyfre go and killed Medreth since my reputation in house Doemenel is horrible anyway. Most of the Crew hit level 8: Gloomy Face (Body Control), Eder (Two Weapon Style), Aloth (Weapon Focus: Noble), Sagani (Weapon Focus: Peasant), Pallegina (Weapon Focus: Soldier). Then we cleared the Korgrak’s cave from spiders (found Ring of Deflection nearby for myself and Cloak of Minor Missiles inside for Aloth: +5DR vs Burn/Shock never hurt) and carefully persuaded him to join the defenses of Caed Nua. The Iron Brand are no match for us and Sagani got a Stag Helm which suits her nicely. Next we secured a Dragon Egg for Hendyna and killed the pack of Wyrms. Trio of Forest Lurkers forced us to use Bugs/Shades/Maura’s Writhing Tentacles to hold the line while we shoot Pwgra/Menpwgra from afar and Xoti now own the Boots of the Long March – she is a style lass and not wear some garbage.

WUr0bib.jpg
68SW3B0.jpg

To resolve a Blood Legacy we swap Aloth for Grieving Mother. I always struggle whom to take in my core Crew (the rest of it is rock solid, no questions) – I like both and one of them is always a Seven One. Just like Valygar… When I ran a Cipher MC, I took Aloth, another run – Druid – it was Grieving Mother. But since this run is going to advance in Deadfire eventually, I want to get my own developed pre-history for Aloth there. So this time I invited Grieving Mother for Blood Legacy quest only.
We enter Dyrford Ruins through the Trygil’s shop and take a shortest pass to Wymund to preserve our per-rest abilities. Xoti hit level 8 after fighting some Bugs alone the way (Inspiring Radiance). Grieving Mother cleansed Aelys of the transfusion and the fight ensured. Their opening Pillar of Holy Fire was devastating but Moonwell, Lay on Hands and Holy Radiance fix the damage.

b5GA0NU.jpg

We called for Beatles to get Wymund and Priest busy and concentrated on Preacher/Mind Breakers.

GWu0QCJ.jpg

With them gone it was just a clean up phase.

TCyVB5i.jpg

We sent Aelys to the local Temple of Berath in a hope Priests will help her to hide from Lord Harond and then, unlike with the Raedric’s Hold, where we only killed his personal bodyguards, wiped out clean all the Skaenites without a single thought of regret. Lord Harond himself was spared to bear the burden of his sin for the rest of his life

Now, with all Dyrford Village quest lines finished, we are going to advance Sagani’s personal quest so Searing Falls and Pearlwood Bluff are on agenda.

==> (damn pics limit...)

• Like 4

==>

Current state:

Gloomy Face - Druid (lvl 8 ); Stealth:0; Athletic:1; Lore:1; Mechanics:11; Survival:4; Talents: Veteran's Recovery>Bear's Fortitude>Superior Deflection>Body Control; Equipment: Hermit’s Hat, Aru-Brekr Brigandine, Minor Cloak of Protection, Ring of Deflection, Ring of Overseeing, Gloves of Manipulation, Fulvano's Boots, Massuk Hunting Bow / Hearth Harvest + Ilfan Byrngar’s Solace;

TvB4vrm.jpg

Eder - Fighter (lvl 8 ); Stealth:0; Athletic:2; Lore:9; Mechanics:0; Survival:7; Talents: Rapid Recovery>Vulnerable Attack>Superior Deflection>Two Weapon Style; Abilities: Knock Down (auto)>Confident Aim>Disciplined Barrage>Armored Grace; Equipment: The Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil, Sanguine Plate Armor, Cloak of Eothasian Priest, Minor Ring of Deflection, Minor Ring of Protection, Boots of Stability, Blunting Belt, Whispers of Yenwood (Burning Lash) + Oidhreacht / Fine War bow;

UOLj2ZP.jpg

Aloth - Wizard (lvl 8 ); Stealth:0; Athletic:2; Lore:10; Mechanics:2; Survival:5; Talents: Blast>Penetrating Blast>Bear's Fortitude>Weapon Focus: Noble; Equipment: The Dunryd Demon, Aloth's Leather Armor, Cloak of Minor Missiles, Healing Hands, Minor Ring of Deflection, Minor Ring of Protection, Engwithan Scepter / Fine Rapier + Fine Small Shield;
Grimoire: Level 1 - Fan of Flames, Slicken, Chill Fog, Ghost Blades; Level 2 - Curse of Blackened Sight, Infuse With Vital Essence, Combusting Wounds, Bulwark Against The Elements; Level 3 - Expose Vulnerabilities, Fireball, Llengrath's Displaced Image, Arcane Dampener; Level 4 - Essential Phantom, Confusion, Minoletta’s Concussive Missiles, Maura’s Writhing Tentacles;

YzZgU8b.jpg

Xoti - Priest of Eothas (lvl 8 ); Stealth:2; Athletic:5; Lore:12; Mechanics:0; Survival:5; Talents: Interdiction>Painful Interdiction>Weapon and Shield Style>Inspiring Radiance; Equipment: Footpad’s Hood, Rundl’s Finery, Father’s Teeth, Fulvano's Gloves, Minor Ring of Protection, Ring of Overseeing, Boots of the Long March, Gaun's Share + Fine Large Shield / Gyrd Haewanes Stenes (all soulbound upgrades are completed);

VvPiSGg.jpg

Sagani - Ranger (lvl 8 ); Stealth:3; Athletic:5; Lore:7; Mechanics:0; Survival:6; Talents: Agile Retreat (auto)>Resilient Companion>Vicious Companion>Merciless Companion>Weapon Focus: Peasant; Abilities: Wounding Shot (auto)>Predator's Sense>Stalker's Link>Driving Flight; Equipment: Stag Helm, Fine Hide Armor, Stalker’s Torc, Bartender's Ring, Minor Ring of Protection, Persistence / Aattuuk + Fine Hatchet;

M2c6phx.jpg

Pallegina - Palladin (lvl 8 ); Stealth:0; Athletic:3; Lore:8; Mechanics:0; Survival:5; Talents: Deep Faith>Veteran's Recovery>Superior Deflection>Weapon Focus: Soldier; Abilities: Faith and Conviction (auto)>Flames of Devotion (auto)>Lay on Hands>Zealous Focus>Liberating Exhortation; Equipment: Hand and Key Breastplate, Drinking Horn of Moderation, Minor Bracers of Deflection, Minor Ring of Protection, Shod-in-Faith, The Hours of St. Rumbalt / Exceptional Arbalest;

3sjbH6K.jpg

There is no ingame statistics for Itumaak but he is one of the MVP of the Crew for sure. Those huge and reliable damage numbers are breathtaking!

to be continued...

• Like 3

Now that Kana is approaching L9, and will therefore be switching from Sure Handed Ila to Dragon Thrashed, Alyssa will need to move away from weapons requiring reload. The consensus seems to be that war bows are the best choice for a ranged cipher, but none of the arguments I've read have taken in to account enemy variation in resistances or affliction bonuses.

I'm tempted to give Alyssa Weapon Focus: Noble + Dangerous Implement with the intention of using the Engwithan Scepter and Grudge Keeper. That combo would allow us to cover all three damage types. Grudgekeeper would also bring Alyssa's current damage bonus vs Flanked foes (Phantom Foes) to 55% (20% Survival + 20% Vicious + 15% Apprentice Sneak Attack). Is this a terrible idea?

Best,

A.    

I have to say I haven't tried it, I used stormcaller which was amazing and basically brought her damage fast past Aloth who was almost 25k damage above her (70k vs 45k) and just two hours after she caught up.

• Like 2

@Alesia_BH: I'm surprised that war bows would be the consensus, since hunting bows are faster.

Hunting bows are faster, but war bows do more base damage. Further, by the end game recovery can be reduced to 0.

Considering speed, base damage, and additional damage, Persistence and Stormcaller can exceed war bow DPS, but only via the DoT damage from Persistence and the lightning from Stormcaller and those do not contribute to focus- hence the hunting bows for Rangers/Rogues, war bows for ciphers consensus.

With the exception of wizards, via Blast, implements are not considered competitive. I'll acknowledge, though, that I'm not convinced that the benefit of Best Attack has been fully considered.

How useful do you think that bonus damage vs. Flanked enemies is? Ostensibly, against anything besides humanoids, you'd get much better damage output by using a racial Accuracy bonus, since the magnitudes are the same (+10 or +20 depending on rank) and 1 point in Accuracy buys more than 1% more damage. Plus, the racial Accuracy bonus requires lower Survival and fewer skill points to reach.

We'll be using Phantom Foes extensively to facilitate Deathblows via AoE scroll from Alora. Given the large AoE and long duration of Phantom Foes, it's perfect for the task. We'll get a lot of damage out of Phantom Foes that way.

Given that our foes will frequently be flanked, it makes sense to consider Bonuses v Flanked.

We will take Accuracy v Creature type when possible, of course. The +20% from Vicious would still apply.

The Bonus v Flanked survival bonus will be used against Kith. Assuming that you have enough points in Survival to take Accuracy v Creature type, equipping Jack of High Waters will push you to Bonus V Flanked. We could equip Jack of Wide Waters prior to sleeping on the eve of kith fights (although that would be insanely metagamey).

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH
  • Like 3

I would suggest Borresaine (for Stuns and self healing) alone with Engwithan Scepter (for pierce immune foes).

• Like 3

Ok. Comparing Grudge Keeper + Dangerous Implements and Cloudpiercer, both at Exceptional with a lash + cipher bonuses, but without Might bonuses and before DR I get.

Non-flanked:

Grudgekeeper = 31.725

Cloudpiercer = 34.65

Flanked:

Grudgekeeper = 39.5

Cloudpiercer = 40.25

Their speeds are the same.

So, even against Flanked enemies, Grudgekeeper would only be better if the Slashing to Piercing difference were large enough to offset Cloudpiercer’s Rending. Also, to make the comparison fair, you’d have to factor in the lost talent and Jolting Touch.

Grudgekeeper can, however, take Superb + Lash + Kith slaying, where as Cloudpiercer can not

I’m leaning toward Cloudpiercer.

Edited by Alesia_BH
  • Like 2

I would suggest Borresaine (for Stuns and self healing) alone with Engwithan Scepter (for pierce immune foes).

That makes sense to me. I like Rending, though.

I haven't tried either yet, but I'm inclined to see Borresaine as the best general use war bow (with the possible exception of Rain, pre Recovery elimination) and Cloudpiercer as the best cipher specific war bow.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH
  • Like 2

That makes sense to me. I like Rending, though.

Rending is just flat +3 damage while Stun is huge debuff (-4 Dexterity, -4 Intellect, -4 Perception, -30 Deflection, -30 Reflex) and also allow Sneak attacks. The subsequent damage might severely surpass Rending bonus.

• Like 2

From the bears we head back to Gilded Vale, check in with Nonton and send the lovers away in peace.

Good to know! I was wondering if I was the only one who was all: "He was a bad husband, you say? Abusive, you say? Well okay then: I get it. Safe travels, you crazy kids!"

• Like 4

Rending is just flat +3 damage while Stun is huge debuff (-4 Dexterity, -4 Intellect, -4 Perception, -30 Deflection, -30 Reflex) and also allow Sneak attacks. The subsequent damage might severely overcome Rending bonus.

Makes sense. I suppose we could bring both. Borresaine for stun-able enemies within our crit range and Cloudpiercer for stun immune enemies.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH
  • Like 2

On Alyssa's weapons. I think I see the approach I'd like to take. 

The enemies that are resistant to piercing are vulnerable to crushing and they are, with few exceptions, either vessels or spirits.

So, we're going to take Weapon Focus: Adventurer, use Borresaine as our primary, and then have two custom wands, one with vessel slaying and one with spirit slaying. That should offer excellent coverage with a minimum of talents used.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH
  • Like 3

When would be a good time to do Bounty: Captain Muarumi? Right now we have Durance standing next to Alyssa, using St Garam's, to stack an additional +10 on Borresaine and increase the frequency of stuns. Ideally we'd use Pliambo per Casitas instead, for use with Inspired Flame.

Edited by Alesia_BH
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, y'all. 

Question - has anyone else observed that when you use a ranged Flames of Devotion to start a fight, you will retain both uses after (most of the time)? Does anyone know why? 

I haven't noticed it with FoD; I have noticed it with Crippling Strike. It happens when I ambush an enemy with Crippling Strike, prior to the beginning of PoE's "in combat" condition.

The hypothesis I'm working with is that the engine resets per encounter abilities at the moment combat officially begins. So, if you use an ability prior to "combat" it will be restored. That's just a hypothesis, though- I don't really know.

In any case, it's clearly a bug, to my mind. 2 per encounter doesn't mean 3 per encounter, it means 2. If that happens, I try to refrain from using my final Crippling Strike to balance things out.

Best,

A.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback, y'all. 

Question - has anyone else observed that when you use a ranged Flames of Devotion to start a fight, you will retain both uses after (most of the time)? Does anyone know why? 

I think, the reason is that the fight itself doesn't start instantly but with a split-of-a-second delay (you might also notice that you can't use combat-only spells immediately after your foes goes red but only after a message 'Combat start' in the Log window). Since that opening alfa-strike with ranged Flame of Devotion is out-of-combat it doesn't count as per-encounter uses.

edit: ouch... Alesia was quicker than me.

• Like 3

Aures - Act I, Chapter 2: Caed Nua or bust

Part 1: Temple Time

Inside the Temple of Eothas we encounter some floating balls of light. The Will-o-wisps focus Niclesa who is wearing the hermit hat. Love to see those beautiful immunes.

xlkIWML.jpg

We use some spells because I'm still not sure how dangerous this will be. Invocations are now part of our normal battle plan. 

MdPLaDG.jpg

We fight the Skuldr's in doorway. Smooth sailing.

Aures level 4: Shielding Flames

Kana level 4: Beloved Memory; Thrice Was She Wronged . . .

We kill some spiders.

Aloth level 4: Hardened Veil; Combusting Wounds

We clear the rest of the first floor and head out to Esternwood to get Eder the last few points of XP he needs. We clear the graveyard.

Eder level 4: Weapon Focus Adventurer

Back to Gilded Vale to rest and prepare for Caed Nua. We take the nice room this time (+1 Perception +1 Mechanics). I'm not sure if the +2 Resolve is better here, but my reasoning was based on the relatively low endurance of the spirits. 

We do a little equipment shuffling to make sure everyone has a non-piercing damage source, and we game plan for the spirits. Fan of Flames scrolls for Eder to use while Disciplined Barrage is up. Scroll of Nature's Mark for Kana to lower reflex and deflection. We buy 3 stacks for food to the team and we head to Caed Nua.

Part 2: Ghosts, oh my!

On the grounds, we kill a phantom and a group of Fire Blights without incident.

Inside the keep, we set up our formation in the front corner, 2 rows of 3 across, packed in like sardines to avoid the teleports. Aures pulls and the spirits get stuck with only 1 or 2 being able to attack us at once. We let the Shadows live as long as we can and focus attacks on the backline. Aures drinks a potion of wizard's double.

tdOdUsk.jpg

Nature's Mark, Combusting Wounds, and our shock and crush invocations, plus Eder's Scroll of Fan of Flames do the work. I realize I never ate the food. I think we’re going to be just fine.

Gvsqlrk.jpg

MguTeLE.jpg

Down below in the paths, the spiders are easily dispatched, but we remain in combat after clearing two groups. Aures moves south to body pull the one in the north side cell - as she is running back, she gets engaged alone. We move everyone else up to support, and let our invocations slam down, vaporizing the spiders all at once.

More spiders and beetles in the doorways on the floor below. Ring of Overseeing goes to Gregoria for now.

2SBOVpy.jpg

Maerwald next. Food buffs for everyone and a rest, keeping the accuracy vs. spirits. After a concerning conversation filled with cycles of violence, we flee behind the south doorway and 5 drink potion of bulwark of elements. And we wait. And wait. I realize my plan for that scroll of Defense was ill conceived. 

TjibVgd.jpg

Maerwald kills a blight with no one else in the room. Not sure what happened there.

LDu9kHS.jpg

Aures runs up to see what's happening. He is still slowly coming from the room. She runs back. Still nothing. She runs back north and he is stuck in the doorway behind a blight that is also stuck. A crossbow bolt loosens things up and Aures eats a fireball to minimal effect.

In the doorway, our party unleashes. Did I mention that there are 4-6 spider corpses piled up here? I missed the screen cap, but Kana hits with White Worms for 108. We finish him off quickly and run back to his room to kill the remaining blights. That could have been so much worse, but we were prepared.

flIYDBP.jpg

We pop up to claim the keep, and then head back down to continue clearing our way to the Spider Queen. The group is starting to look a little worn, but we continue using our strategies from before. Combusting Wounds helps, but the real heroes are the invocations again.

ZX3FrCf.jpg

The stilletto sits in our inventory for now. We kill some beetles, but health is starting to run low on Niclesa. We run back to Gilded Vale for a free rest (we are out of camping supplies), and then head to Woodend Plains.

On the way, Kana lets us know that he would really prefer to explore the safer parts of the keep, and continue with his research. Aloth mentions something about the group missing his fashion sense, and Kana offers his turban. Aloth accepts, giving Kana a laugh.

At the cross roads we come across a dwarf hunter who is on a search. Aures thinks she could be a valuable ally, and we ask her to join. Kana heads back to Caed Nua to continue his research.

The plan next is to gather resources and reach level 5 to prepare to overthrow the tyrant Raedric.

Edited by Ivanfyodorovich
  • Like 2

Ok. We just got Stormcaller. It's better than I expected, due to the best attack, including an elemental option, and the +6 DR bypass against shock. We'll use it, at least until we get Durgan Steel.

A question on best attack: How does the engine determine which attack to use, exactly? If we were to take Heart of the Storm, would it factor in the +20% to shock when determining which attack to use? Does it take into consideration the -6 to shock from Stormcaller? Or does it just select based on the innate DR values of enemies?

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH
  • Like 2