So Nemnok - peaceful solution?

Yeah, it’s possible to kill just him and spare Kaali, albeit it’s not an easy task. It’s a bit easier if you have Intimidate 18 since then you can scare Kaali and make him run away. Although in my playthtorugh he stopped just in front of the entrance and suddenly joined the fight after all; don’t know whether that’s a bug or if he’s supposed to behave like that. Either way that made him far enough from Nemnok that I could use AoE.

I read somewhere that only attacking and defeating Nemnok would result in Kali surviving. I never managed to do that, since the minions keep wasting my party.

You can turn off your party AI and kill everyone except Kaali. At that point he will no longer be hostile and you can send him back to the village.

Yeah, it’s possible to kill just him and spare Kaali, albeit it’s not an easy task. It’s a bit easier if you have Intimidate 18 since then you can scare Kaali and make him run away. Although in my playthtorugh he stopped just in front of the entrance and suddenly joined the fight after all; don’t know whether that’s a bug or if he’s supposed to behave like that. Either way that made him far enough from Nemnok that I could use AoE.

this method is weird, because the game doesn't wait for kali to run all the way away before letting you progressing; he just starts running and the game continues with nemnok's dialogue: if you click through dialogue fast enough, even after you successfully pass the intimidate check, kali might not have left the area, and he may go hostile and join the fight.

when i do this approach, i now wait for kali to go offscreen and wait ~10 more seconds before i continue any dialogue with nemnok.

anyway, NEMNOK NEMNOK NEMNOK

You need to have 8 diplomacy. Just bring along a companion with high diplomacy. It should work just fine.

Pallegina had 12. Still no option after Kaali says he's brought some sacrifices. It seems to be a watcher only check.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_II:_Deadfire_skills 

Check the table under usage. You need to have a couple of companions with some points in diplomacy.