What am i doing wrong in combat?

So you see every other post how people complain the game is way too easy even on POTD level scaled up only etc...

I recently restarted my game on Hard level scaled up, after quitting my POTD game when the game originally released. Both because i was waiting for multitude of bug fixes and frankly, i was finding it to be too difficult.

Now I'm only at the beginning, just reached the engwithian digsight at the start, but already facing problems in a simple fight that is the panthers and the young drake you find in the center of the arena.

My PC is a wizard (single class no subclass), i have eder as tank with sword and board, and Xoti using her crossbow and buffing/debuffing from the back.

In that particular fight, i try to create a choke point with Eder and let my 2 others cast, but i can't put out enough dmg, and Eder gets overwhelmed pretty easily.

Is the game just that harder at the beginning due to lower levels? Or am i missing something? This isn't my first CRPG, im a Baldur's Gate veteran , IceWind Dale, POE1, etc....

Also while we're at it, some pointers on my party would be appriciated, im thinking:

Me(Wizard) - I like to use a lot of CC with him

Eder (Tank)

Pallegina as Herald (Summoner Tank)

Xoti as Priest for buffing/debuffing/healing

Serafen? I liked his character. Last time took him as a witch, but now thinking just barbarian with dual pistols.

Aloth  - Not sure whats better. Wizard or dual with fighter for melee mage?

Thanks for any and all advice!

One option would be to hire some adventurers (custom companions) in the Port Maje tavern. I did it for my recent POTD runthrough (MC Arcane trickster/skald) and it was a big help; I made a Shieldbearer/Unbroken, a Barabrian, and another I've forgotten.

Other than that, don't be shy to use all available resources, especially Empower (but also grenades, potions, scrolls etc - you'll find enough to replace them).

So you see every other post how people complain the game is way too easy even on POTD level scaled up only etc...

I recently restarted my game on Hard level scaled up, after quitting my POTD game when the game originally released. Both because i was waiting for multitude of bug fixes and frankly, i was finding it to be too difficult.

Now I'm only at the beginning, just reached the engwithian digsight at the start, but already facing problems in a simple fight that is the panthers and the young drake you find in the center of the arena.

My PC is a wizard (single class no subclass), i have eder as tank with sword and board, and Xoti using her crossbow and buffing/debuffing from the back.

In that particular fight, i try to create a choke point with Eder and let my 2 others cast, but i can't put out enough dmg, and Eder gets overwhelmed pretty easily.

Is the game just that harder at the beginning due to lower levels? Or am i missing something? This isn't my first CRPG, im a Baldur's Gate veteran , IceWind Dale, POE1, etc....

Also while we're at it, some pointers on my party would be appriciated, im thinking:

Me(Wizard) - I like to use a lot of CC with him

Eder (Tank)

Pallegina as Herald (Summoner Tank)

Xoti as Priest for buffing/debuffing/healing

Serafen? I liked his character. Last time took him as a witch, but now thinking just barbarian with dual pistols.

Aloth  - Not sure whats better. Wizard or dual with fighter for melee mage?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Thsoe two fights (boars) and the drake/adds at the digsite are killers. Likewise Gorecci Street if you enter from the north.

I know the best way is to hire mercs. I just don't want to.

First fight with boars and wyrm, I pull-cheat on top of the stairs. 

For the drake/panthers fight I do something crazy. I get as many buffs as possible (poison, drugs, fire resist if possible, from Port Maje)

Then I sneak to the southern part of the circular area. Near the tent.

There is barrels with gunpowder.

I position my comps as close to the wall as I can, as far away from the barrels, yet able to shoot them and have my back free.

Then i trigger a fight by unstealthing one and firing one shot at the gunpowder barrel. It attracts drake, panthers, wyrms and sometimes the one boar. They will position themselves around the barrels.

Then my other comps shoot at the barrel. 

*Boom*

Sometimes you get lucky and the explosion crits a lot. But at the least it weakens the mob. I focus fire the drake (even have Xoti use the harvest spell) down.

It's not a guarantee for making the fight, but it helps. 

• Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

The digsite is the hardest fight I've had in the whole game. (I am currently on level 12.) A lot of people have also found Gorecci Street incredibly difficult, but it wasn't for me. (Not intended as a brag -- I guess I was just lucky.)

Hire adventurers, use all your resources, get the drake on "bloodied" and then "blessed harvest" it with Xoti. If that hits, you're a lot closer to winning. If not, you might be in trouble. Good luck!

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 1

enter from the bottom where there's a chokepoint. stealth through it. there's a gunpowder barrel there. have your tank lure mobs to him. then have xoti cast withdraw. use someone with a gun and shoot the barrel. fight will be manageable from there.

it's simple once you figured it out. also, if you play in potd the digsite i recommend a hireling paladin/chanter. one is enough to really get through everything.

• Like 1

Game got harder now.

People saying it's only there are lying. On POTD the Hasango main fight at lvl 10 has more nagas and shaman nagas than I can take.

I agree level 10 at Poko Kaharo was tough too, doable but in no way what it used to be ... can't wait to see what they did with the ending.

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Game got harder now.

People saying it's only there are lying. On POTD the Hasango main fight at lvl 10 has more nagas and shaman nagas than I can take.

I agree level 10 at Poko Kaharo was tough too, doable but in no way what it used to be ... can't wait to see what they did with the ending.

Glad to hear that. :)

Looking forward to my next pt. Maybe I shouldn't bring Vela along... :cat:

• Like 2

sign.jpg

I forgot to comment on your party composition

If your MC is a CC wizard I'd do something like this:

1-2 melee, tank and maybe off-tank.

Edér "swollen and infected hand" swordboarder. Pallegina is likely good as an off-tank (any spec). Haven't run with her in Deadfire. Valians irk me.

Xoti as heals and buffer is a solid choice.

I'd bring Maia or Serafen. A stealther/mechanics is nice. Maia is consistent damage, Serafen is combat-versatile. I'd pick based on which personality I'd like better.

And then I'd likely bring fishboy. Tekesomething. He is great for heals, CC and the fact his subclass attacks aren't friendly fire, is a great boon. That chillfog.

On second thought. **** Pallegina. That bird can stuff it up her cloaca.

Edited by Frak
  • Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

Yeah I was getting destroyed on this fight on hard mode. Couldn't understand why everyone was saying the game is so easy. 

There is a significant difference between normal and hard when it comes to this fight. Hard is indeed a lot more difficult. Haven't tried potd, but I suppose that takes it up another notch.

I suppose the main point is that since you're at a relatively low level, you have a lot less wiggle room in case anything goes wrong; i.e. if you make a tactical mistake or happen to be particularly unlucky with the dice, you might not be able to recover, given that you are fairly low on HP and resources.

After this fight, and playing on hard, there has been nothing that comes close in terms of difficulty.

worst fight i would say is the first ship fight with benweth. ship crew are very easily killed and few times eder died as well. and you are easily killed too.

obsidian noticed their mistake and then even you are killed you are reborn on the beach. is just a prologue starting character. not sure sometimes obsidian are clueless in what they are doing.

worst fight i would say is the first ship fight with benweth. ship crew are very easily killed and few times eder died as well. and you are easily killed too.

obsidian noticed their mistake and then even you are killed you are reborn on the beach. is just a prologue starting character. not sure sometimes obsidian are clueless in what they are doing.

Maybe this was in a previous version. Currently on PotD I have yet to lose more than a single sailor in that first ship fight.

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

Are you talking about potd only? Because on lower difficulties, even on hard, it's nowhere near to how you're describing it.

Are you talking about potd only? Because on lower difficulties, even on hard, it's nowhere near to how you're describing it.

My apologies. Yeah it's on potd