Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Justin Bell resigned?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3190 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The tavern pieces in this game are absolutely awesome, I have no idea what you people are on about.

Do agree though that they feel a bit out of place for the bathhouse.

• Achilles, ShadySands, Suen and 6 others like this

Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1552 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

As of this morning, it seems like Avellone has just edited at least one of his posts to remove the line about Justing Bell possibly resigning.

What does that mean?  I dunno.  But he's been the only "source" for this rumor so far.

• Achilles, misterjimmy and PantherX14 like this

dukeisaac

dukeisaac

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I like the music in general (I especially LOVE the new battle music), but I do have a few (minor gripes):

1. Music vs ambiant sound : I would have liked if a little more effort was made for ambiant sounds (yells in the streets, people coughing, laughing, etc.). While they are noticeable in several locations (notably in the Court at Fort Deadlight and at the Luminous Bathhouse), they are often second fiddle to the music and quite discreet. In addition, areas with little to no music but significant ambiant sound would have gone a long way in setting a more urgent/sinister tone (think the Docks in BG2) ;
  2. Music range : apart from battle music and certain areas, the music can be a bit repetitive...

That being said, I'm a huge fan of Justin Bell's work for the POE series (I'm especially fond of the opening track for POE, man, I still get shivers). I would just like to hear more of it :)

And I'm willing to pay :)

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2021 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

As of this morning, it seems like Avellone has just edited at least one of his posts to remove the line about Justing Bell possibly resigning.

What does that mean?  I dunno.  But he's been the only "source" for this rumor so far.

It means Justin Bell is staying at Obsidian. He posted on an another thread saying so.

• AndreaColombo, marelooke, InsaneCommander and 4 others like this

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Plot twist!
Justin Bell didn't leave after all, according to Avellone.

Well this is awkward....
  • IndiraLightfoot, AndreaColombo, marelooke and 5 others like this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2022 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It means Justin Bell is staying at Obsidian. He posted on an another thread saying so.

:)

• AndreaColombo likes this

juanval

juanval

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 227 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I love the "Black Hound" theme from PoE1. If I had the partiture I could play it with my guitar :rolleyes:

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 439 posts

I love the "Black Hound" theme from PoE1. If I had the partiture I could play it with my guitar :rolleyes:

I just went on Youtube to remind myself what it was. And yes, I agree, it's nice. It should also be easy enough to learn by ear in a couple of hours, if you've played for some time, or immediately, if you're a pro. It's quite simple.

Edited by xzar_monty, 01 November 2018 - 02:54 AM.

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2022 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

My favorite is the "Stalwart Village" Theme:

• Suen, AndreaColombo and dukeisaac like this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5041 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well that's the IT industry for ya. Most people don't stay in one place for too long.

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well that's the IT industry for ya. Most people don't stay in one place for too long.

Except, he has stayed.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5383 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

My favorite is the "Stalwart Village" Theme

+1
  • InsaneCommander likes this

misterjimmy

misterjimmy

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 138 posts

AVfwM40.png

It may possibly be true or just rumor from unspecified sources.

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

AVfwM40.png

It may possibly be true or just rumor from unspecified sources.

The dude is seriously off the rails right now! So unprofesh! Entertaining, but definitely in bad form.

• ShadySands, Suen, IndiraLightfoot and 4 others like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14003 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
The more I read from this guy the more I get the impression that he's a douche. Or drunk. Or both.
  • Suen, TheisEjsing, Sakai and 2 others like this

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

This is the way you talk to your spouse or your best friend over a beer after work, to blow off steam. It's not what one should be posting on a public internet forum for God's sake!

He is MCA, I realize, but how good is this going to look on his (internet) resume. Hire me for your project. And after I leave, I might trash your company on public internet forums because that's just how I roll! 

:roll:

• Suen, IndiraLightfoot, Sakai and 2 others like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14003 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yeah - and there doesn't seem to be any intention to stop...

Hulk'O'Saurus

Hulk'O'Saurus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 688 posts
  • Steam:Yaz Mataz

That really depends, though...

Obsidian has shown itself to be badly managed at times--some of those cases being during Pillars and Deadfire development cycles. It has gone as deep as people not getting paid and once the money came in, them being spent elsewhere... It's a bit suspicious he mentions house costs.

What has he seen during his time on Obs?

Doesn't that raise your eyebrows a bit?

Trash him for what he says all you want, but to me he comes across as hurt from the whole fiasco. Maybe they had an excellent team going on for a while, one with which they could really create something good, but then money stepped in and... whad'ya know?

Edited by Hulk'O'Saurus, 01 November 2018 - 02:35 PM.

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would consider the source heavily.  The fact that he's hanging out at place like the codex says volumes by itself.

Edited by anameforobsidian, 01 November 2018 - 05:34 PM.

• Achilles likes this

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

That really depends, though...

Obsidian has shown itself to be badly managed at times--some of those cases being during Pillars and Deadfire development cycles. It has gone as deep as people not getting paid and once the money came in, them being spent elsewhere... It's a bit suspicious he mentions house costs.

What has he seen during his time on Obs?

Doesn't that raise your eyebrows a bit?

Trash him for what he says all you want, but to me he comes across as hurt from the whole fiasco. Maybe they had an excellent team going on for a while, one with which they could really create something good, but then money stepped in and... whad'ya know?

I don't think I'm slamming the guy, just pointing out the obvious. Yeah, I get the clear sense that he's really hurt as well. I also get the sense that there are a lot of bad things going on behind the scenes at Obsidian, and that Chris needs to talk about it. I just think he should find a different, much more private audience. Possibly including a therapist in that mix. But the public forum thing is likely going to ultimately backfire on him in some way. It's just not smart, what he's doing.

Regarding Feargus, when Obsidian had their backer invited launch party for PoE 1 several years back I dropped in for a bit. I went up to Feargus to thank him for making the game I had been waiting more than a decade for, and initially I felt pretty uncomfortable with him. He was polite on the surface, but I couldn't help but feel like he was put out that I *deigned* to interrupt the small group conversation he was having at his table. Even though he was right in the middle of the crowd, and presumably making himself accessible to the backers he had invited. When he saw that I had no intention of making it a long hello, he seemed to get a bit more friendly, and invited me to enjoy myself (but again, the sense was, just don't bother me). No idea if I read that correctly.

I also chatted with Josh, and he seemed ready to sit down and have more of a conversation with me. I really had only meant to say a quick hello and express my gratitude for delivering the game, so I made it quick with him. But my feeling was that I was talking to a genuinely good dude.

• Suen, marelooke and daven like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users