Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Justin Bell resigned?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2901 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
The turnover rate is seemingly getting significant at senior positions. Longtime Obsidianites Akari and Anthony Davis are also out.

Hulk'O'Saurus

Hulk'O'Saurus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 688 posts
  • Steam:Yaz Mataz

It's no secret the company has weak leadership despite all the talent. 

It's also based in California. How's that prudent?

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1993 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I really like his work and his willingness to discuss with us here in the forums. I wish all the best for him.

• AndreaColombo, Silent Winter, TheisEjsing and 3 others like this

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

If rumors are to be believed about Obsidian and Microsoft, this is likely just one of many. Going from a small company feel to being part of a corporate juggernaught is not a transition everyone is going to want to make.

This does make me sad to see though. I have very much come to enjoy and appreciate Justin's work. He also seems like a really good, humble guy too.

• AndreaColombo, thelee and misterjimmy like this

gloomseeker

gloomseeker

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 157 posts

If rumors are to be believed about Obsidian and Microsoft, this is likely just one of many. Going from a small company feel to being part of a corporate juggernaught is not a transition everyone is going to want to make.

This does make me sad to see though. I have very much come to enjoy and appreciate Justin's work. He also seems like a really good, humble guy too.

The man is not dead. 

Cheer up. ;)

Interesting. I don't know that it instantly connected me to the Dyrwood. It did instantly connect me to the first game, which I thought was a smart counterbalance to all the things they were doing to be different from it.

It wouldn't have been a big deal if the new music would have been more memorable.  I believe Bell wrote something in the forum about wanting the music for Deadfire to blend more into the background, maybe that's another reason for this. PoE II needed a score that invoces a lust for adventure, whereas PoE I was fine with its rather melancholic score. Deadfire doesn't really know where it stands atmospherically.

A good soundtrack doesn't stand out. The moment you notice it is the moment when it fails. It has to support the action, not take the front seat. 

Edited by gloomseeker, 28 October 2018 - 09:03 AM.

• InsaneCommander and Vitalis like this

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The man is not dead. 

Cheer up. ;)

What? Who said anything about him being dead?  :blink:

Archaven

Archaven

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1481 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's not a big loss for Obsidian because you don't like the music of Deadfire?

i like the music in deadfire. i'm not sure if it's a big loss but i do count deadfire is a masterpiece of game for me :)

gloomseeker

gloomseeker

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 157 posts

The man is not dead. 

Cheer up. ;)

The whole thread reads like a eulogy. 

Unless he's retiring from the industry chances are we will be able to enjoy his work in other titles. 

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The man is not dead. 

Cheer up. ;)

The whole thread reads like a eulogy. 

Unless he's retiring from the industry chances are we will be able to enjoy his work in other titles. 

The eulogy, from my point of view, is more related to Obsidian. Again, assuming certain rumors out there turn out to be true. Seeing Justin moving on seems like a possible omen of things to come. I can't speak for others, but that would be my take on it.

• marelooke likes this

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2021 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The turnover rate is seemingly getting significant at senior positions. Longtime Obsidianites Akari and Anthony Davis are also out.

Akari?

TheisEjsing

TheisEjsing

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 819 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

My fellow obsidianites. We are gathered here today to honour and pay tribute to the life of Justin Bell, and to express our love and admiration for him.

Edited by TheisEjsing, 28 October 2018 - 10:44 AM.

• Marceror and gloomseeker like this

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

My fellow obsidianites. We are gathered here today to honour and pay tribute to the life of Justin Bell, and to express our love and admiration for him.

He was so young! :(

• TheisEjsing likes this

glennjones130486

glennjones130486

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

For those discussing the reused Pillars 1 music fitting in with the Deadfire OST, I have an idea: remix the reused tracks.

I have made a thread to discuss this idea: https://forums.obsid...c-be-practical/

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2246 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I really like Santa Monica so maybe this loss is cancelled out for me. I wonder if he will still get to compose, or if he is handling more of the technical/managerial side of audio production. If they are looking to replace Bear McCreary as composer, I think Justin Bell would be a great follow up for the God of War series.

In the mean time this is a big loss for one of my favorite IPs/Devs, though I'm excited to see who will join Obsidian next.

bringingyouthefuture

bringingyouthefuture

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

What's wrong with CA other than it being the best place ever ... ; )

gloomseeker

gloomseeker

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 157 posts

What's wrong with CA other than it being the best place ever ... ; )

Water supply?

After all that's the entire premise of the first Fallout. 

• marelooke and bringingyouthefuture like this

Zerggerberg

Zerggerberg

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts

dropped deadfire gameplay two times before got used to soundtracks. That orchestral loud intro already making ears bleed, than you go to tavern and get another instrumental stress test. But thankfully i got used to it and don't care anymore, that would be shame to quit such amazing game for such silly reason.

Edited by Zerggerberg, 30 October 2018 - 05:03 AM.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2901 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Akari?

Richard Taylor. He posted as Akari on these forums. He was quite active during the KotOR 2 days.

Edited by Leferd, 30 October 2018 - 09:19 PM.

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2021 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Plot twist!

Justin Bell didn't leave after all, according to Avellone.

• IndiraLightfoot and kanisatha like this

frogmoth

frogmoth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts

dropped deadfire gameplay two times before got used to soundtracks. That orchestral loud intro already making ears bleed, than you go to tavern and get another instrumental stress test. But thankfully i got used to it and don't care anymore, that would be shame to quit such amazing game for such silly reason.

Had to chuckle a bit while reading that. The tavern music is really terrible, especially the track you seem to get hit with EVERY time you enter one. I also never understood why the bathhouse has this music playing, destroys the whole atmosphere this place could potentially have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users