Justin Bell resigned?

misterjimmy

My favorite is the "Stalwart Village" Theme

+1

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

AVfwM40.png

It may possibly be true or just rumor from unspecified sources.

The dude is seriously off the rails right now! So unprofesh! Entertaining, but definitely in bad form.

• Like 7

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

This is the way you talk to your spouse or your best friend over a beer after work, to blow off steam. It's not what one should be posting on a public internet forum for God's sake!

He is MCA, I realize, but how good is this going to look on his (internet) resume. Hire me for your project. And after I leave, I might trash your company on public internet forums because that's just how I roll! 

:roll:

• Like 5

That really depends, though...

Obsidian has shown itself to be badly managed at times--some of those cases being during Pillars and Deadfire development cycles. It has gone as deep as people not getting paid and once the money came in, them being spent elsewhere... It's a bit suspicious he mentions house costs.

What has he seen during his time on Obs?

Doesn't that raise your eyebrows a bit?

Trash him for what he says all you want, but to me he comes across as hurt from the whole fiasco. Maybe they had an excellent team going on for a while, one with which they could really create something good, but then money stepped in and... whad'ya know?

Edited by Hulk'O'Saurus

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

That really depends, though...

Obsidian has shown itself to be badly managed at times--some of those cases being during Pillars and Deadfire development cycles. It has gone as deep as people not getting paid and once the money came in, them being spent elsewhere... It's a bit suspicious he mentions house costs.

What has he seen during his time on Obs?

Doesn't that raise your eyebrows a bit?

Trash him for what he says all you want, but to me he comes across as hurt from the whole fiasco. Maybe they had an excellent team going on for a while, one with which they could really create something good, but then money stepped in and... whad'ya know?

I don't think I'm slamming the guy, just pointing out the obvious. Yeah, I get the clear sense that he's really hurt as well. I also get the sense that there are a lot of bad things going on behind the scenes at Obsidian, and that Chris needs to talk about it. I just think he should find a different, much more private audience. Possibly including a therapist in that mix. But the public forum thing is likely going to ultimately backfire on him in some way. It's just not smart, what he's doing.

Regarding Feargus, when Obsidian had their backer invited launch party for PoE 1 several years back I dropped in for a bit. I went up to Feargus to thank him for making the game I had been waiting more than a decade for, and initially I felt pretty uncomfortable with him. He was polite on the surface, but I couldn't help but feel like he was put out that I *deigned* to interrupt the small group conversation he was having at his table. Even though he was right in the middle of the crowd, and presumably making himself accessible to the backers he had invited. When he saw that I had no intention of making it a long hello, he seemed to get a bit more friendly, and invited me to enjoy myself (but again, the sense was, just don't bother me). No idea if I read that correctly.

I also chatted with Josh, and he seemed ready to sit down and have more of a conversation with me. I really had only meant to say a quick hello and express my gratitude for delivering the game, so I made it quick with him. But my feeling was that I was talking to a genuinely good dude.

• Like 3

I would consider the source heavily.  The fact that he's hanging out at place like the codex says volumes by itself.

He has also been strongly contradicted by others with knowledge of the inner workings at Obsidian.

I think its quite clear there are management problems. That being said, whether the company is about to be bought or unraveling, Avelone's actions are petty.

Edited by dukeisaac
  • Like 2

AVfwM40.png

I feel like MCA just sort of "polices" what he sees as ideal corporate culture while having no candor when talking about how his other employees get caught up in it. It's not the first time he's complained about Josh benefiting from his own hard work and enjoying some allowances, only to bitch about some aspect of it, but then give the caveat that he isn't blaming Josh. Sometimes I feel MCA likes Josh but is super jealous of how Josh has managed to navigate corporate culture while he hasn't (and further allowed himself to get burned by it.)

Also, as other's have noted. A lot of MCA's posts do come off as if they were drunken ramblings. I just don't see why you'd be so untactful when leveraging so much gossip over other people's professional livelihoods, but if you were drunk...

Edited by injurai
  • Like 10

Wow, I thought this stopped, but apparently it still goes on. I have to head back to the codex and see what I've missed in the past weeks / months!

Bit funny how MCA tried to stir up stuff for a while but then absolutely nothing came out of any of this, because - I guess - in the end, everyone feels like this is just drunk rambling.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

AVfwM40.png

Sheesh. Avellone's post, both in content and in style, is terrible. If you're seriously involved in a given business, this is NOT how you talk.

It actually made me feel sad, it's so far below any standards you'd expect from a well-known figure.

• Like 4

every obsidian related chrisA post from the past three years should be replaced with a link to the following:

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 6

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Heh. Good call Gromnir. The level of toxic bitterness is (almost) high enough. Of course, it's missing disingenuous concern for the welfare of Augustus Octavius and accompanying poor career advice for same. Nevertheless, a clear improvement all around.

every obsidian related chrisA post from the past three years should be replaced with a link to the following:

HA! Good Fun!

I love the "Black Hound" theme from PoE1. If I had the partiture I could play it with my guitar :rolleyes:

I'm happy to tell you that I found the music sheet ;)

you can donwload it.

I hope to listen more themes from master Bell in future PoE adventures :yes:

• Like 1

Sounds like he is self-medicating with booze. Not such a great idea.

He must move on, for his own sanity. He can't keep listening to the gossips.

Whoever is feeding him this crap, doesn't have his best interests in mind. 

• Like 2

I've come to burn your kingdom down

Did Avellone piss off every bartender in his neighbourhood and has no other way to drunkenly vent but on the codex? I'm not going to like the stuff he wrote any less just because he is being silly on the 'net, but seriously -- dude. 'tis embarrassing.

Anyway. Justin Bell, if you're still reading here sometimes -- thank you for the music! That main theme of "Tyranny"... :wub:

Did Avellone piss off every bartender in his neighbourhood and has no other way to drunkenly vent but on the codex? I'm not going to like the stuff he wrote any less just because he is being silly on the 'net, but seriously -- dude. 'tis embarrassing.

Anyway. Justin Bell, if you're still reading here sometimes -- thank you for the music! That main theme of "Tyranny"... :wub:

In all fairness if you're going to post on the Codex you probably don't want to be sober. 

• Like 1