Justin Bell resigned?

misterjimmy

If rumors are to be believed about Obsidian and Microsoft, this is likely just one of many. Going from a small company feel to being part of a corporate juggernaught is not a transition everyone is going to want to make.

This does make me sad to see though. I have very much come to enjoy and appreciate Justin's work. He also seems like a really good, humble guy too.

The man is not dead. 

Cheer up. ;)

What? Who said anything about him being dead?  :blink:

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

If rumors are to be believed about Obsidian and Microsoft, this is likely just one of many. Going from a small company feel to being part of a corporate juggernaught is not a transition everyone is going to want to make.

This does make me sad to see though. I have very much come to enjoy and appreciate Justin's work. He also seems like a really good, humble guy too.

The man is not dead. 

Cheer up. ;)

The whole thread reads like a eulogy. 

Unless he's retiring from the industry chances are we will be able to enjoy his work in other titles. 

The man is not dead. 

Cheer up. ;)

The whole thread reads like a eulogy. 

Unless he's retiring from the industry chances are we will be able to enjoy his work in other titles. 

The eulogy, from my point of view, is more related to Obsidian. Again, assuming certain rumors out there turn out to be true. Seeing Justin moving on seems like a possible omen of things to come. I can't speak for others, but that would be my take on it.

• Like 1

My fellow obsidianites. We are gathered here today to honour and pay tribute to the life of Justin Bell, and to express our love and admiration for him.

He was so young! :(

• Like 1

I really like Santa Monica so maybe this loss is cancelled out for me. I wonder if he will still get to compose, or if he is handling more of the technical/managerial side of audio production. If they are looking to replace Bear McCreary as composer, I think Justin Bell would be a great follow up for the God of War series.

In the mean time this is a big loss for one of my favorite IPs/Devs, though I'm excited to see who will join Obsidian next.

dropped deadfire gameplay two times before got used to soundtracks. That orchestral loud intro already making ears bleed, than you go to tavern and get another instrumental stress test. But thankfully i got used to it and don't care anymore, that would be shame to quit such amazing game for such silly reason.

Edited by Zerggerberg

The turnover rate is seemingly getting significant at senior positions. Longtime Obsidianites Akari and Anthony Davis are also out.

Akari?

Richard Taylor. He posted as Akari on these forums. He was quite active during the KotOR 2 days.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

dropped deadfire gameplay two times before got used to soundtracks. That orchestral loud intro already making ears bleed, than you go to tavern and get another instrumental stress test. But thankfully i got used to it and don't care anymore, that would be shame to quit such amazing game for such silly reason.

Had to chuckle a bit while reading that. The tavern music is really terrible, especially the track you seem to get hit with EVERY time you enter one. I also never understood why the bathhouse has this music playing, destroys the whole atmosphere this place could potentially have.

I like the music in general (I especially LOVE the new battle music), but I do have a few (minor gripes):

1. Music vs ambiant sound : I would have liked if a little more effort was made for ambiant sounds (yells in the streets, people coughing, laughing, etc.). While they are noticeable in several locations (notably in the Court at Fort Deadlight and at the Luminous Bathhouse), they are often second fiddle to the music and quite discreet. In addition, areas with little to no music but significant ambiant sound would have gone a long way in setting a more urgent/sinister tone (think the Docks in BG2) ;
  2. Music range : apart from battle music and certain areas, the music can be a bit repetitive...

That being said, I'm a huge fan of Justin Bell's work for the POE series (I'm especially fond of the opening track for POE, man, I still get shivers). I would just like to hear more of it :)

And I'm willing to pay :)

As of this morning, it seems like Avellone has just edited at least one of his posts to remove the line about Justing Bell possibly resigning.

What does that mean?  I dunno.  But he's been the only "source" for this rumor so far.

It means Justin Bell is staying at Obsidian. He posted on an another thread saying so.

• Like 7

Hate the living, love the dead.

I love the "Black Hound" theme from PoE1. If I had the partiture I could play it with my guitar :rolleyes:

I just went on Youtube to remind myself what it was. And yes, I agree, it's nice. It should also be easy enough to learn by ear in a couple of hours, if you've played for some time, or immediately, if you're a pro. It's quite simple.

Edited by xzar_monty