Justin Bell resigned?

misterjimmy

If true, that's a huge loss for Obsidian. Justin's a really cool guy as well. He would be sorely missed by heaps of people, and especially by me. I really wish him good luck, though, in his new endeavours. Not that he really needs it, though. He's got talent in spades! :yes:

• Like 15

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

RPG Codex.

Huge loss if Justin left :(

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Avellone's been on a drunken codex spam for a very long time now. It's amusing sometimes, informative sometimes, and petty sometimes. Pick your poison. Really sad if Justin Bell left. But good for him if he gets to follow his ambition, and unsurprising that he got swopped up. The man got a good portfolio for a young composer, that has to open doors.

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 13

I'm not a fan of the company per se, i'm a fan of the games (and the games as a whole). The quality of Deadfire suffers for me because of the music. On the other hand, i really liked his music on Tyranny and PoE I was okay too. Everyone makes a misstep sometimes.

Edited by frogmoth

Not that huge of a loss to be honest, the Soundtrack für Deadfire is extremely underwhelming for me. 

I wouldn't say it's extremely underwhelming, but I get what you mean: very simple melodies in 3/4 time upon a background of conventionally "dramatic" strings isn't exactly innovative.

Not that huge of a loss to be honest, the Soundtrack für Deadfire is extremely underwhelming for me. 

I wouldn't say it's extremely underwhelming, but I get what you mean: very simple melodies in 3/4 time upon a background of conventionally "dramatic" strings isn't exactly innovative.

Another problem for me is the inconsistent tone, maybe because of the recycling of music from the first game, music everyone who has played it instantly connects to the Dyrwood-Setting. Maybe it was also rushed somehow, who knows. The Shanties are nice though.

So... it is a loss?

Could it hurt the get some new blood for the next games? But who knows what comes next, with Obsidian probably being bought by Microsoft and at all that. Somehow i don't expect a third PoE to be my cup of tea, but we will see...

• Like 1

Another problem for me is the inconsistent tone, maybe because of the recycling of music from the first game, music everyone who has played it instantly connects to the Dyrwood-Setting. Maybe it was also rushed somehow, who knows. The Shanties are nice though.

Yes, I agree that the musical connections to Dyrwood are problematic. I also think the Shanties are the best part of the soundtrack. They sound authentic enough to be credible, i.e. they are nicely written in the tradition of actual old sea shanties.

I'm a bit surprised by the small amount of (new) music the game contains. I don't know if the songs are going to change later on, but it has to be said that I've listened to the same couple of tracks a lot at this point. Incidentally, the same goes for the game tips shown on loading screens: looks like there are only something like four or five of them, and they repeat endlessly.

Interesting. I don't know that it instantly connected me to the Dyrwood. It did instantly connect me to the first game, which I thought was a smart counterbalance to all the things they were doing to be different from it.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Reused music is something I'm ambivalent on. I don't mind it for generic tracks, and at significant moments a callback can be really cool (eg the first appearance of the Eyeless in WM2 used the biawac music from the start of PoE1 which was great) but I don't like it when music I associate with certain areas gets reused in a more generic way. Burial Isle music at Poko Kahara?! D:<

• Like 1

Interesting. I don't know that it instantly connected me to the Dyrwood. It did instantly connect me to the first game, which I thought was a smart counterbalance to all the things they were doing to be different from it.

It wouldn't have been a big deal if the new music would have been more memorable.  I believe Bell wrote something in the forum about wanting the music for Deadfire to blend more into the background, maybe that's another reason for this. PoE II needed a score that invoces a lust for adventure, whereas PoE I was fine with its rather melancholic score. Deadfire doesn't really know where it stands atmospherically.

Edited by frogmoth
  • Like 1

Reused music is something I'm ambivalent on. I don't mind it for generic tracks, and at significant moments a callback can be really cool (eg the first appearance of the Eyeless in WM2 used the biawac music from the start of PoE1 which was great) but I don't like it when music I associate with certain areas gets reused in a more generic way. Burial Isle music at Poko Kahara?! D:<

For me it's mainly the nighttime music. This track is closely connected to the vibe of the first game. 

Edited by frogmoth
  • Like 1

Yes, I agree that the musical connections to Dyrwood are problematic. I also think the Shanties are the best part of the soundtrack. They sound authentic enough to be credible, i.e. they are nicely written in the tradition of actual old sea shanties.

That's too bad:-). If I understood Josh correctly, those are actual sea shanties, but with lyrics modified by Josh to fit Eora lore. Not sure how much Justin had to do with them.

I do admit that I was expecting Deadfire ost to be much different considering the change of settings. I would probably welcome a more piratey feel. While I think it is fair to criticise that decision, I wouldn't necessarly criticise Justin for it. First of all, we don't know whom the decision came from. It could have been Justins idea to keep the connective tissue between both games, it might have been a directive from above. Either way, looking at individual pieces, they are quite good. One I am not a big fan of, is the overworld music - somehow it grates on my nerves. I really like "All Gods". All the Neketaka tracks are delightful as well. It's not an award winning OST, but a solid work.

The turnover rate is seemingly getting significant at senior positions. Longtime Obsidianites Akari and Anthony Davis are also out.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

If rumors are to be believed about Obsidian and Microsoft, this is likely just one of many. Going from a small company feel to being part of a corporate juggernaught is not a transition everyone is going to want to make.

This does make me sad to see though. I have very much come to enjoy and appreciate Justin's work. He also seems like a really good, humble guy too.

• Like 3

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

If rumors are to be believed about Obsidian and Microsoft, this is likely just one of many. Going from a small company feel to being part of a corporate juggernaught is not a transition everyone is going to want to make.

This does make me sad to see though. I have very much come to enjoy and appreciate Justin's work. He also seems like a really good, humble guy too.

The man is not dead. 

Cheer up. ;)

It wouldn't have been a big deal if the new music would have been more memorable.  I believe Bell wrote something in the forum about wanting the music for Deadfire to blend more into the background, maybe that's another reason for this. PoE II needed a score that invoces a lust for adventure, whereas PoE I was fine with its rather melancholic score. Deadfire doesn't really know where it stands atmospherically.

A good soundtrack doesn't stand out. The moment you notice it is the moment when it fails. It has to support the action, not take the front seat. 

Edited by gloomseeker
  • Like 2