3.1 - where the hell is spell shaping?

Killyox

Question

8 answers to this question

Like seriously. I can't find it anywhere and scroll doesn't work.

This is one frustrating and unintuitive thing. At least someone could come up with 1 sentence in patch notes about this.

The patch notes literally mention they're passives of the caster classes.

• Like 1

Like seriously. I can't find it anywhere and scroll doesn't work.

This is one frustrating and unintuitive thing. At least someone could come up with 1 sentence in patch notes about this.

The patch notes literally mention they're passives of the caster classes.

Yeah, I know. And how to use that? I see no way to use it. Might be something obvious I am missing, but I don't have it anywhere (as in the passive skill).

Scratch that. Found it. I thought it was passive skill on the bar somewhere available, not a skill you need to spend a point for. Silly of me.

Edited by Killyox

What the heck do you mean?

It's in on the passive (right) side of your ability tree. If you are a wizard, druid, chanter or priest.

And its description says it all: if you pick it then (nearly) all targeted AoE spells' areas can be modified with the zoom function (what you normally do to zoom in and out). The spells thst work even get a small icon in the ability bar so you know they work with Spell Shaping.

You'll trade Power Level for area and vice versa. There are three stages: bigger area but -1 PL, normal area and normal PL and smaller area and +1 PL.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Usually PL adds damage. In case of "Thrice She was Wronged" it may add more bolts instead, no idea.

But PL adds base damage (increases the dmg roll). You can't see it in the combat log as listed dmg bonus. The only thing you see ist your dmg roll is probably higher. It should also be shown in the tooltip of the ability itself - but since you can't use Spellshaping and at the same time look at the Tooltip there is no way to tell how the damage got influenced other than monitoring the dmg rolls. If it rolls higher numbers as it should you know that PL is adding dmg. You can test if PL adds damage to a spell with other PL bonuses as well. Use a Stone of Power and compare the dmg tooltip of your spell before and after.

Usually PL adds damage. In case of "Thrice She was Wronged" it may add more bolts instead, no idea.

But PL adds base damage (increases the dmg roll). You can't see it in the combat log as listed dmg bonus. The only thing you see ist your dmg roll is probably higher. It should also be shown in the tooltip of the ability itself - but since you can't use Spellshaping and at the same time look at the Tooltip there is no way to tell how the damage got influenced other than monitoring the dmg rolls. If it rolls higher numbers as it should you know that PL is adding dmg. You can test if PL adds damage to a spell with other PL bonuses as well. Use a Stone of Power and compare the dmg tooltip of your spell before and after.

Possible nit: for spell-like abilities, IIRC PL damage adjustment does show up in combat log. For martial abilities, it does not. (Though it's been a while since I checked so I could be wrong).

Any time an ability adds more projectiles, it also still adds more damage, it's not mutually exclusive. In fact, this is why wizard missile spells are really good with PL scaling. However, chanter abilities frequently are set to not have scaling projectile counts. For example, "Rejoice My Comrades!" and its upgrade used to get more projectiles with PL scaling, which in indoor environments made an empowered version extremely good, basically healing everyone to full health and annihilating enemies due to the many bouncing projectils you'd get; but this got fixed in a patch. I expect that that "Thrice was she wronged" is set to be capped at three, since the number of projectiles is similarly part of the ability/description.

Edited by thelee

Yes, maybe. I was thinking about the upgrade that adds jumps and thought it might scale with PL...?

Chanter-stuff that gets more "projectiles" is Eld Nary - altthough it's more jumps, not really projectiles.