Update #57 - Patch 3.1 - New Berath's Blessings, Challenges, and Mega Boss

Greetings, Watchers,

We hope you've been enjoying the Crucible of Kazuwari! In this Backer update, we're going to check out what's new in Deadfire's new Patch 3.1 that is available today!

Update 3.1

The patch is live! Some of the highlights of Update 3.1 include:

• UI Simplifications
    • Ship UI will now be hidden until you can access your ship
    • More options for auto-hiding elements of the HUD
  • Spell Shaping
    • Available for Wizard, Druid, Priest, and Chanter classes; this passive ability allows spell casters to adjust the radius of certain AoE spells to increase the power level or area that the spell can reach
  • Magran's Fire Difficulty Additions
    • All Challenges can now be done on any difficulty in the game! Play through with new challenges for a new, interesting game experience
  • New Berath's Blessings
    • ...Can I Pet Him Anyway?
      • The time has come, friends... Edér can now equip a pet
    • Infamous Past
      • Gain the Infamous Captain passive ability and live the life of someone who has survived a mutiny
  • Premade Characters
    • Characters can now be imported to use on various playthroughs through Deadfire. Characters can be chosen in character creation, or by visiting taverns and recruiting them as Adventurers

New Challenges

deadfire-update-53-magran-challenge--thu

Berath's Blessings isn't the only thing to get some additions in this patch. Two new challenges have been added with the 3.1 update.

Hylea - Vela is rather attached to the Watcher and won't leave your side, the poor thing, so it's up to you to protect her. If you don't, the game ends!

Rymrgand - Food will start to expire! Foods like hard tack will expire more slowly, but you should still stay vigilant and ensure a supply of fresh food!

A New Mega Boss

deadfire-megaboss-2-500p.png

A new Mega Boss can now be challenged! This colossal Ooze is prepared to face some of the strongest teams that dare brave it! Can you discover it's location and take on this fierce enemy?

Shacknews Feature

For the past few months, Shacknews editor, David L. Craddock, has been interviewing various people past and present associated with both the Infinity Engine games and Pillars of Eternity. From a deep dive into the world of isometric RPG's, Beneath a Starless Sky explores the events that would lead up to Obsidian's foundation and the journey that culminated in the release of Deadfire.  Check it out!

Additionally, Shacknews also published a backstage view of Obsidian before the launch of Deadfire as a part of their inaugural episode in their new "24 'Til Launch" series. Take a look to see some familiar faces you may not have seen in a while.

Physical Backer Rewards Update

For our physical backers we want to thank you all again for your patience and for having supported Deadfire. All of the backer goods have been shipped out at this point and we have loved seeing you post your items up on social media. We're still addressing those who have had issues with their shipments and we'll continue to answer tickets and make sure you get what you need. If you have any requests or questions, so please feel free to contact us.

Extra Life Marathon

On November 10th through 11th, we'll be hosting our 4th annual Extra Life Charity Marathon to help benefit the Children's Hospital of Orange County. It will be a weekend of fun and games, with special guests coming by to help raise money "for the chids." Among our very special guests and events that we'll be having that weekend, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky will be joining us on Sunday morning at 8:00 AM Pacific to play and discuss Fallout 1!

Be sure to hang out with us on the Obsidian Twitch channel over that weekend and help us raise money for a great cause.

Current Timeline

deadfire-contenttimeline-10.25.18-500p.p

Thank you again for your continued support! If you have any issues with the game, contact us through our support portal to help you on your journey.

Cheers,

The Deadfire team

Reach out to us on our various social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or here on our forums) and let us know your comments, your critiques, and what you love about the game.

Did you miss our last update? Check it out!
  • Like 21

On Twitter @MikeyDowling

Mikey, what is the latest on the Deadfire novella? The backer portal still says availability's scheduled for late May 2018.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• Spell Shaping
  • Available for Wizard, Druid, Priest, and Chanter classes; this passive ability allows spell casters to adjust the radius of certain AoE spells to increase the power level or area that the spell can reach

Help?! How do I access this in my savegame or do I need to start a new game?

• Spell Shaping
  • Available for Wizard, Druid, Priest, and Chanter classes; this passive ability allows spell casters to adjust the radius of certain AoE spells to increase the power level or area that the spell can reach
Help?! How do I access this in my savegame or do I need to start a new game?</p>

It should be available as a passive ability. If you have hit the level cap, then pay for retraining at a merchant.

Hello, I have a question: do the difficulty changes of the Path of the Damned affect current playthroughs, I mean, the ones started before the patch?

As long as an area has not been loaded into before, the difficulty changes for PotD will be available on any playthrough. If an area has been loaded, then a new playthrough will need to be started

• Like 3

On Twitter @MikeyDowling

Hello, I have a question: do the difficulty changes of the Path of the Damned affect current playthroughs, I mean, the ones started before the patch?

As long as an area has not been loaded into before, the difficulty changes for PotD will be available on any playthrough. If an area has been loaded, then a new playthrough will need to be started

Thank you :)

I would have prefered more usefull BB's, because those two are more gimmicks for the story, not much for surviving combats etc.

Personally, I like that I don't have to go out of my way to tick off my crew for the Infamous Captain talent :D

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Premade Characters

• Characters can now be imported to use on various playthroughs through Deadfire. Characters can be chosen in character creation, or by visiting taverns and recruiting them as Adventurers

Q. Can these include prebuilt characters from other players that have custom background stories? Can one build higher level characters with custom build paths and unique icons? Can they have unique sound sets?

Thanks.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I would have prefered more usefull BB's, because those two are more gimmicks for the story, not much for surviving combats etc.

there's already plenty of "make the game easier" blessings, I like ones which add something a bit more cosmetic/light. Could stand to be cheaper though
  • Like 1

Thank you :grin:  but ... in the new patch there is a small bug, because after hovering mouse over the pause button, the date and time are not displayed as previously.

Known bug, it's being addressed.

As new player. Is there a temporary hack/way I can see current in-game time?

(Besides saving the game and checking the date/ttime on the save.)

Nerf Troubadour!

Thank you :grin:  but ... in the new patch there is a small bug, because after hovering mouse over the pause button, the date and time are not displayed as previously.

clicking on the wait/rest button and seeing what time it is if you rest 1 hour and minus 1?

clicking on the wait/rest button and seeing what time it is if you rest 1 hour and minus 1?

Bingo. The "wait" command can tell me. Thanks for the tip.

Nerf Troubadour!