Patch Notes for 3.1.0.0016

Below are the Patch notes for the v3.1.0 Update, now live on Steam, GOG, & Origin. Thank you so much for your feedback and reports of these issues! And thank you to the Beta branch testers in making sure this patch was stable and ready for everyone to enjoy! This build will go live on the Apple Store pending Apple approval.

New Features & Updates

• UI Simplification
    • Changes to how some UI displays and the ability to customize some of the UI in and out of combat to provide a better experience for both. Dropdowns to control the UI can be found within the Options Menu.
  • Hauani O Whe Mega Boss - A new Mega Boss can now be challenged! This colossal Ooze is prepared to face some of the strongest teams that dare brave it!
    • Can be found on an island between Dunnage and Fort Deadlight.

• Spell Shaping
    • Spell shaping is available for the Wizard, Druid, Priest, and Chanter classes! This passive ability allows spell casters to adjust the radius of certain AoE spells to increase the power level or area that the spell can reach!
  • Magran's Fire Difficulty Additions
    • All Challenges can now be done on any difficulty in the game! Play through with new challenges for a new, interesting game experience!
  • New Berath's Blessings
    • ...Can I Pet Him Anyway? - Allows Eder to equip a pet! 
    • Infamous Past - Gain the Infamous Captain passive ability, as if you had survived a mutiny. 
      • +3 Intimidate, +5% Damage, Lower level Kith enemies may become Terrified at the beginning of combat. This will not award any achievements tied to mutinies. 

• Premade Characters
    • Characters can now be imported to use on various playthroughs through Deadfire. Characters can be chosen in character creation, or by visiting taverns and recruiting them as Adventurers.
  • Hylea and Rymrgand Challenges - Hylea and Rymrgand Challenges make their way into the Magran's Challenges!
    • Hylea - Vela joins the adventure and must be protected at all costs or the adventure is over! She does not take a party slot and does not attack during combat.
    • Rymrgand - Food now lasts for a small duration before decaying and expiring from use. 
  • Path of the Damned Endgame Tuning
    • Path of the Damned has been reworked to give a better experience for mid- and high-level end-game content. Can you survive the increased difficulty with your party?

Resolved Issues

• Swapping party members will spawn them near the Watcher as expected.
  • Players can no longer select blessings in challenge mode using a specific workaround.
  • The save button no longer becomes unclickable when attempting to create a save.
  • Quests for Seeker, Slayer, Survivor show the appropriate difficulty level in the Journal.
  • Figurines and items that have charges do not recharge at the end of combat or after rest, as intended.
  • Hired Adventurers now start with the correct engagement value when they are recruited.
  • Sacred Immolation no longer incorrectly gets 20% increased damage from Sworn Enemy.
  • Riposte no longer causes abilities such as Eternal Devotion to deal no damage.
  • Performing a Save/Load cycle near the aura-granting Paladin while on the ship no longer causes the aura to remain on the player indefinitely.
  • Characters exported to Steam Workshop are set to be visible to public by default.
  • Character Inspection window has been adjusted to a smaller font based on player feedback.
  • Mod load order can be changed without issue.
  • Completing Tasks in Seeker, Slayer, Survivor now awards significantly more experience.
  • The Chanter Bar now correctly changes when the UI changes.
  • Brilliant now restores resources every 6 seconds instead of every 3 seconds.
  • Added Vocalization to Call of Rymrgand priest spell.
  • Removed null game data reference from Overbearing Guard.
  • Kalakoth's Sunless Grasp now displays its Frost keyword on its stat block.
  • Kalakoth's Freezing Rake now displays its Frost keyword on its ability stat block.
  • Seven Nights She Waited and The Tears Falling Like Rain now display their Frost keywords on their ability stat block.
  • Thrice Was She Wronged and Her Revenge Swept Across now display their Electricity keyword on their ability stat block.
  • "Raw" is no longer a linked entry in the Journal.
  • Wizard spells in the Trickster ability tree now display correctly.
  • Slog Zone effects are now considered hostile.
      • Three Bells Through and Mechanical Marvel will now fire in a line when their projectile count is adjusted.
      • Veilpiercer and St. Omaku's Mercy base damage now correctly matches a War Bow's expected damage.
      • Ukaizo Guardian will no longer progress through his phases out of order.
      • Dragon Scales no longer hides itself from all UI and will only hide from the combat tooltip.
      • Fixed an issue where Belranga wouldn't use her screech unless someone was nearby.
      • Grave Calling and Hel Beckoning Freeze/Corrode procs now correctly only apply their procs to attacks made with these weapons.
      • Muwatu no longer respawns during the Humaire conversation when soul is infused with the Beast's essence.
      • The Arena Warden's portrait and character model for Beast of Winter now match. 
      • Players can no longer Save/Load to avoid Arena fights for Seeker, Slayer, Survivor.
      • The Life in Death passive ability is no longer usable during SI checks as intended.
      • The Watcher will not be treated as a companion during SIs in Kazuwari.
      • Companions will now bark before Seeker, Slayer, Survivor arena content.
      • Pickpocketing Mokeha for Rinco's coinpurse does not leave the item in the player's inventory when completing the Burning Bridges quest.
      • Survivor's Tusk now levels up correctly; affected players will have to unequip the item for it to change.
      • Watcher Vision VFX does not end prematurely if Humaire's Spirit is encountered.
      • Engari's conversation for Artifacts now triggers as expected for all Player choices.
      • The Flimsy Bridge SI will no longer display skill check values of 0.
      • Fixed Vela not entering her combat state under some conditions on the Hylea challenge 
      • Kua's Head can now be given to Ruasare on the Cruel Cargo questline.
      • Players will no longer get stuck in the SI during the fleet battle on any of their decisions through it.
      • Xoti will no longer hold your hand out of character if the player is not in a relationship with her.
      • Potions of Plenty now updates properly with the correct quest rewards Bubbling Chalice and Least Unstable Coil.
      • Player can no longer repeatedly loot bodies in the Hauani O Whe Megaboss encounter map.
      • Players should now be able to complete A Dance With Death on the Aeldys questline.

• Like 15

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

BOOM, fastest nerf undo in history: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/254/

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

the brilliant nerf sound sad. do you think it deem unnecessary?

I actually think it's the best way Obsidian could go about it.

I just like the power creep I had with the original version :)

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

the brilliant nerf sound sad. do you think it deem unnecessary?

I actually think it's the best way Obsidian could go about it.

I just like the power creep I had with the original version :)

i don't think it was the best, but it was certainly the easiest (instead of a more complicated version making higher-level spells recharge slower).

6s is probably "good enough." martial classes don't benefit as much, casters benefit more, just not as obscenely as before... maybe 3 restored spells from Ancestor's Memory instead of 6 for base (and slower shenanigans with Salvation of Time).

How does the spell shaping work? I tried to hit the icon above the spells that has the icon after selecting during level up. I also tried holding mouse button to drag and shape but nothing changes. What am I missing?

It is used when you target the spell affected by this passive (which has an icon over it) and via using zoom buttons (mouse wheel for example), this will change the spell's AoE and Power Level.

Some additional info about Spell Shaping for those interested in it:

Spell Shaping:

- Is a passive ability available at Power Level 4 for Chanter, Wizard, Druid and Priest classes.

- Affects most targeted circular/cone AoEs. Doesn't affect "wave" spells and AoEs that are cast around the caster.

- Provides three states for the spells it affects: general AoE, smaller AoE, larger AoE, they can be switched via zoom buttons.

- Larger version increases area of effect by ~30-40% and reduces PL of the spell by 5, bonus area is "foe only" (only the second targeting circle is increased)

- Smaller version reduces area by ~40-50% and increases PL of spell by 1, also removes safe zone from Intellect and makes the area "friend-or-foe only" (except "foe-only" spells) 

Edited by Volsalex

How does the spell shaping work? I tried to hit the icon above the spells that has the icon after selecting during level up. I also tried holding mouse button to drag and shape but nothing changes. What am I missing?

- Larger version increases area of effect by ~30-40% and reduces PL of the spell by 5, bonus area is "foe only" (only the second targeting circle is increased)

- Smaller version reduces area by ~40-50% and increases PL of spell by 1, also removes safe zone from Intellect and makes the area "friend-or-foe only" (except "foe-only" spells) 

OMG 5 PL O_o ?! -5 is when we roll to full or when we roll any above standard ? Generaly i like this new feature, but - 5 pl is quite harsh

• Like 1

OMG 5 PL O_o ?! -5 is when we roll to full or when we roll any above standard ? Generaly i like this new feature, but - 5 pl is quite harsh

if going from normal to large lets you target from 1 to 2 foes, then you've basically already made it worth the -5 PL penalty. I think it only becomes a toss-up really if you go were targeting five or more, and only gain one more target in the process.

(just as a general rule of thumb. you may want fewer targets at higher impact at times)

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

All this is good, every patch I am liking the game even more!  Can't wait to get into the later part of the game, and will definitely attempt the challenges, especially the food decay one :) Now about my dual wielding character ...

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Below are the Patch notes for the v3.1.0 Update, now live on Steam, GOG, & Origin. Thank you so much for your feedback and reports of these issues! And thank you to the Beta branch testers in making sure this patch was stable and ready for everyone to enjoy! This build will go live on the Apple Store pending Apple approval.

….

• New Berath's Blessings
    • ...Can I Pet Him Anyway? - Allows Eder to equip a pet! 

This is supposedly part of the live game? How does one get this "blessing"?

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Berath's Blessings are the rewards you receive for attaining achievements. A sort of "New Game +" option that allows you to start the game with special advantages (explored world map, gold, exp, equipment, etc.).

They are not meant to be used on your first playthrough, so make sure you finish the game at least once before worrying about Berath's Blessings! :sorcerer:

• Like 1

Berath's Blessings are the rewards you receive for attaining achievements. A sort of "New Game +" option that allows you to start the game with special advantages (explored world map, gold, exp, equipment, etc.).

They are not meant to be used on your first playthrough, so make sure you finish the game at least once before worrying about Berath's Blessings! :sorcerer:

Thanks for the explanation. I have absolutely no idea how I was otherwise supposed to understand this based on the patch notes.

Thanks for the explanation. I have absolutely no idea how I was otherwise supposed to understand this based on the patch notes.

If you really want to have this on your "first" game, you can play for a few hours with one character and get some achievements. Until you have enough points to buy the Blessings you want (you won't lose the points).

sign.jpg

you would have had to use the context clue of the header "new berath's blessings"

you would have had to use the context clue of the header "new berath's blessings"

That "context clue" indicated that something was new, but did not indicate that these only pertained to subsequent play throughs. So not enough "context" to answer my question, hence me having to ask here.