I can't believe Eder and Pelligina aren't romanceable. It's like they decided to make two of their most popular characters, ones that stood by you in pillar one, and said "nah, who would want that anyways?" Eder is literally the most popular character in Pillars 1, according to the poll on their own website. My personal theory is that they couldn't bear the idea of him being in a gay romance, so the homophobic ****s decided to make him offlimits and give him to whoever the hell that girl is. As for Pelligina, I have no clue. The first time they've included romance in one of their new CRPGS and they screw it up. I really wish they'd have left it out. 

Wait. Pallegina is a popular companion? Maybe because she's a paladin, but other than her combat effectiveness, I'm personally not a big fan. :p

I dunno, I always saw Eder more as a bromance. Not all characters need to be romanceable. 

Durance was probably the most interesting (certainly divisive) character of PoE1, yet I would not have wanted him as a romance option. 

• Like 2

Oh, I agree 100%.

And Obsidian agrees because you can have a relationship with the three romanceable companions regardless of race, sex, etc. 

Something can be said for realism/believability when a character does not want to engage with the player character in a romantic relationship. Something could also be said for characters having their own unique sexual identity or sexual/racial/ethnic biases.

• Like 4

This has been discussed exhaustively in the romance thread. So check that if you want a more profound discussion.

I think the idea, basically, is that Palegina's history doesn't make her inclined to have relationships. She could fall in love, of course, but not everyone will be interested in the Watcher: a mentally troubled person that doesn't exact look like a stable partner.

As for Eder, if he still has feelings for that woman, it will be more difficult to fall for someone else. Also: now he can have a pet with Berath's Blessing, so good luck competing with that. :p

• Like 5

sign.jpg

As for Eder, if he still has feelings for that woman, it will be more difficult to fall for someone else. Also: now he can have a pet with Berath's Blessing, so good luck competing with that. :p

There you go. Air-tight plot reason. Eder's personal quest would be really awkward if he was banging you. 

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 2

They basically decided that half of the character relationships would be with pro-faction fanatics who will leave you if you go any other narrative route, with no option to influence them or change their allegiances whatsoever. Maia, for example, is one of the most frustrating/unfulfilling character development paths I've seen in a CRPG.

Deadfire is a great game, but for all of Obsidian's pontificating about "doing romances right," they botched theirs completely.

They basically decided that half of the character relationships would be with pro-faction fanatics who will leave you if you go any other narrative route, with no option to influence them or change their allegiances whatsoever. Maia, for example, is one of the most frustrating/unfulfilling character development paths I've seen in a CRPG.

Deadfire is a great game, but for all of Obsidian's pontificating about "doing romances right," they botched theirs completely.

If the text in the game files is any indication, every faction companion can stay with you and fight against their faction under the right circumstances. Not that I'm a fan of the romances in this game at all

If the text in the game files is any indication, every faction companion can stay with you and fight against their faction under the right circumstances. Not that I'm a fan of the romances in this game at all

Really? I'll happily eat some crow then - is it just a disposition requirement? I wasn't able to convince Maia no matter what I did.

Really? I'll happily eat some crow then - is it just a disposition requirement? I wasn't able to convince Maia no matter what I did.

I don't know, and it's possible it's cut content. But there's lines for, eg, the head of the Rauatai faction talking about Maia betraying them. It may depend on the faction- I can see Maia siding with you in the "go it alone" ending, but maybe not if you go with the Vailians or Huana