Most of people say Resolve and Cons are relatively worse

Yeah, your second-last paragraph would definitely work.

+/- % Healing received for constitution would have a similar effect- and would probably be a lot easier than changing every single healing effect in the game. :p

I still like the idea of %-of-max-health healing though because of how healing would directly scale proportionately to constitution as opposed to just another bonus. Also not sure how +/- % Healing Received would work with an affliction like sickened. 

Edit: Specifically the negative part of that if you have less than 10 CON

Edited by Prince of Lies

Oh, as I said before. I don't think it will be changed (if at all) until PoE3.

You could either change the %-of-max-health or as you said the +5% Health/CON.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in the example I provided, it's with significant investment in constitution. 

If you add [healing received] to CON it would of course be a second effect, seperate from the effect on max health. So you could easily tweak it to a number that MIG has: 3% per point below/over 10. Iron Wheel would be much more popular I guess - without being terribly overpowered. At the moment everybody takes Turning Wheel despite its nerf.

Every.

Body. :)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Erm... at low con there is no added HP. There's substracted HP.  :)

Or did you mean Iron Wheel - which can be used to outbalance low CON and thus is more valuable with low CON?

Edited by Boeroer

How about a 1% multiplicative damage reduction instead. I.e. the added HP is more valuable at low con, the reduction becomes more valuable at high con.

I Should have been more specific.

3 to 4 con the HP value is quite high.

117 to 116% damage taken would be negligible.

91 to 90% damage is more significant.

How about a 1% multiplicative damage reduction instead. I.e. the added HP is more valuable at low con, the reduction becomes more valuable at high con.

I like that suggestion — tying Con to a multiplicative damage reduction/increase wouldn’t create widespread balance issues with other parts of the game (like having Con boost healing percentages), and it would make investing in Con/not dumping Con more attractive.

Not sure 1% would do enough to motivate me to treat Con differently. But maybe a 2% addition/reduction per point above/below 10?

Edited by whimper

It's something new and interesting, but it's not reliable.

And the more CON you have the less you will go down. THe less you go down the less you need that kind of effect. So... kind of redundant maybe? YOu could say the same ybout %healing, but it has the nice "downside" that you get healed less with low CON.

What happens with your suggestion when CON is below 10?

Edited by Boeroer

How about increasing the chance you will get wounds during combat without getting knocked down? As a wonky and skinny mage, you may break a rib more easily just by getting hit on the side of the chest. 

Perhaps we could further expand by having abilities that do wounds during combat without knocking down characters? More variety when you think about how to do debuffs. In order to apply a wound, though, you should have some form of Might present in relation to the opponent's Constitution. Rogues, for instance, and maybe Barbarians, could have added bonuses to these abilities, and if you want to break the rib of a dragon, you'd have to do a lot of work before that in order to cripple them.  

Also, I am keen on the idea of Con increasing healing received, but instead of having spells that do only percentage based healing, why not have them do percentage based and numbers, as well? That way a high Con character always stays relevant as a healing target as pretty much any healing will chunk him up better than it would a wonky char. In the same time that would also add more value of investing into a dedicated healer, as they will be able to increase the raw numbers of heals and thus keep even low Con target alive. 

Edited by Hulk'O'Saurus

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

I wondered the same and hoped no one would ask. 

Something like % chance of additional injury ?

3% less injuries for each point above 10

3% double injuries for each point below 10

I simply thought about that because avoiding injuries is more important now that there are Megabosses.

Plus I remembered an old Stat table from BG2 which stated Con gave a % chance of resurrecting with a spell (rez spells could fail ?). But it was never implemented :-

The thing is Con is more or less satisfying in its current state (except for items and tough as you said) so a situational bonus would suffice. Not that is is situational but powerful bonus since negating 3/4 of injuries is convenient in extereme cases (such as a party of self-immolating paladin with self rez and +2 zeal upon teammate death).

​Con is mostly disappointing for tanky solo play were Might is a counter-intuitively a better tanking stat than Con. 

Edited by Elric Galad

I simply thought about that because avoiding injuries is more important now that there are Megabosses.

Plus I remembered an old Stat table from BG2 which stated Con gave a % chance of resurrecting with a spell (rez spells could fail ?). But it was never implemented :-

i think this would add way too much variance to the game to be a good change. Essentially, con would give you stat that is "% chance not to die." That is a wild swing in outcomes from battle to battle.

(And there's a reason why not every AD&D mechanic was implemented in BG/BG2. AD&D--even though it's a system I'm sure many of us are nostalgically fond of--is really just a terribly designed game system. I mean, for crying out loud, if you were playing it correctly, you didn't even get to pick what class you got, it was essentially picked for you by the stats you rolled, which is why all those "minimum" stats things were a thing--however mostly meaningless--in BG/BG2.)

Anyway, I'm on the train that if there's any change to con, increasing healing received effectiveness is a good one to have. We already have some stat overlap (intellect influencing durations, resolve also affecting durations), so it's not unprecedented.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

i think this would add way too much variance to the game to be a good change. Essentially, con would give you stat that is "% chance not to die." That is a wild swing in outcomes from battle to battle.

(And there's a reason why not every AD&D mechanic was implemented in BG/BG2. AD&D--even though it's a system I'm sure many of us are nostalgically fond of--is really just a terribly designed game system. I mean, for crying out loud, if you were playing it correctly, you didn't even get to pick what class you got, it was essentially picked for you by the stats you rolled, which is why all those "minimum" stats things were a thing--however mostly meaningless--in BG/BG2.)

Anyway, I'm on the train that if there's any change to con, increasing healing received effectiveness is a good one to have. We already have some stat overlap (intellect influencing durations, resolve also affecting durations), so it's not unprecedented.

Are you playing in party of five? Because as it is, I think there is a little too little variance in the game :blink: .

Purely speculatively, if expanded upon, such a system could perhaps have ways of dealing with wounds, as well? In such a case I'd wish wounds could also mean something more serious, as well cost more resources to inflict to actually be meaningful.  

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

If I would design combat mechanics I would make it so that your action speed/recovery is very fast at the beginning of the fight and gets slower and slower the longer you fight - so endurance in its "real" meaning - to the point where it would be a tedious chore. Abilities and weapons would be rated so that they take different tolls (good way to balance weapons, too). Doing nothing (catching breath) would help you regain endurance/speed. More CON would give you more "endurance" and ultimately more dps if the fight takes longer.

Too much of a change for Deadfire, so healing received is my favorite. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

The thing is Con is more or less satisfying in its current state (except for items and tough as you said) so a situational bonus would suffice. Not that is is situational but powerful bonus since negating 3/4 of injuries is convenient in extereme cases (such as a party of self-immolating paladin with self rez and +2 zeal upon teammate death).

​Con is mostly disappointing for tanky solo play were Might is a counter-intuitively a better tanking stat than Con. 

Thing about an injury avoidance mechanic is that it would only be particularly useful for POTD players. Veteran and below don't have enemy injury on hit mechanics. It's an interesting thought, though. 

• Like 1