The important thing here is the duration of the spells (Disintegration & Stasis Shell). Psychovampiric Shield reduces enemies resolve by 10 which means they lose 30% of their reduction of the duration of negative effects. On the other hand, Borrowed Instinct might lead or not to a critical hit which will increase the duration of those spells by only 25%. The Psychovampiric Shield is clearly the winner because the duration increase is granted and greater.

I understand.

That makes it more complex now that I think about it. Because you can't really force the oozes to move all the time after you after they split. I suppose your plan here is that you 'withdraw' one and then move away? Then rinse and repeat? That, considering you're most likely using sword and board will be tough on the focus.

Jailer's Gloves gives a similar effect. It's 1 time only, but who knows... it might help.

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

• 2 months later...

Wow. This battle is really annoying. I managed to split it twice but them the oozes wouldn't move away from each other. I can see that parts of the terrain get in the way, but I'm pretty sure once it didn't move even with a clear path.

I'll try again but I'll not have the enchanted weapons attack. They hurt one of the massive ones so much that it merged with the one I as trying to attract. And they also took almost half of the hp from one of the bigger ones and it merged with the one formed by the massive oozes.  :banghead: 

I'm not looking foward to this in PotD. :w00t:

sign.jpg

If you read one of the other recent threads, you can keep them separated by interrupts.  The guy who came up with it used multiple stacks of Concelhaut's Crushing Doom spell.  When I watched Raven Darkholme's video (Victor Creed stream), he seemed to be doing it with Slicken later in the fight.  You can talk to those guys.

• Like 1

If you read one of the other recent threads, you can keep them separated by interrupts.  The guy who came up with it used multiple stacks of Concelhaut's Crushing Doom spell.  When I watched Raven Darkholme's video (Victor Creed stream), he seemed to be doing it with Slicken later in the fight.  You can talk to those guys.

I'll check that. Thanks for the tip.

I tried three times today and in the last one I got much better. I had one of the Gigantic Oozes and ended up with three Massive ones. Then when I killed the last massive it immediately recreated itself and one of my characters died. Instant ragequit...

sign.jpg

Fun fact - if Slicken really does interrupt merging on the Oozes, it cements its place as potentially most useful level 1 wiz spell (if not level 1 spell in general).  I used to give this nod to Chill Fog, but I've recently seen how Slicken can basically win the Concelhaut and Fampyr Cave fights for you ... going to try it out at Splintered Reef and also Flooded Cave now (edit:  pretty good in flooded cave but need to strip concentration from Lich with Damper or stacking Slickens, hard fight to win on Bloodmage/Barb w/o Potion of Final Stand / Edit2: yeah, it makes a huge difference in Splintered Reef).

Edited by brasilgringo

Fun fact - if Slicken really does interrupt merging on the Oozes, it cements its place as potentially most useful level 1 wiz spell (if not level 1 spell in general).  I used to give this nod to Chill Fog, but I've recently seen how Slicken can basically win the Concelhaut and Fampyr Cave fights for you ... going to try it out at Splintered Reef and also Flooded Cave now (edit:  pretty good in flooded cave but need to strip concentration from Lich with Damper or stacking Slickens, hard fight to win on Bloodmage/Barb w/o Potion of Final Stand / Edit2: yeah, it makes a huge difference in Splintered Reef).

Eothas reshattered, I did it! But it was tense! I forgot to try Slicken, this time I was much better at keeping them apart but I did have to fight at least 3 extra Massive Oozes that formed from the little ones, including one of the last two, that recreated itself. However, in most cases I stopped them using Thrust of the Tattered Veils, Mind Lance, Embrace of Earth-Talon and potions of interrupt.

Four Chanters in the party make a huge difference. ;)

20190120222200-1.jpg

Edit: Gaze of the Adragan is pretty good too.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

• 2 months later...

Megabosses in Pillars of Eternity II are sure meant to make you take into consideration everything from potions to scrolls to food to all sorts of arms and armor and the right combination of classes.

This one required a fair bit of World of Warcraftian style planning and tactics (not my cup of tea by any account, but I'm a completionist). This is how it went for me:

Party:

• Main (Elf, shadowdancer (assasin rogue/shattered pillar monk)),
  • Custom made crusader (no subclass Fighter/Shield Bearers of St Elcga Paladin).
  • Custom made multiclass chanter/ranger (no subclass on either) -->Crossbow proficiency, over 15 arcana (not strictly needed)
  • Maia--> as ranger -->crossbow proficiency
  • Mirke-->as monk

Important Notes:

• Maia and custom ranger where equipped with crossbows and had the crossbow mode on (very important)
  • Scrolls of great maelstrom to make quick work of oozes resulting from symbiote infection if it happens (not strictly needed)
  • Save both pets for a later stage (recommended)
  • -20% reload time chant (important)

The Fight

I first went in with my crusader and had him tank the boss. As soon as the fight started I had Maia, my custom chanter and my main firing their crossbows and bows on the boss. I had Mirke flank the boss and then kept her running in and out from the fight to prevent the ooze from damaging her (as soon as the ooze turned towards here I would run away). That way I got enough resonance on the boss to take it out in a few rounds. This part was easy as the crossbow mode shots kept interrupting the Ooze from casting Symbiote.

When the boss "dies" it generates two giant oozes that will, in time, merge together restoring the boss to full health. In order to prevent this, I had my crusader tank pull one of the giant oozes to the far left of the beach, and had the pets taking turns to lure the other giant ooze to the far right of the beach. My crusader kept the far-left ooze busy while everyone else spanked the one on the far right. When the far-right ooze died it spawned two Massive Oozes. Unless you can deal a ton of damage, it is still advisable to separate these oozes as you did with the giant ones. I used the pets once again to pick up one of them and pull it towards the middle of the beach. The rest of us proceeded to spank the remaining massive ooze. The massive ooze eventually split into two great oozes. From then on out, it was just a matter of taking out the smallest ooze and then going on to the big ones. When we were done with last remaining lesser ooze on the right, we repeated the procedure with the giant ooze on the left.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Megabosses are annoying to fight. One month ago I managed to beat Hauani O whe, only to see it splits into 2 huge oozes.

Today, I tried again with a good strategy I kill Hauani O whe, and when I have all under control vs the 2 huge oozes, they fusion creating Hauani O Whe again with full HP.

A pity they aren't well balanced.

Megabosses are annoying to fight. One month ago I managed to beat Hauani O whe, only to see it splits into 2 huge oozes.

Today, I tried again with a good strategy I kill Hauani O whe, and when I have all under control vs the 2 huge oozes, they fusion creating Hauani O Whe again with full HP.

A pity they aren't well balanced.

It can get really annoying. In one of my tries I ended up with Huanai again and another second sized one. :banghead:

sign.jpg

This was a very satisfying boss to kill. First attempt I reloaded after somehow creating more ooze than there was at the beginning. Second attempt I thought I had things under control, but obviously thinking that means I later managed to mess up the ooze so badly I created a second Hauani O Whe.

And I don't know how you do it... making ooze out of nothing at all.

Party: 3 heralds, 1 crusader (henceforth "the tank" or "my tank", but the whole party is tanky really), 1 inquisitor (psion)

Third time's the charm. After slaying the initial blob, I had my tank keep one of the splits herself while the others dragged the other split away. This was really my only chance, as there's no way I could reliably interrupt their merge, especially not given how slowly I was killing them. Fortunately, that turned out to work and they didn't try to merge.

At this point it was my belief that bigger oozes don't just split upon death, they also spawn smaller oozes at certain health intervals. Too, my psion had a fair deal of jobs, not least of which being to spam interrupt small oozes. So you can imagine my annoyance that seemingly every time she ran off to Pain Block or give Brilliant to the tank, she spawned a trail of oozes. Most of the time just standing around waiting for something to happen, but as soon as she tries to do something, she suddenly gets extra work on top. For a while I cursed Murphy's Law, but eventually I somewhat figured out Symbiote. Playing no rest, so I have a ton of buffs and it's not easy to see debuffs without checking character sheet.

After the first gigantic ooze split, I had to divide my party even more. Long story short, I didn't split them far enough and they ended up merging, so I had to start over on that one. Didn't mess it up the second time, and there I was with one gigantic and one massive. I'd figured out Symbiote fully by now - I'd been confused how some characters had managed to lose the debuff despite it not having a duration - so I could make sure to clear all my Symbiotes in a controlled manner before killing this massive ooze.

When the rest of the party finally rejoined the tank, she had - despite atrocious offensive power and only autoattacking with a base level Marux Aranth - taken off more than half her gigantic ooze's health. Probably spent half an hour getting to this point, so...

From then on the fight went like clockwork. I counted the corpses (through mass loot) later, and it turned out I killed 124 lesser oozes all in all.

Psion interrupt spam is so damn good <3

• Like 2

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I suspected that it'd be pretty good but couldn't in early game find a good way to deal with the party-unfriendly AoE, glad to know that someone got good mileage out of it.

I suspected that it'd be pretty good but couldn't in early game find a good way to deal with the party-unfriendly AoE, glad to know that someone got good mileage out of it.

I didn't pick psion for it, but yeah. I play mass tanks and I rarely bother with disrupting enemies, I just bunker up while they run out of resources and outlast them. I filed this interrupt under "will be less likely to work the more I need it to work" (along with most other CC in the game), because anything dangerous enough to require interrupts will probably also have defenses high enough that I have a terrible chance of landing the spell.

Clearly for this fight I needed interrupts however, and it was just the perfect tool. Fast cast, low cost, the small oozes are easy to hit and my party has so high defenses they aren't bothered by it.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!