If I want a front line Paladin who can heal, give out buffs and generally get in the way of the enemy is resolve still a crap stat?  Having a chicken **** Paladin (I know its RP) is just really unattractive :-/

Have gun will travel.

Since defection has increasing returns and paladins can get nice deflection it doesn't need to be dump stat for paladins. And on top there is the shorter afflicton time. There are some nice items that raise deflection besides shields - so you don't even need to use a shield to get respectable deflection values. For example there's a Breastplate that gives you deflection based on you Intimidation skill. Pretty cool for Bleak Walkers. Another one (Nomad's Brigandine) gives you +5 deflection if you are near allies. Since all item bonuses stack in Deadfire (unlike PoE) you can be defensive and still use a Great Sword, Estoc, two hammers or whatever.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Resolve is not a crap stat.

Resolve is simply the only stat that has increased benefits instead of decreasing. So easy to dump and require a lots of points to be effective.

Most builds are made to be effective with your active abilities. So they favor active stats (Mig, Dex, Per, Int).

But with Resolve around 35+ (including buff and items), you would start feeling unstoppable (DoT reduced, limited CC, high Defl)... which is a nice feat.

• Like 1

Resolve is not a crap stat.

Resolve is simply the only stat that has increased benefits instead of decreasing. So easy to dump and require a lots of points to be effective.

Most builds are made to be effective with your active abilities. So they favor active stats (Mig, Dex, Per, Int).

But with Resolve around 35+ (including buff and items), you would start feeling unstoppable (DoT reduced, limited CC, high Defl)... which is a nice feat.

Show me this 35 Resolve build. Is it solo viable?

What are you talking about? RESOLVE is one of the most useful skills in the game, not only for resisting mind controlling bullcrap but also for slightly increasing deflection, it is real good if you have a paladin that has at least 15 Intelligence and 14 resolve. if you want a healer put 16 on strenght and good dexterity, you can dump the constitution a little bit, around 7 and compensate with region and other items such as the belt of constitution which gives you 3.

What are you talking about? RESOLVE is one of the most useful skills in the game, not only for resisting mind controlling bullcrap but also for slightly increasing deflection, it is real good if you have a paladin that has at least 15 Intelligence and 14 resolve. if you want a healer put 16 on strenght and good dexterity, you can dump the constitution a little bit, around 7 and compensate with region and other items such as the belt of constitution which gives you 3.

I’m saying I personally complete a PoTD run solo with 10 RES and 10 CON. I find them both useless. Your results may very, but I’ve had great success without them.

To be fair I AM interested in a high resolve build that can solo all content.

Edited by diamondsforever
  • Like 1

I’ve done 4 solo PotD runs, one with max Resolve (20) and low Con (6), one with middling Con (12) and low Res (6), and two with flat Res and Con (10).

All of them have worked. So both kinds of builds are viable.

Edited by whimper

It's surprising how Resolve went from the go-to stat in PoE1 to near-dump in PoE2. I think mostly removing it from dialogue was a big cause.

It's surprising how Resolve went from the go-to stat in PoE1 to near-dump in PoE2. I think mostly removing it from dialogue was a big cause.

Think it comes down to personal preference.

People dumped it in POE 1 also

Then they missed out on all the dialogue options.

I think a lot of people preferred to wreck house in combat instead.

Funny you say that,  I have always liked tanking and healing (in the mmo sense) so I like defensive characters, pure DPS characters bore me lol  I cant stand how they fold like a stack of cards, granted you are right sometimes what you want is quick death so that nothing is standing.  Just the idea of a character who is soft turns me off

Have gun will travel.

Resolve is not useless. You very well can have a character that quickly shrugs off statuses. More so with items. 

People used to talk about that in a Paladin/Monk combination, which, considering Potion of Major Recovery, can very well be achieved with baseline 10 Resolve in any Paladin/x combination. You have so many ways to raise defenses, on top of having the resistances and additional bonuses vs afflictions from Crusader(if you will be playing that, that is.)

You can have a very well rounded Paladin if you consider your equipment carefully. I just don't see what you will gain by raising Resolve by a few points... :mellow: .

Either go full ham on it, and cover that with appropriate items, otherwise baseline does very well on Paladin.  

• Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Which ppl?

most of the discussion i was a part of back in the day, resolve was a dump stat.

in terms of dialogue options while it did give you a few alternative quest endings, it was only in a few cases. it's nothing like charisma/speech in fallouts 1-NV.

• Like 2

Which ppl?

most of the discussion i was a part of back in the day, resolve was a dump stat.

in terms of dialogue options while it did give you a few alternative quest endings, it was only in a few cases. it's nothing like charisma/speech in fallouts 1-NV.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/raw-numbers-for-poes-dialogue-checks.98722/

Incorrect.

Edited by Verde

Which ppl?

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/raw-numbers-for-poes-dialogue-checks.98722/

Incorrect.

Most of those are "flavor" alternate checks... like in Deadfire. Where you say something extra, or learn something extra, but nothing material changes in the dialogue tree or quest. Read the second paragraph in that link: "Mind you, the dialogue unlocked by these checks could still be ****."

Meanwhile, in the Fallout series, you could literally convince the final boss to kill themselves just by being charismatic and speechful enough. Entire quest chains could be blocked off from you for having the wrong stats or saying the wrong thing.

Edited by thelee

Which ppl?

Incorrect.

Most of those are "flavor" alternate checks... like in Deadfire. Where you say something extra, or learn something extra, but nothing material changes in the dialogue tree or quest. Read the second paragraph in that link: "Mind you, the dialogue unlocked by these checks could still be ****."

Meanwhile, in the Fallout series, you could literally convince the final boss to kill themselves just by being charismatic and speechful enough. Entire quest chains could be blocked off from you for having the wrong stats or saying the wrong thing.

So you mean like a Resolve check to make the Magma Dragon fly away? Or the multiple checks to have the Dragon fight Rym in the BoW? Like that?

You can keep trying to refute but I've provided you evidence and keep talking about Fallout. Don't care about Fallout. Just admit you are wrong- Resolve was an important dialogue attribute in PoE, it did everything you are saying above - changed quests and allowed you to take different routes.

Edited by Verde