What difficulty? In my opinion her subclass suxs. That make monk not that great for me. My next playthru in think it's best she is a pure priest.

I play her as a priest on classic difficulty. I'm playing her ranged, since she's rather squishy, even when equipped with high tier gear and a lot of athletics.

Hm, I play her as single class priest and use her as an offtank/buffer on PotD. Works totally fine with her hatchet + lantern (which both are quite good when enchanted). Since she's casting all the time and seldomly attacks with weapons her wpn dmg is not important. It's important that she can engage though (to stop rushers) and that doesn't work with a gun (although a gun is nice because it lets you react faster with castings - no recovery but only reload which can be canceled).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Hm, I play her as single class priest and use her as an offtank/buffer on PotD. Works totally fine with her hatchet + lantern (which both are quite good when enchanted). Since she's casting all the time and seldomly attacks with weapons her wpn dmg is not important. It's important that she can engage though (to stop rushers) and that doesn't work with a gun (although a gun is nice because it lets you react faster with castings - no recovery but only reload which can be canceled).

i played exactly like you. except i have multi-classed her (which is really a bad option). her buffs are really good.

also.. make her corrupted seems more like a better choice? as the damage buffs for all party. also, im not sure if skill buffs (religion/alchemy/intimidate/etc.) have they been nerfed? seems like putting alot of points don't yield good result.

Edited by Archaven

XOTI is great if you put her to melee, dual handed + haymaker + minor avatar + swift strikes + dance of death + her 2 fire and ice minions + fleshmender... she is insanely BROKEN!  if you put her to range + galawain favor + all buf and healing spells, she will be BROKEN too!,,, in my opinion, she is the best companion after aloth that you could have in all POE

• Like 1

XOTI is great if you put her to melee, dual handed + haymaker + minor avatar + swift strikes + dance of death + her 2 fire and ice minions + fleshmender... she is insanely BROKEN!  if you put her to range + galawain favor + all buf and healing spells, she will be BROKEN too!,,, in my opinion, she is the best companion after aloth that you could have in all POE

whole reason i've picker her as contemplative is because i wanted her to melee. minor avatar comes quite late and dance of death is it good? if she's melee she probably get hit. unless you activate it and then buff everything before engage. i usually have dance of death for range only.

There's Enduring Dance. Also Dance of Death gives you a wound and ACC bonus immediately after activating it. I always take it. It doesn't get removed by self damage or Dot ticks.

Besides that I think Xoti is not as good a Contemplative or SC Monk as a simple hireling or MC would be - simply because her monk subclass is quite bad. And surely she's not broken in any way. 

There's Enduring Dance. Also Dance of Death gives you a wound and ACC bonus immediately after activating it. I always take it. It doesn't get removed by self damage or Dot ticks.

Besides that I think Xoti is not as good a Contemplative or SC Monk as a simple hireling or MC would be - simply because her monk subclass is quite bad. And surely she's not broken in any way. 

She's not broken, but to multiclass her was as bad a decision I could make. Same with Serafen. He's not suited to be a barbarian. He's better off firing his blunderbuss and cypher spells from a distance,

yes her multiclass is so bad due to the +1 wound per ability. i'm not sure why obsidian is making that.

i guess the whole reason they are going the dragon age path? IIRC latter dragon age game only allow the MC to be awesome. the other companions will never be as good as the MC. this was different in poe1 where every companion can be powerful (if you know how to build them right).

xoti priest subclass are awful

and doesn't even have eothas spell at pl8 and 9

use a small shield and pistol

monk subclass are good enough

and monk are already ridiculously powerful

What Eothas spell do you mean? Actually she automatically gets the PL09 spell at PL8 automatically if I'm not mistaken. Besides that: her lvl-1-spell is pretty great and scales very nicely with MIG and Power Level. And the rest doesn't differ much from all the other priests.

xoti priest subclass are awful

and doesn't even have eothas spell at pl8 and 9

use a small shield and pistol

monk subclass are good enough

and monk are already ridiculously powerful

Xoti's PL1 priest subclass spell is probably one of the best PL1 spells in the game. Virtually I couldn't care less what other subclass bonus spells she got.

Though I do agree about monk; don't mind the monk subclass penalty so much because it's easy to build a viable monk character that isn't a huge wounds spender.

Edited by thelee

• 3 weeks later...

must be some normal difficulty

on PotD contemplative - she is only "that hardly seems fair" and tons of other complains, with fist/tutolio is bit better, especially against skeletons - but nowhere near good

with ranged she misses almost allways

i dont know what to do with her tbh - seems her best use is to free soul from modwyr (to not listen to "thats the stuff")

2x suppress afflictions 2x blessing, and bunch of subpar heals... i took multi ranger(ghost pet)/druid(lifegiver) adventurer - heals way better, and does second highest dps from party - not sure if xoti's "support" is worth it at all

Besides, if you push her to release souls, she is somewhat bearable personality, but her lantern makes all party resist heals. If you push her to keep souls, her banter - i think i am about to cause her 4 wounds.

I play Xoti contemplative all the time. Wounds to boost Int, or Con, Force of Anguish to push melee attackers back to the front line, Enduring Dance to offset the pistol modal penalty, and a bunch of subpar priest heals and buffs that make most of the challenges in the game (on PotD) a joke. Give her Tuotilo's Palm, Scordeo's Trophy and Humility.

So, to answer the question "Xoti - ranged or melee?" – both, I say.

Edited by Franknstein

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

I play Xoti contemplative all the time. Wounds to boost Int, or Con, Force of Anguish to push melee attackers back to the front line, Enduring Dance to offset the pistol modal penalty, and a bunch of subpar priest heals and buffs that make most of the challenges in the game (on PotD) a joke. Give her Tuotilo's Palm, Scordeo's Trophy and Humility.

Xoti always melee for me. It's also best to turn her evil for the damage bonus? Especially with her lantern. Her sycthe i find it useless though. If not mistaken, she deals better damage unarmed. Alwayse use willbreaker on her. The fort debuff helps Force of Anguish and also her reaper scythe ability. I only use it to interrupt. Her monk subclass suxs as it needs +1 resource. I don't use much of her wound abilites. As a monk there's versatility. But i tend to use her to max intellect for her duration buffs.

Edited by Archaven

Xoti always melee for me. It's also best to turn her evil for the damage bonus? Especially with her lantern. Her sycthe i find it useless though. If not mistaken, she deals better damage unarmed. Alwayse use willbreaker on her. The fort debuff helps Force of Anguish and also her reaper scythe ability. I only use it to interrupt. Her monk subclass suxs as it needs +1 resource. I don't use much of her wound abilites. As a monk there's versatility. But i tend to use her to max intellect for her duration buffs.

single-class monks will virtually always deal more damage unarmed than with weapons. I do keep her scythe around for PEN issues (though most of the time i just steal it for one of my other characters).

personally in terms of upgrade, i think there's a lot to be said for a relatively rare, multiplicative spell resist bonus instead of a tiny damage bonus that gets additively combined with the bajillions of other damage bonuses you get by end game.

Edited by thelee

As been pointed out by thelee, extra wounds cost ain't a problem if one doesn't use a lot of wound spending abilities in the first place. =)

And I like my buffer-healers to be safe and able to reach everybody in the party. Which is hard for me to achieve from the front-row.

But this sexy notion of a monk spamming Force of Anguish, and later Skyward Kick, while armed with the Willbreaker tickles my restartitis all to hard. Something like Shattered Pillar/Corpse-Eater m.b.? Hm-m... 

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

So far I've gone melee with her every time. I even gave her the soul bound dagger one time so when she was done buffing and started nuking I got a couple double casts. typically the fights don't last long enough to worry.

I would stay away from bows on her because I wouldn't want to run into long recovery when needing a clinch heal or BDD.