I started a new game to check Hylea's challenge and here are some interesting things:

vela1.png

- Vela is not on the deck during the first fight (against Benweth's crew)

- She joins when you are free to move on the beach

- You can't control her (to move her away or reposition her during combat) and she doesn't show up in the formation editor

- She will follow the Watcher but she alternates between brief moments of moving and standing still (you can keep her far from combat by moving the Watcher)

- She enters stealth mode when the Watcher does, but I'm not sure if she has a stealth skill level that is checked when enemies are nearby

- You can't talk or interact with her, but she speak sometimes, including what I believe is a new line for her (about being safe with the captain)

- She moves by herself even when you are standing still

- When combat begins she crouches and feels afraid (see picture below), but I've also seen her simply walking as if nothing was happening, just beside an enemy! (see the other picture)

- Playing with Skaen's Challenge is not recommended ;(

- She seems to have 20 HP (on Veteran) and negative defenses (see picture at the end). You can heal and affect her with chants. I didn't test buff or debuffs

vela2.pngvela4.png

So, what are your strategies and experiences when bringing her along? :cat:

vela3.png

Note: I didn't play much, so I'll correct anything that I got wrong later.

Edit: one of the first enemies got an overpenetration after she bravely walked past me and Eder. Imagine high level enemies!

vela5.jpg

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 2

sign.jpg

Seems pretty irresponsible as a parent to let her tag along:)

Otherwise a priest with withdrawal would have their job cut out for them.

TBH if those are her stats, it seems pretty tedious having her around. Better to leave her on the boat....

Edited by rheingold
  • Like 3

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Not sure they have tested this challenge properly.... put another way I’m not sure if it’s actually possible. Some off the later enemies are going to one shot her as she casually walks past them.

At any rate while I do like her character and wish there were more interactions between her and the watcher, this sounds like a particularly masochistic challenge...

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

I couldn't play much, but it all depends on whether she levels up. If she doesn't, even the slightest effect will kill her pretty easily later on.

Imho it would be better if you could equip her with something and maybe have some limited control. If her stats don't improve, even with equipment she will be really vulnerable and it would still be a challenge.

If the random movement in combat is not a bug, this will be a reload fest. I'll report it tomorrow after I test a little more.

It would be good if we could put her in the formation, even if she would walk away sometimes.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Low defenses, low AR and low HP means she will be the no. 1 priority target of almost every enemy - if there isn't some tweak for hostile AI (concerning Vela).

There are other abilites like Withdraw - but so far it seems to be best to make a party of 5 Priests/whatever. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I wouldn't worry too much, she will probably get good positioning and some special treatment like reduced priority or try to hide. Enough to require good attention and be a challenge but not to make of combat a Vela Defense or Save her from Herself game.

Edited by esyvjrt

It would be nice if they would let you control her but limit her movement to the fog of war or something... just making her non-offensive with poor stats and no abilities is quite the challenge on its own; having her walking around the battlefield at random seems both unintentionally funny and way too hard to manage.

• Like 2

Low defenses, low AR and low HP means she will be the no. 1 priority target of almost every enemy - if there isn't some tweak for hostile AI (concerning Vela).

There are other abilites like Withdraw - but so far it seems to be best to make a party of 5 Priests/whatever. :)

5 priest/druids :) 2x withdraws per character, 2x beetle shells per character, plus +1/+1 each per empower.

boy what a zany challenge this is going to be, i feel.

• Like 2

Is there a way to force AI to cast Withdrawal on her at the start of the a fight? 

What if she walks into traps? I bet on ship fights she is gonna be a blunderbuss magnet....

I don't know much about the AI, but if she can trigger traps they are going to be a problem. I'll test later, but I imagine that simply stopping near a trap to disarm it will be enough to put it within Vela's movement range.

Maybe she she stand still when in stealth? Another thing to check.

One way or another you can keep the watcher away and Vela will be safe because she orbits her parent.

sign.jpg

If she hangs around Dad/mom then it looks like you may have to go with a ranged toon.

I think the idea behind it is great but in practice not sure. I reckon to do it properly would take loads of work. For one, I’d like to see some interactions with her. Otherwise I don’t really feel it’s worthwhile. (But that would be waaay to much work for the devs)

Secondly, yeah, withdraw is obvious but it’s going to get old really quickly unless it can be set up via the ai. If not it’s probably not going to fall under my definition of fun... :)

Edited by rheingold
  • Like 1

Lord of Light

Isn't the new ultimate achievement going to include all the God Challenges?

Yes.

The more I think about this the worse it looks. It'll probably stop being fun really fast and just compromise my second pt.

If I really want to have her along, I might as well simply create a hireling with Vela's portrait, dump some stats and have her as a weak member of the party, but one that levels up and I can control.

Edit: included the link for the achievements.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

Since she follows around the PC I usually leave my main in another room in stealth and have the rest of the party in combat. One giant plus is that I can make a stupid PC build because he doesn't engage in combat much. Think they should add an achievement for a player character (not the whole party) going an entire game without a single kill in combat.

• Like 1