UPDATE: v3.1.0 is now available on the Beta Branch

Cdiaz

Question

Hello everyone!

We have just placed our 3.1.0 patch onto the Beta Branches of Steam and GOG. Click here for instructions of how to join the Beta. We are preparing to release this hotfix patch shortly. As always, please let us know if this patch has any unintended affects on your gamestate or if you encounter any new bugs from this patch, here in our beta forums.

Beta Patch notes for v3.1.0.0011

New Features & Updates

• UI Simplification
    • Changes to how some UI displays and the ability to customize some of the UI for in an out of combat to provide a better experience for both. Dropdowns to control the UI can be found within the Options Menu.
  • Hauani O Whe Mega Boss - A new Mega Boss can now be challenged! This colossal Ooze is prepared to face some of the strongest teams that dare brave it!
    • Can be found on an island between Dunnage and Fort Deadlight.

• Spell Shaping
    • Spell shaping is available for the Wizard, Druid, Priest, and Chanter classes! This passive ability allows for spell casters to adjust certain AoE spell radii to increase the power level or area that the spell can reach!
  • Magran's Challenges Difficulty Additions
    • All Challenges can now be done on all difficulties in the game! Play through with new challenges for a new interesting game experience!
  • New Berath's Blessings
    • ...Can I Pet Him Anyway? - Allows for Eder to equip a pet! 
    • Infamous Past - Gain passive stat boosts that help in and out of combat.
    • +3 Intimidate, +5% Damage, Lower level Kith enemies may become Terrified at the beginning of combat.

• Premade Characters
    • Characters can now be imported to use on various playthroughs through Deadfire. Characters can be chosen in character creation, or by visiting taverns and recruiting them as Adventurers.
    • Instructions on how to Import and Export Premade Characters can be found here.
  • Hylea and Rymrgand Challenges - Hylea and Rymrgand Challenges make their way into the Magran's Challenges!
    • Hylea - Vela joins the adventure and must be protected at all costs or the adventure is over! She does not take a party slot and does not attack during combat.
    • Rymrgand - Food now lasts for a small duration before decaying and expiring from use. 
  • Path of the Damned Endgame Tuning
    • Path of the Damned has been reworked to give a better experience for mid and higher level end game content. Can you survive the increased difficulty with your party?

Resolved Issues

• Fixed an issue that prevented timers from being advanced globally.
  • Swapping Party members will spawn them around the Watcher as expected
  • The save button no longer becomes unclickable when attempting to create a save.
  • Quests for Seeker, Slayer, Survivor show the appropriate difficulty level in the Journal.
  • Figurines and items that have charges do not recharge at the end of combat or after rest as intended.
  • Hired Adventurers now start with the correct engagement value that is expected when they are recruited.
  • Sacred Immolation no longer incorrectly gets 20% increased damage from Sworn Enemy.
  • Riposte no longers causes abilites such as Eternal Devotion to deal no damage.
  • Performing a Save/Load cycle near the aura-granting Paladin while on the ship no longer causes said aura to remain on the player indefinitely.
  • Fixed an issue that would cause elements of UI no longer persist or display through loading screens.
  • Character Inspection window has been adjusted to a smaller font from player feedback.
  • Mod load order can be changed without issue.
  • Completing Tasks in Seeker, Slayer, Survivor now awards significantly more experience.
  • The Chanter Bar now correctly changes when the UI changes.
  • Brilliant now restores resources every 6 seconds instead of 3 seconds.
  • Added Vocalization to Call of Rymrgand priest spell.
  • Removed null game data reference from Overbearing Guard.
  • Kalakoth's Sunless Grasp now displays its Frost keyword on its stat block.
  • Kalakoth's Freezing Rake now displays its Frost keyword on its ability stat block.
  • Seven Nights She Waited and The Tears Falling Like Rain now display their Frost keywords on their ability stat block.
  • Thrice Was She Wronged and Her Revenge Swept Across now display their Electricity keyword on their ability stat block.
  • "Raw"  is no longer a linked entry in the Journal.
  • Slog Zone effects are now considered hostile.
      • Players should now be able to complete A Dance With Death on the Aeldys questline.
      • Potions of Plenty now updates properly with the correct quest rewards Bubbling Chalice and Least Unstable Coil.
      • Xoti will no longer hold your hand out of character if the player is not in a relationship with her.
      • Players will no longer get stuck in the SI during the fleet battle on any of their decisions through it.
      • Kua's Head can now be given Ruasare on the Cruel Cargo questline.
      • The Flimsy Bridge SI will no longer display Skillcheck values of 0.
      • Engari's conversation for Artifacts now triggers as expected for all Player choices.
      • Watcher Vision VFX does not end prematurely if Humaire's Spirit is encountered.
      • Survivor's Tusk now levels up correctly, affected players will have to unequip the item for it to change.
      • Pickpocketing Mokeha for Rinco's coinpurse does not remain in the player's inventory when completing the Burning Bridges quest.
      • Companions will now bark before Seeker, Slayer, Survivor arena content.
      • The Watcher will not treated as a companion during SIs in Kazuwari.
      • The Life in Death passive ability is no longer usable during SI checks as intended.
      • Players can no longer Save/Load to avoid Arena fights for Seeker, Slayer, Survivor.
      • The Arena Warden's portrait and character model for Beast of Winter now match. 
      • Muwatu no longer respawns during the Humaire conversation when soul is infused with the Beast's essence.
      • Grave Calling and Hel Beckoning Freeze/Corrode procs now correctly only apply their procs to attacks made with these weapons.
      • The Sea Dragon's damage increased on Hard & PotD difficulties:
        • The Sea Dragon's Health has been increased on PotD difficulty.
        • The Sea Dragon now properly gains 4 concentration when the ward stun ends.
        • The Sea Dragon now casts Summon Ondra's Whips as a Fast Cast rather than Slow.
        • The Sea Dragon's Tidal Wave now applies an Injury on PotD.
        • The Sea Dragon now will re-attempt failed summon casts sooner.
        • The Sea Dragon's Tidal Wave damage increased significantly.
      • The Magma Dragon is now more likely to auto attack: 
        • Fiery Maw now injures on PotD and deals more damage on all difficulties.
        • Tail Swipe is more likely to be used and deals more damage.
      • Fixed an issue where Belranga wouldn't use her screech unless someone was nearby.
      • Dragon Scales no longer hides itself from all UI and will only hide from the combat tooltip.
      • Ukaizo Guardian will no longer have the issue of sometimes progressing through his phases out of order.
      • Veilpiercer and St. Omaku's Mercy base damage now correctly matches a War Bow's expected damage.
      • Three Bells Through and Mechanical Marvel will now fire in a line when their projectile count is adjusted.
      • Kalakoth's Sunless Grasp now displays its Frost keyword on its stat block.

• Like 19

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

No offense, but what are the challenges for, when there are still no achievements for any of them? At least it would net you mor BB points as reward, if nothing else.

the challenges are just to make the game... more... "challenge"-ing

the reason why there are no achievements is because a lot of people (including myself) complained about how some stupidly annoying challenges were also achievements in poe1. some people like to get to 100% achievements collected without having to:

- triple crown solo

- triple crown solo again after the DLC comes out because they added another triple crown solo challenge, but also have to kill all the dragons and bosses

- rest less than 10 times.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 3

No offense, but what are the challenges for, when there are still no achievements for any of them? At least it would net you mor BB points as reward, if nothing else.

the reason why there are no achievements is because a lot of people (including myself) complained about how some stupidly annoying challenges were also achievements in poe1. some people like to get to 100% achievements collected without having to:

- triple crown solo

- triple crown solo again after the DLC comes out because they added another triple crown solo challenge, but also have to kill all the dragons and bosses

Stupidly annoying or just hard? They can implent a achievement for each challenge done. Even if you complete the game with 1 or 2 challenges, you get the achievement(s), you dont have to TCS with it.

- triple crown solo

Stupidly annoying or just hard? They can implent a achievement for each challenge done. Even if you complete the game with 1 or 2 challenges, you get the achievement(s), you dont have to TCS with it.

both. the pacifism achievement was annoying. The Ultimate was hard and tedious.

magran's challenge, for example, is a challenge i never want to play (because I paid hard money to back a real-time-with-pause game, twice, not to play a twitch-click/scripting game). but i'm also a cheevo hunter. so if you made an achievement for magran's challenge i would go insane and have to play it just for the achievement.

and there are plenty of people who are cheevo hunters and who may never want to touch magran's fires at all. i think that's why virtually all the achievements in deadfire are story based or simple things like crafting or finding things.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

Yes! Super excited about the update - just in time to finally finish my entire playthrough (no more starting over!!).  So what does "is being reworked" does that mean in a future patch??:

• Path of the Damned is being reworked to give a better experience for mid and higher level end game content. Can you survive the increased difficulty with your party?
  • Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Just checked. Challenges still disable both mods and Blessings. Very disappointing; hope this is reconsidered.

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yes! Super excited about the update - just in time to finally finish my entire playthrough (no more starting over!!).  So what does "is being reworked" does that mean in a future patch??:

• Path of the Damned is being reworked to give a better experience for mid and higher level end game content. Can you survive the increased difficulty with your party?

Apologies - To clarify this has been reworded to reflect that this is reworked in the beta

• Like 4

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

Nice patch!

I'm really looking forward to the spellshaping feature and hope it is available for most 1.5 m radius spells to make them more competitive with other AoEs.

A small question about PoTD difficulty changes - will they appear in already-in-progress playthrough (at least the unexplored parts of it where changes have been made), or do I have to start a new playthrough for them?

You all are awe

Apologies - To clarify this has been reworded to reflect that this is reworked in the beta

Good to hear and thank you!!!!  and thank you!!!

Edited by aaronghowell

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Just checked. Challenges still disable both mods and Blessings. Very disappointing; hope this is reconsidered.

I understand why it's in place -- someone could write a mod that just let people automatically complete the challenge, etc. -- but it still basically means I'll never play a challenge at all because my playstyle at this point is *entirely* reliant on the expanded AI conditionals mod and playing without it is just a giant chore.

I think the answer is that at some point they need to go through and implement some of the more critical ease-of-use mods into the base game.

GREAT!

- triple crown solo

both. the pacifism achievement was annoying. The Ultimate was hard and tedious.

magran's challenge, for example, is a challenge i never want to play (because I paid hard money to back a real-time-with-pause game, twice, not to play a twitch-click/scripting game). but i'm also a cheevo hunter. so if you made an achievement for magran's challenge i would go insane and have to play it just for the achievement.

and there are plenty of people who are cheevo hunters and who may never want to touch magran's fires at all. i think that's why virtually all the achievements in deadfire are story based or simple things like crafting or finding things.

It's allready mentionend in a thread, that there are such achievements in the future:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102955-probable-upcoming-magrans-fires-challenges-game-data-dive/?hl=crown

I understand why it's in place -- someone could write a mod that just let people automatically complete the challenge, etc.

And what if they did? No big deal. More power to them if that's how they like to play.

Only reason I can see is achievements, and I'd rather be locked out of achievements than to be locked out of options. I'd never play without the mods I like, nor would I play without Blessings—but I'd love to have Galawain's challenge on all the time.

• Like 6

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I second AndreaColombo. Unless Obsidian want to have access to accurate statistics of challange completion really badly, I really don’t see the point. Even if the datamined achievements were I implimented in the future, and even if making challenges moddable/with Berath’s blessings would mean that some people would use mods to 100% their achievement page... so what? Surely, a bigger flexibility in customizing your gaming experience is worth more than accurate achievements.

• Like 5

Only reason I can see is achievements, and I'd rather be locked out of achievements than to be locked out of options. I'd never play without the mods I like, nor would I play without Blessings—but I'd love to have Galawain's challenge on all the time.

I don't care about achievements. I would be interested if I could get all of them in a game, but that never happens. There is always something absurdly difficult that removes all the fun of it or requires you to retry a few dozen times (and I don't have the time to do it). For example: "finish the game in 2 minutes" or "Holy Crown Solo", so I don't bother.

Berath's Blessings and mods are an entirely different thing though. They can make the game much more interesting and add a lot of replay value. And so can the Challenges. But if I have to choose, I'll go with BBs and mods.

• Like 2

sign.jpg

The new megaboss is a biatch, guys. It has a Corrosive Solvent attack that clears your buffs on top of dealing a boatload of damage, so good luck trying to keep them up with Salvation of Time—nothing to keep up once Corrosive Solvent removes them. It also deals a lot of damage with its regular attacks, and it attacks rather fast. Holy heck it is one tough son of a biatch XD

• Like 4

The new megaboss is a biatch, guys. It has a Corrosive Solvent attack that clears your buffs on top of dealing a boatload of damage, so good luck trying to keep them up with Salvation of Time—nothing to keep up once Corrosive Solvent removes them. It also deals a lot of damage with its regular attacks, and it attacks rather fast. Holy heck it is one tough son of a biatch XD

Is that a DoT attack or does he just clear the buffs and then you can buff again?

No DoT. You can buff again afterward but either it expires or the boss clears your buffs again.

- triple crown solo

Sorry to say but I completely disagree with this. I mean, they are called achievements. Google says: "achievement: a thing done successfully with effort, skill, or courage". Games these days hand achievements for starting the game for the first time, getting the first companion or something equally trivial. Why are these even in the game when they're essentially participation awards?

I just cannot understand people who want to have 100% completion just handed to them for the sake of it without any semblance of challenge. Achieving TCS and The Ultimate were one of my fondest memories of Pillars 1. I guess I have you (and other like minded people) to blame for denying me that sense of awe in this game.

- triple crown solo

Sorry to say but I completely disagree with this. I mean, they are called achievements. Google says: "achievement: a thing done successfully with effort, skill, or courage". Games these days hand achievements for starting the game for the first time, getting the first companion or something equally trivial. Why are these even in the game when they're essentially participation awards?

I just cannot understand people who want to have 100% completion just handed to them for the sake of it without any semblance of challenge. Achieving TCS and The Ultimate were one of my fondest memories of Pillars 1. I guess I have you (and other like minded people) to blame for denying me that sense of awe in this game.

There's a difference between wanting 100% completion "handed" to you and not wanting triple crown solo to be a mandatory requirement. Setting the absurdity of needing a game to tell us that we've achieved something aside, TCS is above and beyond (both in difficulty, time investment, and - for many - lack of fun factor) what is normally required to reach 100% completion in most games. 

You can still achieve TCS; lots of people do. The game just won't give you a high five for it anymore.

Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 2