I have been running without any Priest the last few runs, and I do not miss much except Barring Death's Door. This is arguably the ultimate "oh, ****" button in the game, and I have no way to replicate it now outside of taking a Priest - though I recall there was a scroll or a potion for it in PoE 1. But in PoE 2, I've found nothing of the kind. I know that the Shieldbearer Paladin gives a similar effect as an addition effect to Lay on Hands, but the duration of that is like a third of what I get with BDD. In fact, with decent Intelligence, I was getting 20-plus seconds on BDD.

So where I am going to get anything remotely similar? Withdraw scroll or the Refuge potion don't cut it, as they literally knock out out of the fight and render you useless.

I have been running without any Priest the last few runs, and I do not miss much except Barring Death's Door. This is arguably the ultimate "oh, ****" button in the game, and I have no way to replicate it now outside of taking a Priest - though I recall there was a scroll or a potion for it in PoE 1. But in PoE 2, I've found nothing of the kind. I know that the Shieldbearer Paladin gives a similar effect as an addition effect to Lay on Hands, but the duration of that is like a third of what I get with BDD. In fact, with decent Intelligence, I was getting 20-plus seconds on BDD.

So where I am going to get anything remotely similar? Withdraw scroll or the Refuge potion don't cut it, as they literally knock out out of the fight and render you useless.

There's Potion of the Last Stand which is actually a better effect than Barring Death's Door (also gives you concentration and +25% damage buff), but has a shorter base duration (though with theoretically much better scaling than BDD).

Nemnok's Cloak also triggers BDD at near death.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

There's Potion of the Last Stand which is actually a better effect than Barring Death's Door (also gives you concentration and +25% damage buff), but has a shorter base duration (though with theoretically much better scaling than BDD).

Nemnok's Cloak also triggers BDD at near death.

Really? I never noticed the Last Stand potion; let me look it up. (Can't look up in-game since no saved games.)

I know about Nemnok's Cloak; but it's only one copy! ;) Damn, I wish we had the Helwax mold again - and other really high-powered crafting materials.

only major downside with that potion is without at least a modest alchemy skill (or salvation of time) the base duration barely lets you recover from using the potion much less do anything else :/ (less of a problem if you have party members to heal you while you recover or something)

• Like 1

only major downside with that potion is without at least a modest alchemy skill (or salvation of time) the base duration barely lets you recover from using the potion much less do anything else :/ (less of a problem if you have party members to heal you while you recover or something)

Ironic - so the potion that lets me go without a Priest works best with a Priest! ;)

How much Alchemy are we talking about here to make this thing work independent of a Priest? ;)

How much Alchemy are we talking about here to make this thing work independent of a Priest? ;)

The duration of the potion scales only with your alchemy skill and has 6s base duration - it will last 12s with 20 alchemy I think. The spell has 8s duration and scales both with intellect and PL.

• Like 1

Also Salvation of Time is kind of weird for me. When I use it for the first time in an encounter it will give me ~20 sec. The second time it will give me the time it states in the tooltip.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The duration of the potion scales only with your alchemy skill and has 6s base duration - it will last 12s with 20 alchemy I think. The spell has 8s duration and scales both with intellect and PL.

That is pretty terrible. So it's closer to Shieldbearer's Lay on Hand than BDD.

Also Salvation of Time is kind of weird for me. When I use it for the first time in an encounter it will give me ~20 sec. The second time it will give me the time it states in the tooltip.

Yeah i reported this as a buggy thing in 1.1, and they said they'd look into it, but i think it's just been an extremely low priority thing to investigate.

worst case scenario: they nerf it so it only +10s every single time, which I think is too weak for Deadfire's slower combat. best case scenario: it always buffs by 20s. scenario i'd be happy with: they split the difference and go for +15s.

active skills also scale with PL. essentially means even with the low base duration the potion can potentially get you a long duration...if you invest heavily into alchemy. at ~23 alchemy and a bonus PL or two (potion of ascension, acute, or food) you get 18s, whereas you'd need to max out intellect (or get close and have a bonus PL) to do the same thing with BDD. One of those is easier than the other.

edit: IGNORE ME I really messed up some simple math.

Edited by thelee