Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen" Now on Kickstarter

D&D kickstarter turn-based crpg

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10993 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I never feel like a fantasy RPG is complete until they start showing off classes and races that are beyond the standard array. I'm going to say World of Warcraft and Neverwinter Nights 2 made me this way.

Like D&D is shipping with Warlocks, Dragonborn, Tieflings, and Assimar now. Pillars had Godlike and Ciphers. Diablo loves its Necromancers, though how 3 got away saving it for a DLC I'll never know.

I need something!

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2243 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

EDIT: From what I've read it seems that the game won't have story companions. That's a dealbreaker for me in a game with a group, I do NOT want create a full party or recruit random sidekicks without dialogue or personalities. **** you Icewind Dale.

You didn't read the FAQ on the Kickstarter, did you? 

You can decide whether to create the whole party from scratch or to recruit some pre-existing NPCs. It's up to you.

The maximum party size is 6 characters and you can mix and match as you like: create just one character of your own and recruit the rest, create 3 and recruit 3, create 5 and recruit one...

Party creation and composition is entirely in the hands of the player.

Edited by Messier-31, 18 October 2018 - 10:59 PM.

• daveyd likes this

daveyd

daveyd

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I never feel like a fantasy RPG is complete until they start showing off classes and races that are beyond the standard array. I'm going to say World of Warcraft and Neverwinter Nights 2 made me this way.

Like D&D is shipping with Warlocks, Dragonborn, Tieflings, and Assimar now. Pillars had Godlike and Ciphers. Diablo loves its Necromancers, though how 3 got away saving it for a DLC I'll never know.

I need something!

I don't know about additional playable races, but they have said there's probably going to be more classes either as stretch goals or barring that possibly adding them in a DLC / expansion at some point.  Bards, Monks, Psions are among those that have been hinted at.   They've also confirmed there's definitely going to be prestige classes (e.g., Arcane Archer, Eldritch Knight, etc.).   They said they want to devote a good amount of time to each class they implement (so for instance if they add monks, they'll have high quality martial arts animations rather than just using a generic punch).  

And while I'd agree that more options would be very desirable, one must take into consideration that the budget of this game is (so far) looking to be considerably less than the likes of Pillars, NWN or Diablo for that matter.   I guess how much they can add will depend on how well the KS does and I'd love to see this blow up and hit ~$1 million but that seems unlikely given most gaming news sites are completely ignoring this KS and the increased skepticism / cynicism regarding crowdfunding among the gaming community.   

Edited by daveyd, 19 October 2018 - 02:54 AM.

• rjshae likes this

daveyd

daveyd

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

EDIT: From what I've read it seems that the game won't have story companions. That's a dealbreaker for me in a game with a group, I do NOT want create a full party or recruit random sidekicks without dialogue or personalities. **** you Icewind Dale.

You didn't read the FAQ on the Kickstarter, did you? 

You can decide whether to create the whole party from scratch or to recruit some pre-existing NPCs. It's up to you.

The maximum party size is 6 characters and you can mix and match as you like: create just one character of your own and recruit the rest, create 3 and recruit 3, create 5 and recruit one...

Party creation and composition is entirely in the hands of the player.

I also recall reading in the RPGWatch Gamescom preview that all characters will have personality traits such as greedy, lazy, sneaky, open-minded, which may affect how they interact with NPCs, so even the characters you create from scratch will have some personality.  For example "The way this works in the game is that if you have a greedy character and you let that character barter with a merchant, it will probably not be a success, as the greedy character will not part from money or items easily and it is very unlikely that they will come to an agreement. So perhaps a greedy person is not the best person to barter with a merchant.",

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5069 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I need something!

I don't know about additional playable races, but they have said there's probably going to be more classes either as stretch goals or barring that possibly adding them in a DLC / expansion at some point.  Bards, Monks, Psions are among those that have been hinted at.   They've also confirmed there's definitely going to be prestige classes (e.g., Arcane Archer, Eldritch Knight, etc.).   They said they want to devote a good amount of time to each class they implement (so for instance if they add monks, they'll have high quality martial arts animations rather than just using a generic punch).

The original Pool of Radiance gold box game had only six races and four classes. It's better not to overpromise and just ship an enjoyable, polished game. Hence, I won't mind if this game only has the current class/race mix -- they can save an expansion for the sequel. But we'll see.

• kanisatha and daveyd like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5568 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I just got this reply from a Ceres Games dev on exploration and level scaling in their game, and it was a fantastic answer:

"We don't have any level scaling planned, everything is hand-placed in our game. Of course, there will be a natural progression based on region - the quests in Sabag-Hirar will be overall a little more difficult since it's the last region you're likely to visit, compared to the quests in Cormac which is the region you're starting in. But we don't want to have a world where just due to the order in which you visit the regions, the monsters are weaker or stronger: closer to civilization, you will find less dangerous areas, while deep in the wilderness you will find more dangerous areas. There will be high level dungeons in Cormac, too - the kind of dungeon you remember as being too hard to attempt now, and will return to tackle after you've gained a couple of levels elsewhere.

What the freedom of our structure allows for is that the player can tackle a questline that is above his level range if he wants to. It's going to be a lot more challenging, but you can attempt it anyway. The Wildlands is one of the most dangerous areas of the game, for example, and its main questline involves plenty of hard battles. Attempting it at low levels would be suicide, but if you really want to you can travel there right away after starting the game.

It's kinda like in Morrowind and its expansions: the Bloodmoon expansion adds a whole new island filled with high level enemies, but the player can go there at any point of the game, even at level 1. He's unlikely to survive, but the option is there. In Fallout 1, there are only three things a player has to do: get the water chip, destroy the military base, confront the Master. It's almost impossible to do only these main quests without doing any of the sidequests, because that will leave you severely underleveled, but if you want to go for a speedrun you can try it.

This is the kind of structurally open non-linearity we want to go for. Instead of rigidly forcing the player to do things in a certain order, we allow the player to jump around and tackle the major questlines in the order he sees fit.

It will be a lot of work for us to balance it properly, but we won't implement any kind of level scaling. That's completely out of the question since it ruins the integrity of the game world and kills some of the fun of exploring and leveling up."

• Mamoulian War, BruceVC, rjshae and 4 others like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5568 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

C'mon folks! Let's get lots of beer mugs! Spread the word!!

1ea48c79c3d17040c2bdedda9027d91d_origina

Twitter  Facebook - Read more information about the social goals in the related update here

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5069 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

"Micro" update #3 announced the first stretch goal as a world map by an artist named Francesca Baerald:

https://www.kickstar...n/posts/2323380

I checked out her web site and she's produced some pretty authentic-looking medieval maps for fantasy settings:

http://www.francescabaerald.com/maps/

• IndiraLightfoot and InsaneCommander like this

Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Steam:Dark_Ansem
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just backed: it's absolutely brilliant!

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

How so? It's just another D&D game. Nothing really special about it. I'll back it but only if they add the things I requested earlier. But, brilliant' is noi fitting.

Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

How so? It's just another D&D game. Nothing really special about it. I'll back it but only if they add the things I requested earlier. But, brilliant' is noi fitting.

And what is that you requested?

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Teleport. (and spells like it).

Subraces.

Those are the main ones.

• ShadySands likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5069 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

https://www.kickstar...n/posts/2325048

The rendered areas are top notch quality-wise. I wonder where they got all their assets?

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Definitely worth backing imo. :)

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1327 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
No dongs in the baths, literally unplayable.
  • InsaneCommander likes this

Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Subraces.

Those are the main ones.

Because they just have to be at launch, they can't be added at a later date ofc.

Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Subraces.

Those are the main ones.

And of course, now they confirmed that they will be either in-game or possibilities for modders. Whoops.

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2373 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

possibilities for modders

'Possibility for modders' isn't really saying much. I mean, piloting a flying saucer is a possibility for modders in Skyrim.

Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

possibilities for modders

'Possibility for modders' isn't really saying much. I mean, piloting a flying saucer is a possibility for modders in Skyrim.

Thing is, in Skyrim it happened. Not a flying saucer, but a Dwemer airship. In Pillars of Eternity, nope.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"Because they just have to be at launch, they can't be added at a later date ofc."

At a later ate doesn't count. Modders don't count. They have to be in the game at start. PERIOD. Have they confirmed them as being in the game at launch? If not, no dice.

DO. NOT. TELL. ME. HOW. TO. SPEND. MY. MONEY.

Shaming or browbeating will not work.

EVER.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: D&D, kickstarter, turn-based, crpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users