The Political Thread - Hobbes Edition

Amentep

So much for the "blue wave" I've been hearing so much, ended up being more of a blue pudde. Man ahould not put their faith and hopes into such myths as politics.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Or as I put it elsewhere, much less of a blue wave and more of a muddled mess. The Democrats made significant gains and made close races out of ones that never should have gotten that close, no doubt about that, but the Republicans made some gains as well.

Maybe blue tide would be more appropriate? Would be an accurate description of the general upwelling.

Yes, I suppose it is easy to be accepting of immigration when there aren't many immigrants around. Doesn't really justify prejudice though.

Actually I think the reverse is more the case; the places in the US with the greatest backlash against immigration tend to be the ones with the least exposure to immigrants, whereas suburban and even rural places like Erie, PA that have taken them into the fold come around to them. Perhaps the "white male deaths of despair" would not be so prevalent a phenomenon if those disaffected populations learned the joys of shawarma, pho, and tacos de pescado.

This has been my experience

The election went almost exactly as expected. The Democrats took the house and the Republicans picked up a few seats in the Senate. In my mind this was the best outcome as well as I feel like they'll have a better 2020 with a split Congress than they would if they controlled both chambers.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Before the Nazis took it, it was an American flag-salute as America was modeled off the Roman Republic.

For real? Never heard that one. Still I can see abandoning historical symbols because they have been appropriated by folks I'd rather not be associated with

220px-Battle_flag_of_the_Confederate_Sta

That one wasn't appropriated, though. It always symbolized what it symbolizes today.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

So much for the "blue wave" I've been hearing so much, ended up being more of a blue pudde. Man ahould not put their faith and hopes into such myths as politics.

Considering that republicans are celebrating couple close victories in deep red states and they lost control over house and government in many states, it is quite big loss considering how they tell how they have only making winning policies, bringing lots and lots of jobs and giving tax breaks to everybody and fixed health care and prevented immigrants invading USA and generally done more than any government before them they seem to have lost quite lot people trust towards them. 

Before the Nazis took it, it was an American flag-salute as America was modeled off the Roman Republic.

For real? Never heard that one. Still I can see abandoning historical symbols because they have been appropriated by folks I'd rather not be associated with

That one wasn't appropriated, though. It always symbolized what it symbolizes today.

Obligatory:

1940s-boxtop-swastika-drug-company_1_f10

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

If you have ever read a single word I have written here on that subject you would realize how wrong that notion is. 

johnny_reb_historical_photo.png    IS NOT EQUAL TO   kkk-transparent-rebel-flag-2.gif

The one on the left fought in a war he didn't start under that flag. Which by the way was not the flag of the country that started the war over their "peculiar institution". The one on the right wants to start a war because he never bothered to read a history book about the flags they wave around. Or maybe they did. That would be even worse. 

Of course a guy wearing the uniform on the left started the thing on the right so there is that. 

As far as whether they have been appropriated I'll let Robert E Lee speak for himself on the subject of what should be done with his flag:

"I think it wisest not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the example of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered."

He wrote that in a letter in 1865. Sounds like good advice for someone who wanted to honor historical figures. Follow their wishes. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If you have ever read a single word I have written here on that subject you would realize how wrong that notion is. 

johnny_reb_historical_photo.png    IS NOT EQUAL TO   kkk-transparent-rebel-flag-2.gif

The one on the left fought in a war he didn't start under that flag. Which by the way was not the flag of the country that started the war over their "peculiar institution". The one on the right wants to start a war because he never bothered to read a history book about the flags they wave around. Or maybe they did. That would be even worse. 

Of course a guy wearing the uniform on the left started the thing on the right so there is that. 

As far as whether they have been appropriated I'll let Robert E Lee speak for himself on the subject of what should be done with his flag:

"I think it wisest not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the example of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered."

He wrote that in a letter in 1865. Sounds like good advice for someone who wanted to honor historical figures. Follow their wishes.

It was originally the flag of the army fighting a war for the right to own slaves. It was later, during that same war, used as a component of the flag flown by the confederate states, in a design explicitly created to represent the confederacy and its belief in slavery and white supremacy.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I drove behind a car with a swastika on today. Always nice to see the Jain community representing.

I thought the Roman salute was with a closed fist? Then again, Hollywood probably modified it for understandable reasons.

IIRC nobody is quite sure what the original/ ancient Roman Salute looked like since the Romans never described it- but it was probably open rather than closed fist due to the threatening connotations of the closed fist.

Or as I put it elsewhere, much less of a blue wave and more of a muddled mess. The Democrats made significant gains and made close races out of ones that never should have gotten that close, no doubt about that, but the Republicans made some gains as well.

Maybe blue tide would be more appropriate? Would be an accurate description of the general upwelling.

" A blue wave that was stopped by a red wall in the Senate "  ?

But the Democrats have benefited immensely by there control of the house and women candidates have done exceptionally well so the results were also a victory for gender  equality 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/women-politics-records_us_5b9a667ce4b041978dc0a969

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/us/elections/women-elected-midterm-elections.html

Guys here is another  good read around the success we have seen around women winning positions in the 2018 midterms 

I also see that 49% of all registered voters turned out for these elections, this is ostensibly a very good number  but what about the other 50 % of registered voters, I am surprised they didn't vote ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dead brothel owner and reality tv star wins Nevada assembly seat

A man who died last month won a heavily GOP state legislative district.

Apparently, the people there preferred to vote for a dead guy rather than a democrat....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

which was fascist

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Well, they did use the fasces, I imagine. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dead brothel owner and reality tv star wins Nevada assembly seat

A man who died last month won a heavily GOP state legislative district.

Apparently, the people there preferred to vote for a dead guy rather than a democrat....

Might have been good for his campaign, actually. Since they appoint another Republican to take his place, voters who might have an objection to him personally were probably more comfortable sticking with the Republican ticket.

Another lesson that might be learned from that is that a candidate’s presence on the campaign trail only hurts their chances of it being elected to office LOL. After all every time they open their mouth there’s an increased chance something stupid will come out. Just a thought LOL.

In other news I started to write a rather long winded response too Pidesco. Then I realized it sounded a lot like conversations had before. I think after 15 years I finally reached the point where the repetition of political discussions has become tedious. I think a lot of you guys got there along time ago. So I guess I’m just late to the party LOL

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Another lesson that might be learned from that is that a candidate’s presence on the campaign trail only hurts their chances of it being elected to office LOL. After all every time they open their mouth there’s an increased chance something stupid will come out. Just a thought LOL.

In other news I started to write a rather long winded response too Pidesco. Then I realized it sounded a lot like conversations had before. I think after 15 years I finally reached the point where the repetition of political discussions has become tedious. I think a lot of you guys got there along time ago. So I guess I’m just late to the party LOL

GD I can understand a sense of exasperation because you feel you repeat certain  points but on a  forum like this occasional  repetition is useful as it reminds us of the views, particularly anecdotal, of normal citizens in countries like the USA

I have gained several new insights and changed certain political views I had because of the views of members like you, for example my entire view on  Gun Control in the USA  changed after understanding your overall argument and why you objected to the Federal government trying to force people to comply

So dont think posts you make are a waste based on the general sentiment that its been  repeated before because people still find value from most comments members make  :geek:

John Milton 

Is that Siri transcribing actual laughter as "LOL" or did Volourn hijack GD's account?

Sloppy editing actually. There was only supposed to be one LOL at the end. This iPhone makes everything harder. Plus I hate how it finishes what I am typing, wrongly!

FACT!

Thomas Sowell

Is that Siri transcribing actual laughter as "LOL" or did Volourn hijack GD's account?

Sloppy editing actually. There was only supposed to be one LOL at the end. This iPhone makes everything harder. Plus I hate how it finishes what I am typing, wrongly!

FACT!

Man, seriously, you're having the internet version of a stroke. Get yourself checked out. :p

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

FACT!

Man, seriously, you're having the internet version of a stroke. Get yourself checked out. :p

:lol:  No kidding. I guess I'm old fashioned. The iPhone can do what my laptop can mostly but not in my hands is seems. 

Thomas Sowell

apparentely there is some kind of outrage over this xD:

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"