The Political Thread - Hobbes Edition

Amentep

Down in Florida: Broward County uploads recount results two minutes past deadline, invalidating results. Apparently, they had trouble with malfunctioning machines and figuring out how to use their own website. Apparently it changed the result by a few thousand or something. Whoever's in charge down there needs to be fired so badly - some Democrat lady named Snipes something or another, I think, as this is not the first time Broward has been absolute garbage for Florida elections.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

They couldn't figure out how to use their own website? *facepalm* I can't tell whether that is either incompetence in web designing (Gov sites, go figure), incompetence on the part of the people, or perhaps even both.

And yeah, one wonders why she (and possibly the whole staff if it's a deeper problem) hasn't been fired already.

Anyone ever read the myth of Sisyphus ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's dumb but now I'm angry and I may not come back to the forums ever...

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

There is a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over the Senate elections. The fact that small states receive equal representation with large ones.  The problem is (IMO) rooted in the misunderstanding of what the Senate is supposed to be. Prior to 1918 & the 17th Amendment Senators were elected by the State Legislatures. The 17th AMDT changed that to a popular election of the state voters. This has damaged the power of the House of Representatives and destroyed the roles of the State governments. Federalism is not quite dead yet (a few more "unified" governments may make it so)  but when it does die you can point to the role the 17th amendment played as pivotal. The House is designed to be the representative of "the people". The Senate the representatives of "the states" because we are a union of states. Once that changed the House became the minor league and the Senate became... well... a mess. It's a circus now with more than a few clowns in it. It is supposed to be a moderating force to counter the passions of the House. It's just another political s--t show. The 17th Amendment was a mistake. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Basically the US doesn't seem to want to make up its mind. Are you guys a nation a or a federation of nations? If you picked one things would be simpler.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Basically the US doesn't seem to want to make up its mind. Are you guys a nation a or a federation of nations? If you picked one things would be simpler.

:lol:  Amen!

Actually it's designed to be a nation more than a federation but the state governments were supposed to have a lot more influence than they do now. That has been lost and it's led to states like TN & CA having people in elected office who have no business being in charge of anything. People tend not to pay attention to their state governments these days because so much of their power has been lost to the Leviathan-on-the-Potomac. There is a lot of rank stupidity coming from State Capitals that bleeds into national politics because state politicians sooner or later run for national office. Once the camel gets his nose under the tent, he's coming in. If State governments were still what they needed to be this might not have happened. Or maybe it would. Who knows. Everything becomes a parody if itself sooner or later. 

Thomas Sowell

Full understanding? Doubt it. But we understand well enough and then reject the conclusions that understanding leads to.

"We" (humans) need to get to the point where LGBT does not need to be a movement that feels the need to justify or defend itself. Rather LGBT should be nothing more than people living their lives in such a way that brings them the most comfort and happiness. But as long as it is conflated with truly deviant behavior like pedophilia then they DO need to defend themselves. Pedophilia is rape plain and simple since a child does not have the wherewithal to consent or resist manipulation by an adult. Rape is rape no matter the target or perpetrator. However is IS more egregious in children because they cannot fight back and will have a harder time understanding that they have been wronged. Classifying that as being part of the lives of consenting adults living their lives is a cynical means of denigrating people you personally dislike and hopefully turn other like minded people against them. But why? 

The thing is, being gay or trans is not the real issue. That might be what certain people object to from the standpoint of their moral code but that is not the "root cause" of the problem. The thing that really offends is being happy. Whether that is marrying a consenting same sex partner that loves you, wearing whatever clothes you feel best in, or reading a bible or saying a quiet prayer in a classroom. What offends people the most is happiness in their fellow humans especially when achieved by means that does not make them happy. I don't smoke, it's bad for you. Therefore no one should be allowed to smoke. I believe homosexuality is a sin therefore no one is allowed to be openly homosexual. That kind of thing. What people fail to understand is that morality and beliefs are a individual thing. Imposing them on others is collectivism and is often championed by the very people who say they oppose collectivism. 

Living your life in the way that suits you best, and harming no one in the process is the ultimate act of rebellion. Because nowhere where humans hold dominion does that not piss someone off. No matter what you are doing. Once we get over being pissed off by things that are none of our business (or at least not acting on that feeling) then we'll be taking a leap forward. I'm hopeful but not holding my breath. 

• Like 5

Thomas Sowell

Living your life in the way that suits you best, and harming no one in the process is the ultimate act of rebellion.. 

Time to wear socks with sandals and cargo shorts while blasting 'Fight the Power'

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Michael Avenatti the White Knight and Protector of women has been arrested on domestic violence charges.

Believe all women. We believe survivors.

Will the same rules apply as for judge Kavanaugh?

Would be good for Avenatti if the same rules applied, as that would mean he has a fancy new job waiting for him after a half-assed investigation.

So. You support him in the presidential race? You want women beater in WH? Great standards you have.

Not sure how you got that from my post. I don't support or care about Avenatti.

"Living your life in the way that suits you best, and harming no one in the process is the ultimate act of rebellion."

peace is a lie, there is only passion

through passion i gain strength

through strength i gain power

through power i gain victory

through victory my chains are broken

the force will free me

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

God created this thread to test the faithful.

• Like 1

Never thought of you to be the religious type :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Never thought of you to be the religious type :)

Yes, but in this context you are the sand.