The Political Thread - Hobbes Edition

Amentep

Food quality controls are quite common, I know it sounds harsh but I am behinde gov this time Guard Doggy

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Next you'll be claiming that one should have a license when having family over for dinner. Afterall, safety first, wouldn't want to poison the family. LMFAO

Yet the same people who do that want to also force supermarkets to give away past the date food to the homeless. LMAO not good enough to sell but good enough to give the homeless. L0LZ

But, hey, Nazis will Nazi. It what they do.

The gov't does a good job poisoning people on their own. I guess they want to keep their monopoly on that.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's curious that none of you draw any distinctions between a group of volunteers home cooking soup & chili & sandwiches that they give away for free & a unlicensed business selling food to the public. But, OK. The thing the state is looking at is the license? Why? Because it must be PAID for. Yes kiddies it's true all they really care about is the money they get for their blessing. Sure health inspectors go around, but not everywhere and not even all the time. A quick web search reveals that fewer that .04% of public restaurants in the US receive an unannounced inspection.... ever. And according to Web MD as of 2014 there were over 24K reported cases of food poisoning from meals served in licensed public restaurants in the USA the previous 10 years. The key word being reported. Other than food you grew/raised, harvested/slaughtered, & cooked yourself you are relying on the care and quality control of other people and their self interest in maintaining their business every time you take a bite of anything. To quote Adam Smith "It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest" If they make you sick you even sell you a shoddy meal not only will you not be back but everyone you tell. AND there is the prospect of criminal charges or lawsuits. All fine & good IMO. And anyway, caveat emptor buddy. If you don't think they care about your food you've never run a business before.

Now it comes as NO surprise to me that Alumin seems to think that the food MUST be tainted. After all if it has not been blessed by the high priest of the church of the State (PBUH) it has to be poisoned. I find no end of amusement that those of you how harbor a healthy dislike of religion so freely place unconditional faith in something far less reliable, far more ephemeral, and far less deserving: a collection of hacks and bureaucrats who know dangerously little about the things they think they should control. I ought to know. I'm one of them! 

:lol:  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What's the ratio of food poisoning from licensed vendors vs unlicensed? That would answer a lot of questions.

I'd be surprised if there's sufficient data to make that comparison because unlicensed vendors are by definition illegal, so it's unlikely that any effort is made at systematic data collection. Food poisoning is also hard to track unless it's mass poisoning, so occurrences are probably underreported.

The argument that this is the city trying to extract money from charity groups doesn't fly, though:

"Those social services that do earn a permit, if they don’t charge fees or pressure for donations, have their permit fee waived, he said."

From the article, it seems to me like this is a homeowners' association being butthurt that bum picnics are being held in their hood, and badgering city authorities to enforce the ordinance. So as usual people are being ****, but for once, it's not mostly just gov't officials.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The best solution is to arm the bums and let them raid the home owner's association.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

They definitely make attempts at systematic data collection if there's a mandatory reporting regime, eg Notifiable diseases Section A of New Zealand:

Acute gastroenteritis
Campylobacteriosis
Cholera
Cryptosporidiosis
Giardiasis
Hepatitis A
Legionellosis
Listeriosis
Meningoencephalitis primary amoebic
Salmonellosis
Shigellosis
Typhoid and paratyphoid fever
Yersiniosis

Of those I'm fairly sure that only Legionella, Meningitis and Plague are (more or less) unrelated to food/ water hygiene. But yeah, it would be very difficult to trace such things without mandatory reporting and for cases where the odd person just has The Runs for a day and don't go to a doctor or where you have very odd symptoms like the family that seemingly got hit by some random nerve toxin after eating wild pork, or where those eating the stuff andor the vendor are transient/ itinerant.

I would have thought that a soup kitchen type setup would be relatively safe though, assuming they were serving the soup hot enough.

The market will choose high quality foods, until the only games in town begin betraying the standards that got them to where they are. Que either regulations or a long slow wait for the economics of scale of the good little guy to catch up to the big bad guy.

This is why food regulations is not nazism sitting between farm and table.

Edited by injurai
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Michael Avenatti the White Knight and Protector of women has been arrested on domestic violence charges.

Believe all women. We believe survivors.

Will the same rules apply as for judge Kavanaugh?

Would be good for Avenatti if the same rules applied, as that would mean he has a fancy new job waiting for him after a half-assed investigation.

• Like 4

And likewise his accuser is just making it up, etc., etc.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"WORKING AS INTENDED! SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

I mean, sure, we dont randomly call for a "redo" every time the wind changes direction, or whatever is the norm over there, so paralysis is the answer!

*nodnod*

Wait... mods can edit posts without having the edit timestamp?!?!?!?

You've been made! Democratize that feature now!

Wait... mods can edit posts without having the edit timestamp?!?!?!?

You've been made! Democratize that feature now!

:yes: Its the single biggest perk for me doing this gig. :lol:

I usually only do it to clean up my point / spelling / grammar / apparently situational dyslexia. I will not do it hide my posts. Those I live and die with those like the rest of us.

• Like 2

I flub spelling and grammar all the damn time. Edit stamps are badges of shame, especially if you clean up grammar after someone already struggled through your point and even gave you a like. Oh the shame!

;(

Edited by injurai

Personally, I did not want to live in a Republican neighborhood of White people with whom I share no interests or values, but my wife talked me into moving there.

That is quite a racist attitude you have there I must say.

Redacted-

Whenever the mighty liberal leftists get too arrogant, somebody has to humble them :p

I'm sorry, that is just too much Alex Jones. If you chose to talk about sensitive subjects, you need some amount of sensitivity. I realise it goes on for pages, but it we're doing a timeout from this discussion now.

~ Gorgon. 

Edited by Gorgon

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I don't support Avenatti for the Supreme Court either

I'm pretty sure Avenatti is nothing more than a political opportunist anyways, and I wouldn't have wanted him for the SC even before them - if these accusations have any merit at all (still waiting to hear any sort of details), I am more than happy to let the man lie in the bed he made.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

<3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken