The Political Thread - Hobbes Edition

Amentep

Personally, I did not want to live in a Republican neighborhood of White people with whom I share no interests or values, but my wife talked me into moving there.

That is quite a racist attitude you have there I must say.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Personally, I did not want to live in a Republican neighborhood of White people with whom I share no interests or values, but my wife talked me into moving there.  

The implication is that he does not want to live around people with whom he shares no interests or values and who also happen to be white, but don't let that stop you from clutching your pearls.

Like, hearing you complain about this when you specifically ****ed off to the arse-end of nowhere to live just so you don't have to be near people with whom you share no interests or values is, shall we say, strange.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

The implication is that he does not want to live around people with whom he shares no interests or values and who also happen to be white, but don't let that stop you from clutching your pearls.

I don't know. Didn't this guy post a huge racist rant about how white women didn't want to date Asian men in the US or some such? I may be misremembering but the font size and fringe opinions kinda stand out.

Your wife **** whipped you into moving to a neighborhood you hate... looks like an object lesson illustrating the old adage "careful what you wish for".

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Like, hearing you complain about this when you specifically ****ed off to the arse-end of nowhere to live just so you don't have to be near people with whom you share no interests or values is, shall we say, strange.

He specifically identified an ethnicity he did not want to live around. To quote Lee Marvin "In this country you don't need to love your neighbor. You can just leave the SOB alone".  If I said I didn't want to live in the city limits because I didn't want to live around a bunch of black democrats would that strike you a more than a bit racist? It sure as hell would. He didn't say Republicans he said WHITE republicans.  It's more than a little racist to presume people of a certain ethnicity are all one political persuasion or another. No matter the skin color they are all people and people make up their own minds for their own reasons. Presuming otherwise is a little racist. If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck then it IS a duck.

And for what it's worth where I live:

• There is no code enforcement. I don't need to get on my knees and beg the city for permission to do work on the home and land I own. And then pay them to give it.
  • 1 acre of land costs less than $10k. In the larger cities nearby a 1/2 acre lot costs $90k - $200k without a house on it. I bought 24.5 acres AND built a house on it for less than the cost of most built 1/2 acre lots in the city limits of Memphis, Millington, Dyersburg, etc. 
  • I can shoot my firearms from my backyard. No fear of endangering someone when there is no one to endanger. Or annoy someone where there is no one to hear it. Ditto for music, etc. All hours of the night even, if I were no inclined. There are no noise ordinances or firearm restrictions here. 
  • No utilities. I don't need to deal with a mandatory connection to a city water source that I have to pay for, and then pay them for the water I use whatever they fell like charging. I have a well. 
  • No crime. No one around means it's highly unlikely I'll ever have to deal with a break in or home invasion. 
  • I can grow vegetables and have livestock on my property. No city government to tell me i can't. 
  • No property taxes. At least not city taxes. My property tax bill for all that land is less than $400 per year. Less than a townhouse in Germantown. 
  • I can run a business, work on vehicles, etc right in my own driveway. No city government or homeowners association to tell me a I can't.

So tell me Alumin, what do you suppose I moved out here to get away from?

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"The implication is that he does not want to live around people with whom he shares no interests or values and who also happen to be white, but don't let that stop you from clutching your pearls."

Then why mention race at all?

Afterall, there is a difference between saying athletes are thugs and  pick a colour athletes are thugs.

Bottom line, he is a racist tool. Just admit it. OWN IT.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Oh, I'm sure 100% of professors and teachers out there are 100% liberal :p

We even get a fancy liberal decoder ring.  :thumbsup:

Numbers is correct, ktchong has a spotty track record when it comes to racial comments.

Do you have a fancy handshake aswell?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Numbers is correct, ktchong has a spotty track record when it comes to racial comments.

Wait, I'm sorry, in what way is "white women don't want to date asian men, as a general rule" a racist statement? 'Cause I thought this was a trend corroborated by dating site statistics.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

If you are really interested in it, I am sure you can look up his comments from years ago and judge for yourself. I mean, I would gladly admit it was a misunderstanding of his tone and intent, but I don't believe he is the type to go into explanations. More of a 'drop in with large font rant and then disappear' type poster.

Again, happy to be wrong. :)

Wait, I'm sorry, in what way is "white women don't want to date asian men, as a general rule" a racist statement? 'Cause I thought this was a trend corroborated by dating site statistics.

Nothing racist about that. IIRC the presentation and "arguments" were nowhere near as fact-focused and level-headed, though. The post should still be around, if you want to dig into his posting history, though I can't in good conscience recommend that.

In any case, as has been pointed out before, if race is irrelevant, bringing it up out seems somewhat out of left field.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I think you are misunderstanding something that  I learnt from the Trump victory, Trump highlighted some real changes that the general global  SJ movement was unintentionally  ignoring or sometimes just willfully dismissing. The point may sound hyperbolic but trust me its axiomatic in nature 

You cannot say "Personally, I did not want to live in a Republican neighborhood of White people with whom I share no interests or values, but my wife talked me into moving there " because he doesn't specify what values he assumes white people have or dont have . He is also unintentionally   generalizing about all white people by that statement due to his studious lack of details

Yes you could argue we cannot assume what he means but I find that type of speculative optics intellectually lacking and utterly unconvincing 

He knows exactly what he means and is insinuating, he has disdain for groups of unnamed and unmeasured Republicans for one reason only...there race

Im not sure I can say its racist but its offensive and  would be seen as unacceptable  publicly in the USA, Trump supporters could easily use this as an example of " racism and offensive rhetoric from the Democrats " 

It helps feed Trump support and  needs to be rejected by those of us who support healthy but robust debate  :geek:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wonder why they didn't have a backup travel plan if rain prevented the helicopter.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You cannot say "Personally, I did not want to live in a Republican neighborhood of White people with whom I share no interests or values, but my wife talked me into moving there " because he doesn't specify what values he assumes white people have or dont have . He is also unintentionally   generalizing about all white people by that statement due to his studious lack of details

Yes you could argue we cannot assume what he means but I find that type of speculative optics intellectually lacking and utterly unconvincing 

He knows exactly what he means and is insinuating, he has disdain for groups of unnamed and unmeasured Republicans for one reason only...there race

I'm sorry but the quote features the following data points:

- he does not want to live in the neighborhood

- people in the neighborhood are white

- people in the neighborhood are Republican

- people in the neighborhood have no shared interests or values with him

- there is a causal relationship between the first statement and some, or possibly all of the following three

Now Occam's Razor would say that it is probably the "no shared interests or values" thing or the "diametrically opposed political affiliation" that is behind this causal relationship, yet you guys are pretending that no, this is 100% about their skin color, that's the sole reason for his distaste.

In and of itself this would not even necessarily be a problem, but somehow cries of "racist!" mysteriously fail to manifest in the thread with the same ferocity when Sharpie or some similarly deep thinker barges in and starts citing statistics about how violent and low IQ black people are "on average" and how this is totally not racist because "facts don't care about your feelings"...

Hah, Sharpie has been accused of racism plenty of times. He might hold the record for being placed on moderated status here. :p

If it is only 10% percent about skin color, does that really make it less racist that he didn't want to live in the OC?

I guess someone should report his post, then.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In and of itself this would not even necessarily be a problem, but somehow cries of "racist!" mysteriously fail to manifest in the thread with the same ferocity when Sharpie or some similarly deep thinker barges in and starts citing statistics about how violent and low IQ black people are "on average" and how this is totally not racist because "facts don't care about your feelings"...

Well. I'm charming and ktchong is obnoxious.

:lol:

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I agree with Bruce. If it was so important to him he specifically brings up ethnicity it tells you all you need to know. Besides, who gives a s--t what your neighbors like any way? How much interaction do you really have with them? A wave and a smile every now and then? As long as they keep their place clean, don't let their dog s--t on your lawn, and generally mind their own business what the hell does he care? It's that they are white and therefore Republicans. Hard to say which he finds more distasteful but since he brought both factors up it seems he hates both. Well if you hate someone for their religion, skin color, or even political persuasion it makes you a very small and petty person. But only one of those makes you a racist and he said it. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Bold large font drive by posting is not what I'd call a member of a community.

Considering this place, I'd say it does

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Hah, Sharpie has been accused of racism plenty of times. He might hold the record for being placed on moderated status here. :p 

But by and large not by the same people who are crying racism now. Which does tell me something about where said posters' priorities lie. 

If it is only 10% percent about skin color, does that really make it less racist that he didn't want to live in the OC?

If I say that only a white person would think of asking a question like this, does that make me racist, or just wrong?

Bold large font drive by posting is not what I'd call a member of a community.

Considering this place, I'd say it does

Here I thought the inner circle where those who discussed, now I realize it's those who broadcast. I truly am on the outside.

• Like 1