The Political Thread - Hobbes Edition

Amentep

I didn't say it should be particularly difficult to get citizenship. But I think "happened to fall out of someone's vagina in the country" is a ridiculously arbitrary way to grant it.

So what do you see as a less arbitrary way? I mean, is that really less arbitrary than where your parents are from?

"Parents are at the very least long-term residents of the country and you're born here" is as good as any, I'd say.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Only to their home countries, apparently. The shambling mound of humanity currently snaking its way to our border is said to be physically carrying hundreds of billions of economic stimulus. :yes:

Hey, every country needs fuel for that underclass engine :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why are these immigrants so racist and hateful? Isn't Amerika a ****hole? Shouldn't they want to live in countries like Mexico? Why do they want to live in a white majority country that is so hateful and racist and evil and nazish? It makes no sense.

Reminds me of the  people who bash Amerika for beinge vil and racist and threaten to leave... For Kanada or Europe. Also, white majority countries/continent. Never hear them yell,"I'm gonna move to Afrika, South America, or the Middle East." LMAO

Kind of like anti wallers who build walls around their  mega complexes and have battles with their neighbours and their counties over it. :p

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Why indeed! They are walking from Honduras to the US, where they have zero possibility of legal entry, only to (possibly) get over the border and find a life of no job or residence. Meanwhile, another country along the path has offered both, only to be refused. Perhaps they have a manifesto to only give their riches to the US? Perhaps they were all just out for a good walkabout? Perhaps none of them consulted their cellular phones to notice the headlines and are completely oblivious to the actions at the US border? Things that make you go, hmmm.

It's pretty clear that Trump is using this whole caravan news, along with the birthright stuff, to generate momentum going into the midterms. Sadly it may work. The idea that we need to build a giant wall across the huge border we share with our neighbor is ridiculous, but it helped him win the election, so why not go to that well again?

http://time.com/5260569/brownsville-border-wall-texas-mexico/

Edited by Hurlshot

Well, for some of the Hondurans, the US is part of the reason they are leaving :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Nah, that's the easiest part to answer. Where would you rather live?"

But, it's racist to call Mexico a ****hole even though travelers and Mexicans call Mexico a ****hole because Mexico is a ****hole. Mexicans know Mexico is a ****hole.  That is why they flee there.

People cry about the US but it says a lot that even when the US has a 'nazi' President like Trump people still flee towards the US.

I certainly doubt many Jews were fleeing INTO Germany during the Nazi regime - espciially when  it became clear what the Nazis were doing.

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Nah, that's the easiest part to answer. Where would you rather live? :p

True dat.

The interweb tells me that we accept ~20000 asylum seekers per year. The migrant convey is estimated anywhere between 7-14k. Its November already so most of the initial 20k are probably used up. If I were one of them I would pick up the pace and try to get to the head of the line. :lol:

As far as I can tell (I read to the second paragraph) US asylum seekers need to meet one of three basic criteria. Living in a s**thole doesn't seem to make the cut. 

Just a thought here. In the past two years Trump has announced hi intention to do some very radical things. Withdrawing all US dependents and non combatants from South Korea ( a sure prelude to imminent war), withdrawing from NAFTA, SALT, NATO, etc. Using EO to change the the 14th Amendment is just the latest. The thing is, he never did any of them. Some, we now realize, he never intended to do (probably). His was "stirring the pot" so to speak. Ultimatums are a negotiation tactic that work only if you believe the ultimatum will be upheld. He has been unpredictable enough that any threat he makes should be taken seriously. But, what if all of it has been just a show? A means to an end? Rather this is gamesmanship to achieve a goal that might not be achieved by asking or persuasion. Just a thought. 

Executive Orders not not usually flaunted. George Bush 2.0 & Obama usually did them quietly and on a Friday hoping it will miss the big news cycle and get lost in the weekend news. Some of the most heinous from either were done that way. Trump tries to hide nothing from my observation. And the worse it sounds the louder he is about it. 

This is all just a supposition on my part. And it is giving Trump a lot of credit he may not deserve. The man is not a fool but he may not be nearly as smart as a tactic like this would require if it IS a tactic. Bluffing is a risky endeavor and you had better be sure your opponent isn't holding Aces full over Kings. I never bothered to read any of his books (which I usually do for Presidents if they wrote one) and I don't know anything about him personally that isn't common knowledge. So like I said this is just a thought I'm throwing out here.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Trump isn't stirring the pot or delivering ultimatums. He's going on about whatever his attention was drawn to, deliberately or accidentally, before a new squirrel goes by for him to stare at.

He is specifically a fool.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I tend to agree with GD. Trump is no fool, but he is a gambler and he's worked his way into the highest stake game out there. Like all celebrities, he's got a big streak of narcissism, but he's also found a way to use that to attract votes. That alone makes it impossible to dismiss him as a fool.