The Political Thread - Hobbes Edition

Amentep

Theory of the day:

Bruce and SonicMage are the same person.

:biggrin:

I remember when I use to be compared to Oby....that was hilarious

People are going to compare when they don't like something you say, it's a natural thing on the forum when a minority agrees within a certain circle. You aren't the only person I've been compared to though, I've been compared to 5 or 6 other users as well. I remember Achilles saying getting yelled at by mods because he would always comment "Oh look a sockuppet!" And "You must be the same person, an alternate account" to someone that agreed with me and disagreed with him in an argument. BruceVC is intelligent though - in this world and any other - so this is perhaps a compliment to some form?

Yes. We are all Oby and we are all one, we are the samem we are DALEK!!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

. BruceVC is intelligent though - in this world and any other - so this is perhaps a compliment to some form?

Ok, that confirms it.

• Like 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

European Commission rejects Italian government's spending plans.

Maybe a "Northern Europe Union" would be better? Everyone else seems like they are suffering under the yoke.

Italy has agreed to not rise their debt over limits that they can pay like all the other EU states. Their current debt is over 130% of their GDP which is way high and they budget proposal was to increase that debt even more. Italy is free to leave EU if they don't like the rules, but I don't see that happening as they currently live with other states' money.

I understand the "why", it just seems like everyone South of Germany can "suck it". And Im sure the more successful countries arent just giving away money, they are benefitting from the Southern countries. All the PIGS managed just fine before papa EU took over, they will be fine again. Actually, I think if you see GB land on its feet, even more countries will leave the EU. Thats why the EU is trying to strongarm GB into a corner.

Maybe a "Northern Europe Union" would be better? Everyone else seems like they are suffering under the yoke.

Wouldn't make much of a difference if they're still using the Euro as that horrendous politicised kludge of a currency is the fundamental problem. Whichever economy is weakest in the Euro zone will always be in trouble because the value of the currency and monetary policy of the Euro is run by and for the benefit of the largest and strongest economies, not the weaker, and long term that completely asterisks weaker economies and turns them into serfs of the stronger. The weaker economies get  less competitive internationally to go with them already being uncompetitive in the internal EU market while the stronger get more competitive internationally and more dominant internally. Classic vicious circle, by design.

You can also use monetary policy as leverage for when the stronger countries' abjectly idiotic foreign policy and moronic Wilkommen Alles! refugee policy backfire and they need somewhere to dump hundreds of thousands of unwanted refugees.

• Like 2

I understand the "why", it just seems like everyone South of Germany can "suck it". And Im sure the more successful countries arent just giving away money, they are benefitting from the Southern countries. All the PIGS managed just fine before papa EU took over, they will be fine again. Actually, I think if you see GB land on its feet, even more countries will leave the EU. Thats why the EU is trying to strongarm GB into a corner.

Yeah they did fine with their dictatures and persecuting anybody that speak against government and so on (one the reasons why they still have problems with their economies and why they were accepted as members of EU, even though their economies weren't on level that EU membership demands, as then one of EU's main purposes still was to ensure lasting peace in Europe).

Edited by Elerond

You can also use monetary policy as leverage for when the stronger countries' abjectly idiotic foreign policy and moronic Wilkommen Alles! refugee policy backfire and they need somewhere to dump hundreds of thousands of unwanted refugees.

Refugees aren't dumped in Mediterranean countries, as they arrive there and northern countries refuse take their share, although Germany and Sweden took over their share in biggest years of immigration crisis, but then they quite soon changed their policies to low down amount of immigrants coming in, after that it has been just political infight in which Italy and Greece have suffered most as most of the immigrants arrive in them and then are stuck in their refugee centers and camps.

Theres probably some truth to that too. Something like "you must be this rich (holds up bag of cash) to enter our gang."

They did that. Two problems, though.

One, they didn't really look at what was inside each country's "bag", as in the case of Greece, turns out it was full of old newspaper clippings and lint (I read allegations that they actually did know what was inside, but brushed off concerns for the sake of political expediency).

And two, not too long after their "you must be this rich*" thresholds were announced, France and Germany no longer met their own requirements themselves by virtue of overrunning the deficit limits. They pardoned themselves or some such bull**** instead of paying fines or kicking themselves out of the union as they should have done had they had a modicum of shame.

*fiscally responsible

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Theres probably some truth to that too. Something like "you must be this rich (holds up bag of cash) to enter our gang."

"You must be <----This Rich*----> to join."

*Designated by an amount of solvent credit corresponding to the debts of now non-eligible entities.

"Oh your poor because of all the wealth that we've extracted, let me lone the surplus that I collect from you back to you. But you'll have to pay interest because I'm going to inflate currency by printing some more, so it's not like I'm really loaning you the purchasing power that you think I am. Oh, and the interest compounds to keep up with the inflation, and then some just to make sure you aren't squandering the money I lent you. What's that? All you're profits aren't even going to keep up with the interest? You need another loan to invest in the decaying assets that you own? Sure, here is another loan. Oh btw, we aren't raising you earnings to match inflation until your earnings are so low that raising them doesn't even get you back to where you started. Oh you had kids? Let me pay for all their schooling, I know just what to train them in... and at some point I'll be asking them to take out a loan because I won't get them the part of the education that really matters."

• Like 1

. BruceVC is intelligent though - in this world and any other - so this is perhaps a compliment to some form?

Ok, that confirms it.
Confirms what, that I am BruceVC or that BruceVC is me? It's a rhetorical question that makes a fault in historical dilemmas as such.. The egg before the chick, etc.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

And two, not too long after their "you must be this rich*" thresholds were announced, France and Germany no longer met their own requirements themselves by virtue of overrunning the deficit limits. They pardoned themselves or some such bull**** instead of paying fines or kicking themselves out of the union as they should have done had they had a modicum of shame.

Yep, literally everyone except Estonia (and one other last time I checked, Luxembourg iirc) hasn't adhered to the rules at some point, and they've never been 100% followed in any of the 21 years there have been rules. Wish I could find the handy chart someone did showing how often the rules were ignored, how and by whom but it seems to have mysteriously disappeared from Wikipedia, perhaps all the red on it was causing a worldwide shortage or something. Its replacement is scarcely better though since it shows around half half failed compliance at least once in the past three years.

Refugees aren't dumped in Mediterranean countries, as they arrive there and northern countries refuse take their share, although Germany and Sweden took over their share in biggest years of immigration crisis, but then they quite soon changed their policies to low down amount of immigrants coming in, after that it has been just political infight in which Italy and Greece have suffered most as most of the immigrants arrive in them and then are stuck in their refugee centers and camps.

The french have literally been dumping refugees into Italy using the excuse that that is where they landed first. That they're landing there mostly thanks to France's (Sarkozy's) imbecilic intervention in Libya turning that place into a anarchic basket case? {Gallic Shrug}. I fervently hope that oxygen thief Sarkozy gets judicially Kashoggied over trying to cover up the bribes he accepted from Gaddafi via a war, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's always collective responsibility and strict adherence to the rules if that favours the big boys in the union; and individual responsibility and flexible rules when that favours them instead. France and Germany are Tier 1 members of the EU, everyone else is Tier 2 and below.

I think it's more like "bombs get sent to Trump all the time but the liberal media never reports it."

If the comments section on a story about a bomb sent to George Soros a couple of days ago is anything to go by then I think the first guess is more accurate. Followed by too bad it didn't work.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Or it'll be equated to people yelling at McConnell or Cruz.

The Internet is to blame for all of this. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You'd have to be an idiot to actually believe that they mailed it to themselves. Also, apparently the one to CNN was meant specifically for John Brennan, the former CIA director.

inb4 'drooling maga-hat wearing nutso sent them' and 'conservatives, who's the violent snowflake now?'

edit: And one showed up at a Democratic Congresswomans place.

Edited by smjjames

Random Items Found in Suspicious Boxes at 6th and B Streets Downtown. :lol:

Anywho, worst. bomber. ever. mot a single one has exploded.

And why are you using the laugh smiley?

There's also a report of a suspicious package at the congressional mail screening facility in Maryland. No word yet if the ones in San Diego and the one in Maryland are the same or just people being hyperalert.

Anyways, I don't know if the timing of all them being today is just amazing coincidence or just the nature of mail delivery or what.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell