The Political Thread - Hobbes Edition

Amentep

That image Hoonding posted needs to mention snarking at humanities, as well.

Forgot : Burn the Witch, Purge the unclean, etc.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If witches hexing men actually worked... there wouldn't be the need of a #metoo movement in 2018... LMAO

Let's remember, though, these witches  are anti human rights because one of the fundamental rights of  people is the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty ... unless you are  man in 2018.... :p

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Counter productive comparison too, since there's essentially no doubt that the Saudis did what they're accused of, it's just a matter of whether it was deliberate mandated murder or 'just' a kidnapping/ interrogation gone wrong.

At this point I do wish more than a little that the Turks would put up or shut up with whatever they have rather than drag it out further, no matter how much I may dislike the Saudis.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/16/657749867/determining-who-is-a-cherokee-is-more-than-dna-hoskin-says

HOSKIN: Well, DNA, at best, will tell you if there are markers in your genetic code that trace you to native peoples in North America and South America. It's not going to tie you to a particular group of native peoples from a particular tribe. Keep in mind, as you noted, Indian tribes in this country are sovereign nations. We existed before the United States was in existence. And so as a sovereign nation, we can determine our own citizenship rules and laws. Of course, those are tied in part to federal treaties. But this is a legal status, a political status, not a genetic status. And that is very important for folks in this country to understand and it's one of the reasons we're concerned about it.

HOSKIN: It does. I mean, first of all, it - I don't begrudge anybody for having family stories or being curious about their DNA. But you have to take Senator Warren's statements in the larger context. I mean, she has told stories about being a Cherokee, hearing those stories growing up and then she is in a back and forth with the president of the United States, of course, who's taken some personal shots at her for her family story. And then we're now at the point where she's taken a DNA test, and this, I think, muddies the waters for a lot of Americans on a subject that they don't know a great deal about. So that's what the concern is, is that we are a sovereign nation, we have a very specific means by which you are a Cherokee citizen. That's true of all Indian nations. And for a senator in this context of this ongoing back-and-forth political fight to talk about DNA, it really undermines tribal interest, frankly, because we're a sovereign nation.

HOSKIN: Well, often it is about appropriating our identity and our culture. You know, we fought long and hard for this status. It's a legal status that was nearly extinguished by the government of the United States. It's a legal status that we use to fight for the rights of Native children, to protect our lands. And when someone comes in and boasts that they took a DNA test so they're Indian, we think that erodes what it means to be a Native American in this country, even if they don't claim a specific tribal nation citizenship.

I'm so sick of this false expedient "liberalism" that people like Warren use to obtain and maintain power. Honestly identitariansim of any form is the civic brain rot of our times, only made worse when people kowtow to it and it's hierarchy of what constitutes a legitimate grievance.

Yeah, 1/36 to 1/1000 something-th is like what, maybe one ancestor from way back at the early days of European colonization? 6-10 generations from Elizabeth Warren would be something like the later half of the 18th century to somewhere in the 17th. Chances are that she may have a bit of Africa in her DNA, does that make her African-American?

Plus, DNA doesn't determine cultural heritage. Also, as an op-ed on CNN noted, Warren has been conspiciously absent from struggles that Native Americans have had in recent years/decades.

Edited by smjjames

Fraankly, I'd put this whole heritage thing squarely on American culture. The thing where you lot feel the need to specify, for example, that you are a quarter german, 1/8 african, 4/19 martian, 7/5 teletubby, and 2/3 lebanese sounds really stupid to me. More importantly it's also kinda subreptitiously racist and openly nazi in spirit.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It is a very American thing (nation of mostly immigrants) but I don't see how claiming to have Native American heritage is functionally any different from claiming to have Greek, German, or anything else heritage. Especially if it's true. I get that this is being played out for political reasons but this was supposedly part of her family's beliefs and part of their family story.

Maybe it's different for us as we have a somewhat similar family heritage that is all over the place. Maybe the difference is that I can point to an ancestor on the Dawes rolls and my DNA test has a much higher percentage of Native than does Warrens but we also don't claim tribal citizenship or affiliation, only heritage.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Fraankly, I'd put this whole heritage thing squarely on American culture. The thing where you lot feel the need to specify, for example, that you are a quarter german, 1/8 african, 4/19 martian, 7/5 teletubby, and 2/3 lebanese sounds really stupid to me. More importantly it's also kinda subreptitiously racist and openly nazi in spirit.

Not really surreptitiously tbh.

It is a very American thing (nation of mostly immigrants) but I don't see how claiming to have Native American heritage is functionally any different from claiming to have Greek, German, or anything else heritage. Especially if it's true. I get that this is being played out for political reasons but this was supposedly part of her family's beliefs and part of their family story.

Maybe it's different for us as we have a somewhat similar family heritage that is all over the place. Maybe the difference is that I can point to an ancestor on the Dawes rolls and my DNA test has a much higher percentage of Native than does Warrens but we also don't claim tribal citizenship or affiliation, only heritage.

I think Warren isn't all that but this whole thing about her claiming to be Native American is really blown out of proportion. Probably half of America claims to be German or Irish or whatever and a blood test would prove them to be largely some other heritage, seems to be she just believed what her family told her and they were mistaken.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/412114-catholics-and-exorcists-pray-for-kavanaugh-to-counteract

ROFL

Maybe they can excorsize the demons from Trump and Republicans HAR HAR HARDY HAR HAR,

Seriously, what are the witches going to do, hex him to die a natural death (the most deadly of all curses!) or hex his hair to fall out (male pattern balding!)? I think the WHOLE thing is bull****.

Edited by smjjames

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/412195-georgia-purged-more-than-100000-people-from-voter-rolls-because-there-didnt

Wait, what?

More info: https://www.apmreports.org/story/2018/10/19/georgia-voter-purge

Do all states pretty much do what they want in terms of how they deal with voting registration?

Edited by Thingolfin

Guess you can't give them any excuse.

So they killed Khashoggi in a fist fight, huh.

Completely plausible, middle age overweight guys are always wandering into embassies and getting into fatal fist fights with a bunch of trained killers and autopsy experts who happen to be visiting. It's surprising how often they cut off their own fingers, dismember themselves then hop into a barrel of HF and drive themselves into the woods too- and all because Qatar has paid them to cause embarrassment to Saudi.

And they've taken the chance to get rid of the guy who was in charge of the war in Yemen over it too.

Shame, was sort of hoping they'd punch KSA on the nose publicly for the threat they made to the US last week.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/10/17/mexican-government-sends-federal-police-stop-caravan-u-s-bound-migrants/1674954002/

This illegal mass movement to the USA is really unacceptable, I hope this gets stopped before getting to the USA border 

What do these people expect ? Surly it must be obvious this cannot be normal?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yet people will continue to argue that certain countries aren't actuyally ****holes and are actually 'better' than the US. LMAO

As for SA, they are what they are. Murderous dictatorship.  And, Trump is gonna do what basically every other president has done - continue to let them slide.

btw, That excuse they came up with is the most believable defense I have ever heard for murder/assassination. Yeah.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.