What did you do today?

Amentep

The floor in my house is a vinyl version of pergo/laminate/wood. The nice thing about vinyl is large sections make it mostly waterproof. In Tommy's last days he wasn't able to hold it well if you know what I mean. Plus it has a textured surface so it's easier for them to walk on .

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I bought some stuff to try to repair the scratches and some other stuff to coat and protect it but it's really tough because my entire second floor minus the bathrooms have hardwood floors. The entryway, kitchen, dining, and laundry rooms on the main floor all have that super durable fake wood stuff and it's really nice for the mutts. The basement is fully carpeted but they don't really like going down there unless I'm down there.

I will have to gate the stairs until I get a chance to try to fix them though which sucks because these dogs are heavy to carry up and down the stairs. Also looking into getting some plastic nail caps.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I bought some stuff to try to repair the scratches and some other stuff to coat and protect it but it's really tough because my entire second floor minus the bathrooms have hardwood floors. The entryway, kitchen, dining, and laundry rooms on the main floor all have that super durable fake wood stuff and it's really nice for the mutts. The basement is fully carpeted but they don't really like going down there unless I'm down there.

I will have to gate the stairs until I get a chance to try to fix them though which sucks because these dogs are heavy to carry up and down the stairs. Also looking into getting some plastic nail caps.

one of our dogs cannot walk on laminate.  would be funny if it weren't sad.  put her on laminate and she panics.  legs shoot out from underneath her as if she is wearing roller skates. 

lotta area rugs and in-between we literal set up indoor/outdoor mat connectors.

68fb3b48d0d9517b2dd0b5d5aeb5c079.jpg

these kinda mats.  

sure, they look fugly, but when company comes over, we pick up the mats and put the dogs outside.

is a cheap and temporary solution for your second floor and stairs.  you could cut up the mats for the stairs and put down a few mats in hallways upstairs.  for our house, we got 6 o' 'em at just under $20 a piece. ours are 3'x5'.

the mats are ugly.  no question 'bout it.  however, for relative cheap investment, they might suffice 'til you decide on a more permanent solution.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I had a cat who  didn't like to walk on carpet, once, a few months before he passed from sudden liver failure. He would jump/leap/contort on stuff as much as possible to avoid touching it. It was really weird. Over sensitive paw pads I guess. I figured it was from the disease affecting that but vet said he'd never heard of such before. *shrug*

...today I've been trying to make the two 27" monitors match in color calibration as much as possible. The 1440 from hubby's stash is constantly a bit more yellow with the lack of blue tone and brightness to whites/overall contrast that I like (or the other way, too much red). I can make them fairly close but not enough for me to ignore re: consistency across all workspaces. eg, I need a new monitor. Pick, pick, pick.  :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hit a badger a little while ago, handed in my car to let the insurance company fix it, which they did. Got my car vandalized while at their parking. Keyed, dented, broken off wipers, antennae, lists, slashed tyres, the connection for my heater, connection for trailerlights and it goes on.

I'm in a bit of a murderous mood.

Damn, that sucks. Will the insurance company or the shop the car was parked at cover the damages?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

A few days ago i found that someone has all HP Lovecraft's works in audiobook form on youtube. i've been binge hearing them since

In the last 48 hours i only slept for 3 hours and somehow i don't feel sleepy at all. If i lie down and try to, i will probably sleep like a log but i don't really feel any need to do so.

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

My dog won't go near stairs, which works out well since we don't want him up there. 

Ok, I stripped the horrid paint off the kitchen cabinets and removed the doors, so we have a nice open cupboard system. I might paint them down the road, but for now I need to focus on other stuff. I also stripped the one beat up window frame in my daughters room, sanded it, and painted it. It looks way better, cracks are filled up and the mold is gone. 

I'm still at a loss as to what to do with the moldings around the door. The sander is chewing up the wood too much and the stripper is messy and time consuming. There are too many dang door frames. 

I also need to learn about baseboards, and since we are out of money, it needs to be super cheap. 

My dog won't go near stairs, which works out well since we don't want him up there. 

Ok, I stripped the horrid paint off the kitchen cabinets and removed the doors, so we have a nice open cupboard system. I might paint them down the road, but for now I need to focus on other stuff. I also stripped the one beat up window frame in my daughters room, sanded it, and painted it. It looks way better, cracks are filled up and the mold is gone. 

I'm still at a loss as to what to do with the moldings around the door. The sander is chewing up the wood too much and the stripper is messy and time consuming. There are too many dang door frames. 

I also need to learn about baseboards, and since we are out of money, it needs to be super cheap. 

using chemical stripper or heat? if you got two people to do the job, and the wood ain't too old, steam strippers has been what we used when trying to get rental properties back in shape. less likely to burn wood with steam, but if wood is old, the moisture soaks in and then you is pretty much fubar. the thing is, as we said, steam works best with two people as one person is steaming and immediate behind is the guy stripping the goo. don't wanna let steamed paint dry or you kinda is back at square one. 

with chemical strippers, we typical end up making a big %$#@ing mess.  have seen guys who know what they is doing with chemical strippers and they look like they is doing some kinda infomercial as they work.

"just apply and scrape off.  it couldn't be any easier!"

we got loads o' chemical stripper, but is not worth using 'cause will only mess up the job. would like to use chemical, 'cause then we wouldn't need a second person to help us. 

am not having any advice on chemical strippers. you drink beer, yes? have lots of beer on hand. won't help you with the stripping though.

three skills Gromnir has never been able to improve:

1) fire a handgun with any accuracy (no joke on this one.)

2) get better than 70% success rate (at best) on our pie crusts

3) strip paint with chemicals

HA! Good Fun!

ps we rare make pie 'cause am too much o' a snob to use pre-made and 'cause am too aggravated by our presumptive fails.

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Damn, that sucks. Will the insurance company or the shop the car was parked at cover the damages?

No, they consider the damages to be too much for the cars worth since they don't acknowledge the upgrades I've done on it with suspension and such, they've offered to get me a "new" car, but they won't pay enough to get me a car in as good a condition as I have. The amount of money they consider the car to be worth is around 1500$ but to get another one I need about twice that.

I have to see if I can wrest some repair money out of them and get the rest of my own, but I suspect that they won't pay up.

I have about 3000$ saved up that I was going to use to pay for a licence for lorries, but it looks like I have to give that up or trick a bank with a loan or something.

I'm going to see if I can strongarm the car dealership/repairshop into giving me money aswell since they parked the car out on their parking lot over the weekend which is next to the only McDonalds in town, right between McD and the bars and such in the inner city. All kinds of turds waddle around there in the middle of the night.

I'm glad I've got steelrimmed winter tyres on it so that I can actually tow it onto a trailer without totally ruining the rims, and a really nice trucker from work is going to take the company car trailer and lorry and drive it to his garage.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Have you tried a finer grit? Higher number = finer. Generally speaking, I will use a heavier grit to knock off the big mass (years of paint layers) and then switch to a finer grit for the nooks and crannies. A sander with a pointy tip is also a godsend but you can make due with what you have.

Baseboard is available in pretty inexpensive particle board so you don't have to spring for wood. Though, in doing these improvements are you kinda intending to rent-to-own? In that case you might not want to go cheap on the baseboards as youre going to be looking at them for the next 30 years.

They are actually going to tear down the house in a couple years, so really we are just trying to make it looks decent for ourselves while we save up money with the cheap rent. Plus I figure it is a good property to practice my DIY skills on. When and if we buy in a couple years, we will likely be going into a fixer upper, so better to make my mistakes now and learn from them.

I have a bunch of 2x4's, I wonder if I can use my table saw to cut some decent looking baseboards? Might not be worth the time, but it could be a decent project. I could also repurpose the cabinet doors. 

I am using Citristrip gel as my paint stripper because I was nervous about dying.  :skull:

I actually vastly prefer vapers to regular smokers. Sure they look dumb but they don't stink nearly as bad.

The scented crap they exhale isn't all that much better.  Better than the weed smokers though.  Hm, forgot warmer weather means more crazy people as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@Malcador: pretty sure Randy Marsh got rid of his balls at some point because he wanted to buy marijuana legally. But hey, now he hates vapers...

'Smoking cures cancer'

'You read studies that say that?!'

'eh...no, trust me'

I owe that cop a beer. :lol:

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Today I searched for "do si do" on Youtube. I was looking for dance videos. I did indeed get quite a lot of dance related videos, but I also got a lot of results about marijuana, judging by the picture frames. Looks like there's a growing strain called dosido, or something. I did not click on any of those videos since I'm not interested, but it did make me reflect how much word, phrase, etc associations have changed over the years - at least as far as search engine results are concerned.

Whenever I socialize now (which isn't too often I admit) I'm half-afraid to say a lot of phrases I'm used to saying from when I was younger, wondering if they mean something different now. If I said I really loved to do si do! would they think I was a pothead?  It's like a minefield! :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I did some calculations yesterday and it seems that most of my money goes towards, well, cat food!

Which is worse?

a)crazy cat people

b)vapers

c)potheads

d)all of the above

• Like 1

I don't mind any of them really

I'm a crazy dog person. Even I think it's ridiculous how much I spend on them but no lie my dogs are my best friends. I'm a country boy though and animals vastly outnumbered people where I grew up and the people weren't all that great.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

^ I always wanted myself a welsh corgi but Tehran is not all that dog friendly and a Welsh Corgi is a very smart and energetic dog, it needs its daily walk.

They are super cute though, be it Cardigan or Pembroke.