What did you do today?

Amentep

When it's so windy (no rain, sunny day, just wind) that in the middle of typing something, the power goes out. Doesn't happen often here. My new rig! Noooooooo! ... wait, it seems fine. That's ok then.

Btw, how do you get Win10's UAC to shut up every time you open an already installed program like, say, CoreTemp. I put UAC down one notch, I checked the "Run as Admin" on its shortcut, UAC still asks every...single...time.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, you'll have to turn it off altogether from what I recall.

I have the same issues.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I didn't do this today. It was actually a few days ago. We are in the middle of a major reconstruction project on the Dunlap-Robinson Bayou levee. I was there on Tuesday and took some pics of the ducks that were trolling around. I watched them for a good five minutes and thoroughly enjoyed every one of them  

53540981_2274358776156157_21290374205936

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Got approached by some crazy man telling me there's a war on for my balls and how we need to fight the globalists. Good to know "Black Krishna" is out there

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ducks/waterfowl hanging out in their element is something I've always found relaxing. Taken my fair share of photos, too. :D

--------

The KVM switchbox I bought worked but every time I switched PC's it'd move and resize open windows. Piece of expensive $300 trash if you ask me. So I crammed a 3rd monitor on desk so I don't have to switch monitors and bought a small $30  USB KB/mouse switch instead. With a cheap 5V power added, it powers the LED keyboard just fine and doesn't move your windows. Much better arrangement all around even if I have to crane my neck to the right to view the 2nd rig's monitor.

Hubby had never seen a switchbox where the cable was a USB connector on both ends (vs. one end having that sort of square plug). I told him he just wasn't hip anymore.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

We got the keys to the house we are renting today. We moved into a really nice house last year and overpayed, but the rental market was tough at the time. We don't have the down payment to buy, and the last year moved us further away. Some friends just bought an investment property that they plan on tearing down in two years, and it fit our needs. The rent is low enough so we can save and clear debt. But the house is rough. It needs work, and it needs to be done on a budget. I figure it will be good practice for me, but it is a bit overwhelming.

First job is to replace or sand down all the damaged moldings, then paint. I have 2 weeks to do that. Then I need to move everything in.

• Like 1

First job is to replace or sand down all the damaged moldings, then paint. I have 2 weeks to do that. Then I need to move everything in.

That sounds like a good deal - couple years of lower rent to be able to save etc. Especially important/useful around here. Congrats.

We (especially hubby) used to like projects like that but yeah...it's a lot of work especially if you're in a time crunch of some kind.  It's amazing tho how just a fresh coat of paint and/or some cheap new carpeting can make a place look/feel so much better. Good luck/have fun!  :D

• Like 1

My company has me making a delivery in Jeffersonville, IN tonight at 22:30 then I'm supposed to get reloaded at the same place at 18:00... tonight. Now, I will readily admit that there is some high level calculus that escapes me and that I don't fully understand quantum mechanics (I'm not sure there is anyone that fully understands quantum mechanics) but I don't quite understand how I'm supposed to get reloaded 4 1/2 hours before unloading. Keep in mind, due to the nature of how matter works, the unloading needs to take place first. :p

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Are CB's still a thing? Do you have one? If yes, yhats your handle?

I don't have one yet. I plan to get one eventually.
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I had hand me down second hand CB radio as a kid and would use it talk to strange men as they drove by. Good times.

Had some appliances delivered today but the washer that was supposed to arrive yesterday is now delayed until Monday because of our micro blizzard. Running out of clean clothes but I guess I can wash stuff in a sink if it comes to it. I think the sofa my wife ordered is coming in tomorrow so I need to rearrange the living room a bit.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I had hand me down second hand CB radio as a kid and would use it talk to strange men as they drove by. Good times.

mid-to-late 70s had much American fascination with cb radios and long distance truckers.  we had a cb radio 'cause our phone service were as reliable as a string connected by two dixie cups.  most o' the folks we would hear on our radio were not truckers or drivers o' any kind, but they were all strange, so am not sure there is a meaningful difference from shady's experience.

am not a fan o' living rooms.  go great room concept if possible 'cause over the years, the only thing we used living room for were 1) a place to keep living room furniture, 2) the room for our Christmas tree, 3) a designated area for entertaining larger numbers o' guests, and 4) the eventual resting place for the monstrosity which is our pool table.  even so, why rearrange today 'cause won't you be spending a whole lotta time rearranging tomorrow... moving sofa a foot to the left... or perhaps a bit closer to the window... or maybe... 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My company has me making a delivery in Jeffersonville, IN tonight at 22:30 then I'm supposed to get reloaded at the same place at 18:00... tonight. Now, I will readily admit that there is some high level calculus that escapes me and that I don't fully understand quantum mechanics (I'm not sure there is anyone that fully understands quantum mechanics) but I don't quite understand how I'm supposed to get reloaded 4 1/2 hours before unloading. Keep in mind, due to the nature of how matter works, the unloading needs to take place first. :p

Haha! Sounds very familiar :)

We have a couple of departures that's supposed to leave their previous pickup location at the same time as they leave my workplace.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Well I've been settling into that slow adjustment period starting work. Trying to get the sleeping patterns into good order and all that. Slow going so far with all the on-boarding, and the projects caught in the scoping phase rather then serious work for me to dig into just yet. Finding out all the things I used to do during the week I now have to get done over the weekend.

Also have some friends talking about going up to London Comic-Con in May, so I'm pondering just how geek to push it and whether to blow some of the newly acquired budget on some cosplay to be...

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

And that's how I feel about that.

networkname.jpg

...also, my tooth or gum hurts. Not sure which. I could probably "self-treat" it like always and the pain would leave eventually but I suppose I'll have to stop avoiding the dentist soon. :p  Edit: yes I hate dentists ... I can just eat jerky puree, right.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

It was a long day but the garden is planted. Well... mostly. I've got a patch reserved for strawberries but they don't go in for a little while yet. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

...also, my tooth or gum hurts. Not sure which. I could probably "self-treat" it like always and the pain would leave eventually but I suppose I'll have to stop avoiding the dentist soon. :p  Edit: yes I hate dentists ... I can just eat jerky puree, right.

Im the same way. Anxiety building on the drive in, full on gripping the armrests of the dentist chair before they even say "open wide". :lol: But honestly it is totally painless and they are straight up wizards in their capabilities nowadays. Go on, git!

Weather's getting a bit warmer so hubby's back at the cheap 3D printers and getting them to print "properly.". :p

I wonder if he can do R2D2. Also, it's really hard to get a decent shot of something black and reflective w/a cheap PoS camera.

yodaprint-01.jpg

• Like 2

Weather's getting a bit warmer so hubby's back at the cheap 3D printers and getting them to print "properly.". :p

I wonder if he can do R2D2. Also, it's really hard to get a decent shot of something black and reflective w/a cheap PoS camera.

yodaprint-01.jpg

If he is printing with ABS he can use acetone to clean the layer lines but the best option is to use primer filler spray and sand it down to achieve a smooth surface. That said those are some good looking prints

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hit a badger a little while ago, handed in my car to let the insurance company fix it, which they did. Got my car vandalized while at their parking. Keyed, dented, broken off wipers, antennae, lists, slashed tyres, the connection for my heater, connection for trailerlights and it goes on.

I'm in a bit of a murderous mood.

Edited by Azdeus

Need to come up with a solution for the dogs and the floor. We have a lot of rugs but I need a fix for the stairs to the second floor as they are already getting scratched and scuffed.

obvious solution is to sever the gordian knot, but am suspecting such ain't what you are looking for. 

91TW6WOvdpL._SX522_.jpg

we bought an antiquated minivan for our dogs, so am perhaps being a bit hypocritical, but we do see a simple solution for shady.

alternative might ne to do a laminate thing for the stairs, if you can find laminate which matches.  some ' the faux pergo stuff is nigh indestructible.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)