What did you do today?

Amentep

The cost is one of the reasons me and my girlfriend agreed to never have a wedding. We'll probably marry at a point, but the celebration will probably consist of me and her going to a nice restaurant at the most.

Today I had to cancel my plans for the third weekend in a row. Turns out being a parent can be pretty time consuming.

I am on the next level of saving money. Never have girlfriend. Checkmate!

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I did my taxes. One nice thing about not being a business owner is not having to write the goddamned filthy IRS a big check right about this time of year. Instead i get to brood over the interest free loan I gave them on the money they took from me that I didn't owe. Oh well. 

most o' our money comes from real estate related stuff.  the thing is, we ain't paid a tax bill since 2010 and am unlikely to need do so for near future.  our situation is one o' the things wrong with our current tax system.  have been able to carry forward losses from housing bubble burst years in spite o' fact we actual made money from purchase o' numerous enchepened properties. our personal income is kept low and as long as we avoid capital gains situations, taxes is a non-factor.  

in theory the irs bill would catch up with us when we sell property, 'cause then the capital gains would kick in and kick in hard.  buy sooper cheap and sell expensive sounds nice, but such is when irs swoops in and takes. 

great recession, which devastated many thousands o' US families and seniors, were best thing to happen to us from a financial perspective.

am admitting system is busted, but democrats got all bass ackwards with new plans to tax wealthy. capital gains taxes make more sense and is far more easily valued than some kinda tax on net worth. the thing is, there is current far too many ways to avoid capital gains taxes.  democrats is going at this all wrong 'cause it resonates with their base and not 'cause is a practical solution.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I did my taxes. One nice thing about not being a business owner is not having to write the goddamned filthy IRS a big check right about this time of year. Instead i get to brood over the interest free loan I gave them on the money they took from me that I didn't owe. Oh well. 

most o' our money comes from real estate related stuff.  the thing is, we ain't paid a tax bill since 2010 and am unlikely to need do so for near future.  our situation is one o' the things wrong with our current tax system.  have been able to carry forward losses from housing bubble burst years in spite o' fact we actual made money from purchase o' numerous enchepened properties. our personal income is kept low and as long as we avoid capital gains situations, taxes is a non-factor.  

in theory the irs bill would catch up with us when we sell property, 'cause then the capital gains would kick in and kick in hard.  buy sooper cheap and sell expensive sounds nice, but such is when irs swoops in and takes. 

great recession, which devastated many thousands o' US families and seniors, were best thing to happen to us from a financial perspective.

am admitting system is busted, but democrats got all bass ackwards with new plans to tax wealthy. capital gains taxes make more sense and is far more easily valued than some kinda tax on net worth. the thing is, there is current far too many ways to avoid capital gains taxes.  democrats is going at this all wrong 'cause it resonates with their base and not 'cause is a practical solution.

HA! Good Fun!

Next year I'll have a comeuppance on the town house I sold. I've taken some steps to minimize the impact. Like you, real estate is my primary investment vehicle these days. Although I'm not willing the go back in housing rentals. That is way too 'hands on" for my tastes. Plus i couldn't charge enough in rent and still cover the expenses incurred plus the mortgage. Every month was a loss. Of course market appreciation more than made up for it. The 17 acres I bought near Brownsville I paid cash for so no mortgage to worry about. It has a nice income potential from a 3 year lease I made with a horse farm for growing feed. More than enough to cover the tax bill. Long term I'm betting on the city of Brownsville continuing to expand down SR 54 and driving up the value.

I was also looking at some acreage near Austin Peay that is currently zoned for agriculture but might change in the years to come. The one thing you can count on is populations are going to increase and towns are going to grow. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Speaking of real estate, we are supposed to close on Friday. I hate our mortgage company though as they've asked for the most ridiculous things and made us jump through hoops that I never experienced before. Never using them ever again.

I know how you feel. There is always a surprise right before closing. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

--*eats a small salad and small bowl of soup*

--"I'm still hungry."

--Jog to the scale. "126lbs." Jog back to kitchen.

--*eats a hot dog (no bun), yogurt, pasty danish and some pistachios*

--"I feel better now."

...what happens when you go through one of those long periods of not caring much about eating/food, and then that ends.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

hBHkDRm.jpg

Third attempt at a black and white oil painting.

Blending and smoothing out the edges are still something that I feel I could do better at but compared to before I feel like I've made progress.

NIce, if I might be so bold as to give you some advice; try adding more contrast to your lighting. It happened a lot to me when I was starting with my own artistic pursuits, that I would be to meek to really strike some dark shadows and light lights. So I would end up with things that feel a bit too flat.

Keep at it, you're doing great.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sitting by the door waiting for a lot of packages. Not just PC stuff, a lot of other little stuff. Sadly the actual CPU was sold out so I have to wait a week or so for that.

Is it weird that I'm not very excited yet? I think it's because I know I'm going to toss fits re: the whole install and tweak tons of software (and find new software that will work with Win10, in some cases) for days before it'll finally feel like I have a useful new toy. So tiresome. But when it's finally all done, hopefully I'll get excited then! :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I often listen to podcasts while driving for my job. Today I listened to Alex Jones and Eddie Bravo on the Joe Rogan Podcast. I enjoy listening to conspiracy theories, even if I don't believe most of them, I find them entertaining. Not only was this one of Joe's longest podcasts at over 4 1/2 hours, but holy **** they went down some conspiracy theory rabbit holes. When Alex Jones gets going he goes 800 mph and jumps all over the place. Eddie Bravo ****ing with him was gold. The whole thing was *chef kiss* magnifique.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Managed to run over a badger on my way home from some friends, not terribly pleased, I might need to get myself a new front spoiler, but it's hard to tell when it's dark outside.

But alteast I managed to swirve and get him underneath the car instead of hitting him with my wheels and completely wrecking my shockabsorbers.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Made cupcakes for my coworkers, turned out well.  Although some said as there's no icing it's not a cupcake it's a muffin.  So spent time looking up the distinction instead of working.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Managed to run over a badger on my way home from some friends, not terribly pleased, I might need to get myself a new front spoiler, but it's hard to tell when it's dark outside.

But alteast I managed to swirve and get him underneath the car instead of hitting him with my wheels and completely wrecking my shockabsorbers.

Wear that dented spoiler like a badge of honor.

• Like 1

Made cupcakes for my coworkers, turned out well.  Although some said as there's no icing it's not a cupcake it's a muffin.  So spent time looking up the distinction instead of working.

I would say it is a muffin. But that's good, because muffins are considered healthy. :p

I would say it is a muffin. But that's good, because muffins are considered healthy. :p

Apparently some say the texture and moisture matters. Definitely does not have the texture of most muffins I've had. I'll just tell them to shut the **** up and enjoy the free treat in lieu of arguing with them.

• Like 1

They normally do, would have complicated transport as one level would have mashed icing potentially and it saved me effort. :p

• Like 1

Wear that dented spoiler like a badge of honor.

It's not so much dented as cracked and misaligned, and my OCD can't handle it. Got a time for a damage inspection on wednesday, atleast my insurance covers it and I don't have to pay a penny :)

Also, you can see the red paint from the donor car, and that REALLY irks me, since it reminds me of being pushed of the road last year.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm spending too much time on the internet again. Partly restless mind, partly don't want to get too wrapped up into things and forget to check for packages every hour or so. Our neighborhood isn't bad or anything, but homes are close together and I don't trust leaving packages on the doorstep for too long when they can be easily seen from the street. One day I should do something about that (front porch area fencing or something),  >.>

I may go visit my cousin next week. Haven't seen her in a long time, it'll be nice to catch up with her.

Me: "I need a USB KB/mouse to go with the switchbox (my old KB is still a round plug...)"

Hubby: "I have this one in my car someone at work insisted buying, then they quit and left it and I've never used it."

...it's blue backlit, which is nice, although the optional moving pattern is a bit much. What's the use for that?

...it's a Velocifire VMO1, not sure which model version (not expensive). Mechanical?

...Don't like the very angled wrist rest bottom. It's a bit smaller profile than my old so fingers have to relearn auto-reaching distances. I like the extra weight. Not sure I like the typing feel. It's not much quieter than my old one but the sound is different.

Point being, while in a sense a KB is a KB, it's funny how picky we can be about such.

--------------------------------------------

Edit: also:

Amazon: "Your order of CPU will ship much earlier than expected!" ... awesome, maybe I can build it this weekend...

Amazon: "Your order of mobo+GPU has been delayed. We're sorry." .... drat. Not this weekend then.

Bank: "We've noticed higher than usual CC activity and suspended transactions, is it really you?" ... yes, I'm me, now and then I may actually spend money, that's what the CC is for, amazing isn't it, knock it off will ya.

Edited by LadyCrimson