What did you do today?

Amentep

A friend of mine is a member of Rebel Legion and they rented a screen for a private viewing of The Empire Strikes Back to commemorate Carrie Fisher's death.

Seeing it on the silver screen really drives home how much better crafted Empire is than all the newer Star Wars films. It also very much proves a point of Mike Stoklasa that when a film is good enough plot holes don't bother the viewer as much. Between Luke landing on Dagobah and Han reaching Bespin lies a world of timing issues very similar to The Last Jedi's situation of Rey finding Luke and connecting it to the slow chase between the First Order and the Resistance.

Yet, while seeing The Empire Strikes Back for what must have been the hundredth time it never once came to mind while it kept bothering me all the time during even the first viewing of The Last Jedi.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Got trapped in the elevator for about 10 minutes or so until one of the neighbours came to my rescue.

What an awesome start to an awesome day...

OK that would have freaked me out. But I have a thing about confined spaces. Not quite claustrophobia, but not nothing either.

It would have freaked me out as well but thankfully, my neighbour knew how to take care of the situation. He taught me how to take care of things in case of an emergancy.

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Hubby will spray noxious chemicals into car engines with his face crammed in there, or other projects, and smoke cancer-sticks, but balk re bug bombs in the attic space because it might get to the dishes in the cabinets on the other side of the house. We don't even have air-heating duct vents, mind.

He can be so weird sometimes.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, sheet. First time in like 10 years I sat down and started writing a short story. Made it to 1.3k words or something in 3 or 4 hours. It's about half the story, and I'm still not feeling creatively empty. Bit surprised about myself, because I thought I'd never write anything "big" ever again. However, I do feel quite exhausted right now. This thing could become good, or at least interesting. It's based on something I started... about 10 years ago. Couldn't find that anymore, though, so I just started with rewriting parts that I still remembered. Now it's quite different, but so far so good.

I mean, it could still all be just a bunch of B.S. so whatever. It's not like I'm a good writer or something.

• Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Made it to 2.7k words with my short story today. Fleshed out some more parts, but didn't progressed as much as I'd hoped. That means, I'm still missing a few important paragraphs, so I've not yet arrived in the "purely polishing" phase. Also got lots of new ideas for future development of additional content. Not that I think I'm going far with any of this, but as long as the ideas are coming, I just write them down and see what happens.

Still not sure if this is good at all, but at least I had some fun and that's what matters, no?

/Edit: Made it to 3k words. That's enough for today...

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I swear, the last couple years it's been like this (every month):

ComcastTV: "You didn't pay enough last month, you owe us more money this month."

Me: "Fine."  **tosses them a bunch of money**

ComcastTV: "You were short last month, you owe us more money/you're late."

Me: "--cusswords--"  **tosses them more money**

Finally:

Us: "Cable box broke, we never use it anyway, finally time to cancel."

ComcastTV: "Are you sure, we'll miss you."

Us: "Yes."

ComcastTV: (week later by mail) "You paid us too much money, we owe you $273, check's in the mail."

:disguise: :disguise: :disguise:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Even back in my party days I made it a point to stay home on New Years eve. Someone asked my why once and I told them a story about a die hard hunter I once knew who refused to enter the woods on the first day of hunting season. He said on the opening weekend the woods are full of amateurs, many of whom never touch a gun all year long and only hunt that one weekend and lose interest after. "If you're gonna be shot by another hunter, opening weekend is when it will happen".  Substitute gun for booze and THAT'S why I stay home on NY Eve!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My father-in-law passed away yesterday, so we are dealing with the arrangements. The plan is to inter his ashes in a Triumph motorcycle gas tank that he has always kept around. At first it sounded a bit silly, but the guy was a lifelong mechanic and had a stable of old bikes he worked on. It's a beautiful gas tank, so hopefully that will work.

When he moved in with us, the only thing he was worried about bringing were his two massive tool carts. I made a pretty good workshop area in the garage for him. Yesterday I was under my RV, using his tools to fix a running board, when I got the news that his heart had given out.  ;(

Sorry to hear that, Hurl, condolences to you and your family.  Rough time of the year to lose someone.  That is a good way to commemorate him though.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Condolences Hurl.  When you can make those memories personal, they'll always last.

I've been feeling fairly out of sorts, not sure if it was the A/C on the flight back, but I picked up the ticklish throat that's turned into a full blown mucus cough, which induces headaches and terrible sleep.

Thinking I'll end up having a quiet New Year's eve ignoring most things and possibly reading while avoiding hacking a lung up.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So sorry to hear that Hurlshot. For you and especially your wife & children. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My condolences Hurlshot :(

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

My condolences as well, Hurlshot. And I don't think that your plan for his ashes sounds silly at all. It sounds inspired and appropriate.

• Like 1

Finished my short story yesterday with close to 5k words. The last stretch was really hard--- was about the combat scene between the main character and a monster. Here's the thing: I had (and still have) no idea how to write such things. In all my years as a writer for video games, I always only write the mundane things... and combat is later up to active player experience. Thus, I didn't even know where to start without having it sound like a checklist of boring things to go through. It gets especially worse if you have to drag out the combat scene and don't want every other sentence to sound the same. ****, this stuff needs a real big vocabulary, which I - honestly - don't think I possess. Not in english, neither in german.

To get a better feel for that, I picked up The Gunslinger from Stephen King again. God damn it, are his combat scenes smooth. I never felt like **** repeated noticeably, even though shooting people with guns doesn't seem at first to be something you can variate on this much.

Anyway. In the end, I've decided to add in a chapter with switched perspective.. you basically experience this **** from the eyes of the monster. Thus, the actual combat scene was very short. It's hard to explain for me without laying out the whole story so you fellas get a better understanding of it all... wish I could have written it in english in the first place, but I'm just not that good.

Anyway2. I had then someone read over it and got trashed in plenty parts. Too many adjectives, lots of unnecessary words or sentences. So I've started deleting and cleaning up. Another remark I got was that the structure is confusing, so I began adding in a bigger intro, to give some more backstory.
It's painful to hear something like that, especially if you crunched through the last 4 days, but at the end of the day, without proper feedback, you just can't improve yourself.

Oh, and I've noticed that in paperback format, I'm at 33 pages. Just 117 or something pages more, and I have my own book. :cat: Doesn't seem all that unrealistic anymore at this point. Maybe I can fix up that **** to make it better, and think of a two or three more short stories. I'm quite pessimistic about that happening, though.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 3