What did you do today?

Amentep

My back keeps tightening up after runs, whether they are long, short, and regardless of pace. It doesn't affect me at all while running, but right after it's a pain. I've been working on some stretching and strengthening routines, but no progress yet.

Do you have good running form? If you hit the ground to hard with your heels you will have back problems.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Came out 10$ ahead in the poker games tonight, but I didn't win the trophy. Oh well, better luck next time.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

My back keeps tightening up after runs, whether they are long, short, and regardless of pace. It doesn't affect me at all while running, but right after it's a pain. I've been working on some stretching and strengthening routines, but no progress yet.

Do you have good running form? If you hit the ground to hard with your heels you will have back problems.

It's a new problem, so unless my form changed and I didn't realize, I don't think that is it. Although I could also just need new shoes. I've got a lot of miles on my current ones.

I think I have figured out how to beat most Android chess SW consistently. You suffocate it. Forget big moves and grand strategy. You adopt a slow, grinding style that focuses on controlling the board and limiting opponent movement. Kind of dull really but I've beaten chess pro for Android 7 times out of 10 now. 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Today I hop on a plane taking me to Palm Beach International. From there a short drive to my parents' house on Singer Island. Christmas on the beach for the second straight year. :)

Aaand my flight is delayed. Classic American Airlines. :lol:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My father-in-law lives with us, and the last few months his health has been on the decline. We've been trying to get him to go to the doctor, but he is pretty resistant. Thursday morning he fell out of bed and couldn't get up. We managed to get him up and then sent him to the hospital. It wasn't a stroke or a heart attack, so we were hoping we got him in early enough and they could help clear out the toxins and get him doing physical therapy, but yesterday he took a turn for the worse and they had to hook him up to a ventilator. The doctor told us to say our goodbyes. I went home to take care of the kids and my wife spent the night at the hospital with him. He is still fighting and pushing out toxins, but it is still very touch and go whether he makes it. 

So the holiday is in a bit of a state of flux. It's strange because we've known for awhile that it was a real possibility that we would lose him given his health, but it still feels so sudden. Last week I got a flat tire on a ride and the guy drove out with his truck and picked me up. He drove the kids to and from school Wednesday before he went in the hospital. It's just a shock to see him laid out like this.

I'm also not sure what tone to strike with the kids. 

I think I have figured out how to beat most Android chess SW consistently. You suffocate it. Forget big moves and grand strategy. You adopt a slow, grinding style that focuses on controlling the board and limiting opponent movement. Kind of dull really but I've beaten chess pro for Android 7 times out of 10 now.

Pretty sure that is the best way to win chess generally.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My father-in-law lives with us, and the last few months his health has been on the decline. We've been trying to get him to go to the doctor, but he is pretty resistant. Thursday morning he fell out of bed and couldn't get up. We managed to get him up and then sent him to the hospital. It wasn't a stroke or a heart attack, so we were hoping we got him in early enough and they could help clear out the toxins and get him doing physical therapy, but yesterday he took a turn for the worse and they had to hook him up to a ventilator. The doctor told us to say our goodbyes. I went home to take care of the kids and my wife spent the night at the hospital with him. He is still fighting and pushing out toxins, but it is still very touch and go whether he makes it. 

So the holiday is in a bit of a state of flux. It's strange because we've known for awhile that it was a real possibility that we would lose him given his health, but it still feels so sudden. Last week I got a flat tire on a ride and the guy drove out with his truck and picked me up. He drove the kids to and from school Wednesday before he went in the hospital. It's just a shock to see him laid out like this.

I've been there with you, brother. Almost exactly the same situation. God bless you and your family and may the Great Lord of Healing reach out His saving hand and make you all whole again. Edited by Epaminondas
  • Like 1

χαίρετε

Sorry to double post, but there was no way I was going to add this to my previous one. My "happened today" actually happened yesterday. My wife agreed to dive me to my monthly Pathfinder game and visit a little. We had a small gift exchange. The hosts, who are always gracious made two huge prime ribs for dinner. Mrs. Epaminondas got on with everyone so well, she decided to join our gaming group every months. I let her take over my cleric (Eric, the generic cleric, son of Deric from the village of Meric) since she likes playing clerics. I made up an elf transmuter which is what I'd really wanted to play in the first place. Life. is. Grand!

• Like 2

χαίρετε

I bought myself a present today: https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/Trapper-Pistol-Kit-.50-cal-Percussion

I have always wanted to build one of these! I'm looking over some samples of stain for the wood body & grip. I'm thinking a dark color, coffee color, would look nice. But I'm open to suggestions. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

am suspecting this advice comes too late, but we were not following the board the past few days..  regardless, there is no right tone.  there is no exact right thing to say.  am suspecting everybody in hurl's shoes feels as if they should say or do something to make such situations more bearable. there is no right answer.  is no psalm or poem to quote.  is no heartfelt and original insight with which to share which will make real difference.

be there.

given our experience, which is sadly excessive, being there is most important.  

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

i went to see a doctor today because i coughed up some blood.

fortunately its a simple throat inflammation that made some blood vessels pop while i was coughing and all i need is some medicine to stop the inflammation and coughing

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Alone in the office as everyone's working from home or on vacation.  Means I can safely blast Ice Cube on my laptop in the office.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Juggling the jetlag after arriving home.

Vegas was an interesting mix of things.  Although finding out that what I thought was meant to be a father-son trip turned out to include a friend of my fathers (a recent divorcee who he used to work with for 20-odd years) and her 15 yr old daughter was something that threw me.

Got a few things ticked off the list of Vegas stuff to be done.

Including the jumping out of a perfectly good airplane around 15,000 and having a glorious view of the Hoover Dam, the Mojave, and the Vegas sprawl.

• Like 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Got trapped in the elevator for about 10 minutes or so until one of the neighbours came to my rescue.

What an awesome start to an awesome day...

OK that would have freaked me out. But I have a thing about confined spaces. Not quite claustrophobia, but not nothing either.  

Thomas Sowell