What did you do today?

Amentep

While on the way to a friend's Halloween party, a car accident occurred in front of us. We stopped immediately. My wife called 911 and I went to help the victim. She was unable to move for pain in her back. I checked her legs and arms and she had no broken bones, but that's the extent of what I was willing to do before the licensed professionals arrived. Anyhow, here I am in my Roman Senator costume, kneeling on the freeway, holding this lady's phone up to her face so she could talk to family members. After the cops were done talking to me, I went back to her and said a quick prayer before we got back on the road. She seemed to appreciate it. I hope so. Anyhow, she'll never forget the huge Roman guy who helped her and said a prayer over her (to Asclepios for all she knows).

• Like 6

χαίρετε

Congrats, GD!

Ive never sold a house and not immediately reinvested it into the new house I was buying. How long do you have before the remaining profit becomes capital gains?

Next tax year as I understand it. I still have to work that out. I never lived in it (two years as primary residence creates an exemption of up to $250k) and I don't believe I qualify for any of the other exemptions. But since the CGT for real estate is calculated on total cost of ownership including all improvements I do have some deductions from the amount. I put around $12k into it when I bought it plus around $2k in miscellaneous repairs and small improvements since. So I CAN deduct that from the taxable value. I don't know if the rent shortfall is something that qualifies. I'll have to read about that.  Since I'm likely going to be in the 22% bracket next year I'm probably looking at 15% of what I can't deduct. 

If I used that to pay off my home I could get the exemption but I did that after we sold our company a few years ago. 

Taxation is theft. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

While on the way to a friend's Halloween party, a car accident occurred in front of us. We stopped immediately. My wife called 911 and I went to help the victim. She was unable to move for pain in her back. I checked her legs and arms and she had no broken bones, but that's the extent of what I was willing to do before the licensed professionals arrived. Anyhow, here I am in my Roman Senator costume, kneeling on the freeway, holding this lady's phone up to her face so she could talk to family members. After the cops were done talking to me, I went back to her and said a quick prayer before we got back on the road. She seemed to appreciate it. I hope so. Anyhow, she'll never forget the huge Roman guy who helped her and said a prayer over her (to Asclepios for all she knows).

Well done sir. This story strikes a chord with me because I was in a similar situation a long time ago. I was in an accident and was trapped in my car and pretty badly hurt. I remember someone talking to me to keep me awake before EMS got there. I never knew who it was (or if I imagined it) but I was always grateful. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Damnit, Amazon said my PS4 will arrive on friday, but DHL said it will be here today today, which gave me some hopes. Ofc it didn't came today and it won't tomorrow because of holiday. So maybe Amazon was right after all.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Have an aunt visiting which means we have to deal with the comical levels of backbiting that permeates my mom's family, so that'll be fun.  It will be nice to see her, just not the rest of the **** she is traveling with.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Today I'm planning my trip to Argentina. Through site I found out area phone code here https://areaphonecodes.com/argentina/ and booked cheap apartments in Buenos Aires near the city center. Besides I found a few nice city tours with local guide. I was waiting for this trip so long. Hope it will be unforgettable!

Edited by gomeshelen
  • Like 1

Woke up at around 3 AM all stressed out about stuff. Our RV is out with a renter and a tire needed to be replaced, so I was dealing with that before bed and was worried about the expense and everything. It turned out to be alright price wise (knock on wood) but it still makes me worry. 

Couldn't get back to sleep, so I went and got an early morning swim in. Now it's noonish and I'm ready for a nap. Just a couple more classes to go.  -_- 

Not that I will get a nap. Gotta get the boy off to hockey practice after work, then make dinner when I get home from that. 

Ugh, my PS4 still ain't here. Amazon first said friday, but the postal service said tuesday. Based on tracking, the package really did land at the hub nearby on the night of monday to tuesday, but for some reason they didn't delivered it yet. 4 days later and the status hasn't changed. Amazon now says delivery between 2. and 7.11. ... Sucks, especially because the hub is barely 1.5km away from me. Now I'm not sure if something happened to the package, or if they are already overloaded due to christmas next month. If it's the later, then it will be impossible to order anything big next month and expecting it to arrive in time.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

All my projects for the year are completed (at least for my part). Aside from some compliance process to write I have very little to do until we get our new budget next year. The legislature is done until after the new assembly is seated next year. So I spent most of this week at work playing Franchise Hockey Manager when I thought no one was looking. 

Going on vacation next week. Sunny & I are going fishing in Cedar Key then going to visit my brother and his family in Ocala. This weekend I'm picking the rest of the garden and canning some and selling the rest. I took a load to the green market this morning and I'll have another tomorrow. Busy busy

Thomas Sowell

One of the most visible buildings I see as I pass cities on the highway is typically the water tower. Cities often put these close to the interstate and sometimes they spruce them up real nice like. The best one I've seen so far is in Gaffney, SC. It's a giant peach complete with stem, leaf, the little nub, even the ass crack.

IMG_6313-e1525972677415.jpg

Note: I didn't take the picture.

Anyone here see any cool water towers or other weird landmarks out there?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I ended up binge watching all of Sword Art Online the Anime (both seasons 1 and 2, plus the movie) on Crunchyroll,

then afterwards all 5 episodes of the new Sword Art Online: Alicization (season 3) which is out now. I really enjoyed it.

Wonder what to make for dinner... hmm Fast Food sounds pretty good. In the mood for a hamburger or chicken sandwich

and do not feel like really cooking anything tonight, so I guess fast food it is then. 

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Everytime I have to deal with my mom's relatives I am glad I'm not armed :lol: But the aunt that is visiting is nice, last day is tomorrow.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My package was supposed to arrive today between 8 and 11 o clock... Of course didn't worked out. It's the second time they gave me a date and then failed to deliver on it. Getting a bit annoyed at this point.

My package was supposed to arrive today between 8 and 11 o clock... Of course didn't worked out. It's the second time they gave me a date and then failed to deliver on it. Getting a bit annoyed at this point.

The PC Gods deny you your console.

• Like 1

lol, I just checked the package tracking website again and now it suddenly says "We expect the package data shortly. Please be aware that we can't give information about the mailing until the dispatcher transmitted the data to us". The heck is going on with my ****. :cat:

Edited by Lexx

lol, I just checked the package tracking website again and now it suddenly says "We expect the package data shortly. Please be aware that we can't give information about the mailing until the dispatcher transmitted the data to us". The heck is going on with my ****. :cat:

Did you call their customer service?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Not yet. Think I'll wait one or so days more to see if it sorts itself. After that I'm very likely going to call 'em. Only problem with that is that it's a really crappy hotline and I do not have much hope to get through with anything. Welp, praying to the gods of delivery for now.

Well, if it is out of the x to x days they said they would deliver, you should call immediately. There is alot more internal information available to the shipping co. than you can see online. Also, it will light a fire under their arses. :)

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

This time of year the ads on pretty much any media are 100% political ads. So I was watching Super Animoo Fighters on YouTube (don't judge me) while at a truck stop, parked for the night, and an ad comes on and it says (I'm paraphrasing here) "Senator Bill Nelson is a terrific senator and a family man. He's been doing a great job and the Miami Herald declared him the greatest senator that ever served." 10 minutes later. "Senator Bill Nelson is a greedy scumbag. He steals money from you, hates babies, and he once kicked a puppy."

:lol:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks