Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TV's Vast Wasteland

• Please log in to reply
479 replies to this topic

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3212 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Let's hope the Picard series won't be about him living in an isolated planet, collecting alien's milk and wanting the Federation to come to an end.

You know I've never understood why so many found fault with where Luke Skywalker's story went. I find the idea of a man with unlimited potential failing when it matters the most, finding out everything he ever believed in was BS, then going off to live alone in some secluded rural place to be VERY identifiable. Yes, I think I can relate to all of that! :lol:
It's Star Wars, either everything is so tacky to where you can see what's coming from a mile or the writing is so bad where you are just like "What?" Lol

We'll always wonder why Darth Vader's fatgerly reveal was considered by some to be a plot twist, it was one of those "I saw this from a mile away" things. Baby boomer logic saw it as "Omg... Best thing ever!!!" I guess which is a shame considering how films in cinema not unlike Close Encounter Of The Third Kind was far better written - all whilist millennials and baby boomers blame Disney for screwing Star Wars up. Probably only keep up with the movies and nothing else :p

Edited by SonicMage117, 16 February 2019 - 05:32 PM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

It's funny how much Luke's story echos Mark Hamill's own.  In 1977 no one ever heard of him. By 1983 he was a huge star and everyone  knew who he was. Then he did a few bad movies and disappeared into the mists of cartoon voice acting. Now he resurfaces as a grouchy old man who's not happy with the role he has to play in things.. You see??? It fits like a glove!!!  :lol:

• ShadySands and InsaneCommander like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3212 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Not sure lol I'd wager he has even more fans as voice actor for the Joker in Batman than he does as Luke Skywalker in Star Wars. That's what he's been doing alot of work in. He wasn't born for the role of Luke, anybody can play Luke but nobody can really do the voice of The Clown Prince Of Crime like he can hehe

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Say what you will about the ropey moments, the Highlander series had a lot of damn good moments. Still manages to hit in the feels with the final episode.

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2071 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Let's hope the Picard series won't be about him living in an isolated planet, collecting alien's milk and wanting the Federation to come to an end.

You know I've never understood why so many found fault with where Luke Skywalker's story went. I find the idea of a man with unlimited potential failing when it matters the most, finding out everything he ever believed in was BS, then going off to live alone in some secluded rural place to be VERY identifiable. Yes, I think I can relate to all of that!  :lol:

I think it is not the best choice for what happened to the character, but I don't consider it absurd. Picard, however, should not end like that.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2644 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

..S1 may have been too dark for many, but it at least established the series as having stakes..

Note: I haven't seen the latest episode yet, vaguely hoping that Tilly gets possessed by homicidal fungus and goes on a rampage to invalidate my complaints.

Obviously_this_comment_didn't_age_well.jpg

That was... Threshhold level bad. The contrast against the last Orville episode could not have been more stark.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3266 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I've heard that Discovery has made some big Section 31 changes like it's no longer a secret that almost nobody knows about and it reports directly to Starfleet. Can anyone verify or deny?

E: And more importantly does it work?

Edited by ShadySands, 17 February 2019 - 05:57 PM.

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2071 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've heard that Discovery has made some big Section 31 changes like it's no longer a secret that almost nobody knows about and it reports directly to Starfleet. Can anyone verify or deny?

I don't know how much of a secret it is, but the crew of the Discovery seem to know about it and there were agents with visible black badges on board in the third (?) episode. In the most recent one they reported to Admiral Cornwell. Maybe only the crew of the Discovery know about them and they were ordered to keep it secret. I actually don't remember if Pike knew about them.

Anyway, I'm really curious about Georgiou's motivation.

Spoilers for the most recent episode (S02E05):

Spoiler

Edited by InsaneCommander, 17 February 2019 - 06:02 PM.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2644 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I actually don't remember if Pike knew about them.

Pretty sure (but not certain) he recognised the name/ badge without prompting.

As for whether it works, too soon to tell since they've only really had bits of C plot and B plot so far. Ep5 spoiler below, though it could easily be inferred from non spoiler info

Spoiler

Spoilers for the most recent episode (S02E05):

Spoiler

Spoiler

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

...and Punisher and Jessica Jones are cancelled with JJ Season 3 still to air.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3212 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

...and Punisher and Jessica Jones are cancelled with JJ Season 3 still to air.

I was just going to post this..
https://comicbook.co...x-jon-bernthal/

I already comsidered them cancelled long ago. This will most likely be the last season of Jessica Jones. Disney won't be picking them up but I'm hoping for some new live action shows with the same characters (different actors/acreesses).

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 956 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yes, they did.

When put into context with the rest of the Star Trek universe, no, not at all. Section 31 was Starfleet's Alpha Protocol back in Enterprise and it still is as of Deep Space Nine. It makes zero sense that it's an official part of Starfleet Intelligence ten years before TOS. Nor does it make any sense that the UFP would have an officially regonized and sanctioned Tal Shiar equivalent.

To quote your wife:

I still really want to like Discovery but as my wife puts it, it feels like it's made by people only know Star Trek from the movie trailers and pop culture.

;)

As for S02E05:

Spoiler

Edited by majestic, 18 February 2019 - 12:41 PM.

• ShadySands likes this

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2644 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, really not a fan of that episode at all.

Yes, they did.

When put into context with the rest of the Star Trek universe, no, not at all. Section 31 was Starfleet's Alpha Protocol back in Enterprise and it still is as of Deep Space Nine. It makes zero sense that it's an official part of Starfleet Intelligence ten years before TOS. Nor does it make any sense that the UFP would have an officially regonized and sanctioned Tal Shiar equivalent.

It's not clear yet that its existence is generally known though is it? Spoilered it to be safe though I tried to be vagueish.

Spoiler

Edited by Zoraptor, 18 February 2019 - 01:29 PM.

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 956 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by majestic, 18 February 2019 - 01:49 PM.

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2071 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Spoiler

Spoiler

Well, if it was already like that in Enterprise, then it makes no sense. Maybe Discovery is in the Kelvin universe? Or is that even more nonsense with the Earth to Qonos teleporters? :facepalm: :banghead:

They didn't need to make it so widely known. They could have some standard Starfleet Intelligence officers and have S31 recruit her later.

Edit: what will come next? A Dominion-Borg War in the alpha quadrant? lol

Edited by InsaneCommander, 18 February 2019 - 03:15 PM.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2644 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Eh, I'd say the fact that they actually wear black badges that are recognized by various people (including [redacted]) as the ID badges of Section 31 members means their status is much more official than what it was before.

Non spoiler: yeah, given that it seems likely they are a lot more recognisable.

Spoiler

Edited by Zoraptor, 18 February 2019 - 04:17 PM.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5328 posts

As for S02E05:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by 213374U, 18 February 2019 - 09:44 PM.

• majestic likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3212 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Deadly Class just get better and better

• Raithe likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3212 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Too good not to post. Seems like they applied all the good things of Titans but improved on that formula as well.

I hope Marvel can do a similar show.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9062 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

First two episodes of The Umbrella Academy: the show does a good job of hooking you in fairly quick. Nice sense of dark humor. I like Ellen Page, nice to see her. The kid/young teen actor playing #5 is killing it, imo - I love his snark. As usual I know nothing about the source material but the music, mood, and scene set-ups are fun. Definitely will continue watching.

Also, not plot but mood-scene spoilery:

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users