TV's Vast Wasteland

Amentep

Ok, so it seems like in most of your cases the streaming services are in place of cable rather than on top of cable, so that makes sense. And yeah I have Xfinity triple-play with hi-speed internet but without the premium channels and it's 192/mo.

Do these streaming services also give you all the network shows? If not, how do you get those?

Ive searched Netflix both verbally and manually and for whatever reason it only offer Teen Titans Go! and its movie variant. :(

We Euro-Peons have Star Trek Discovery and Titans on Netflix. And the Reboot reboot but that probably doesn't matter unless you want to be entertained by a wave of so terrible it's awesome.

So that's probably a Netflix trailer for Titans on Netflix in the UK.

Ok, so it seems like in most of your cases the streaming services are in place of cable rather than on top of cable, so that makes sense. And yeah I have Xfinity triple-play with hi-speed internet but without the premium channels and it's 192/mo.

Do these streaming services also give you all the network shows? If not, how do you get those?

Whelp, I'm paying 200€ for my cable service.

Per year. No premium channels though. And absolutly no US network TV obviously. Sky is offering some castrated versions of NBC Universal channels (E.g. Syfy and 13th Street, etc.) for the lovely price of way too f*cking much per month.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Netflix, Amazon Prime (2-day shipping pays for itself) and Hulu (free with Sprint phones) are the 3 I use. Cable and Satellite cost around $100 a month minimum, so it's way cheaper to have a few digital subs. Hulu Plus might be a good add later, since you get local and sports for $40 a month. 

am knowing hurl is bay area, so stuff is more expensive, but am paying $72 for cable and internet... though it should be $71.  gonna need call somebody on monday. nevertheless feels as if am getting robbed. get 190 channels we never watch save for news and sports. syfy, fx and amc will get infrequent views. if we ever wanna watch byutv, am golden.

got netflix and no other subscriptions.  for those shows we do not have immediate access to, am typical willing to wait 'til we might rent discs.  is a bit annoying when everybody is talking 'bout what happened on game of thrones or whatever else is the show dujour, but have become accustomed to adopting the three wise monkey routine.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't have cable tv, it used to be cheaper where I'm at to get cable tv with internet package/bundle but now it's far cheaper just to get internet without tv channels.

Everything from news, sports I can catch on YouTube via hosts or streamers. Like I said, newer and older tv shows can be found on Pluto TV which is a free app. It's just a matter of taking the time to look through catagories and shows/movies the tedious way of not being able to search and filter. It's pretty to cool that you can customize your channels on Pluto TV app though, which makes it a great alternative - it's free so all that is required is a WiFi connection or 4G if you're on phone.

Additionally, Some individual networks have an app that streams their shows for free but they only host an episode for a certain time before you can't see it anymore (so you basically have a limited time to see the newest episode). CW does this on their app as many others. Unfortunately not all are free like CW... Paramount and Spike require some weird things like contacting your cable provider - I'm guessing those apps require you to pay to watch.

I expected DC Universe Streaming app to have very little content since it's like "It's DC, how many superhero shows/films are there??!" But it's nt lacking in content at all. They add something new every week whether it's a show that never aired, a show that was stopped/canceled and necer got the last episode. Things like that. I also tune into DC Daily, it's nerd-talk basically, kinda like Kevin Smith's show, whatever that was called.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

am knowing hurl is bay area, so stuff is more expensive,

So am I.

We didn't/don't bundle because our 'net is separated via Comcast Business. Bundled packages don't give hubby the 'net features/abilities he requires to do work from home. So our comcastTV was separate/no bundle. Comcast Business is becoming expensive for what we're getting, now, too, so at some point we're likely to switch to ATT/fiber. Just have to get around to it. We're procrastinators.

As to news - yeah, youtube or I just check headlines/articles on the internet from local network or cnn or whatever websites. I don't need talking-heads.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Last Discovery episode was a vast improvement, to roughly forgettable standalone S2 TNG level. Got brutally murdered again in comparison to The Orville*, but still an improvement.

about as brutally as most of The Orville's security staff...

Funny how many comparisons/ tropes that ep managed without feeling derivative- red eyes bad, homicidal robots, Cybermen, Best of Both Worlds/ Borg, Geth (and Quarians). Be interesting to see if they can stick the landing, that's always the hard part.

Funny how many comparisons/ tropes that ep managed without feeling derivative- red eyes bad, homicidal robots, Cybermen, Best of Both Worlds/ Borg, Geth (and Quarians). Be interesting to see if they can stick the landing, that's always the hard part.

I hope they find a way to keep Isaac. Definitely one of the best characters. Maybe it was just a simulation, he has a change of mind or they simply reboot him.

sign.jpg

Watching Umbrella Academy

The story is pretty predictable and I'm not loving it but I'm really enjoying the visuals. I think the way they shot/stylized it is interesting.

I stopped watching. I may pick it up again later but my inability to focus this week did me in. It is very cliche in many ways, I was also enjoying the visuals and for me I liked some of the chrs. I know someone else who hated every chr. tho, lol.

Hubby has continued to watch it - I don't think he loves it that much but he just calls it "different than the usual" - ofc he's not someone who watches a ton of series tv or superhero or the like so he's not as overly familiar with tropes. He wouldn't have seen even a single Marvel movie or TWD or tons of other stuff, if I wasn't around, in other words. :biggrin:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I caught up on the last couple of episodes of Deadly Class.

So far we've had a "Breakfast Club" and a "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" episode, all done with that nice Deadly Class twist. I'm looking forward to what comes next.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I hope they find a way to keep Isaac. Definitely one of the best characters. Maybe it was just a simulation, he has a change of mind or they simply reboot him.

I can't see it being a simulation as in holodeck simulation since they've done that once already. A fake out as a final test is more likely- though they made sure to show scorch marks on the dead (or 'dead') security crew- especially as a lot of the logically questionable stuff in the episode would make more sense if it was a test and it would be a bit less tropey than homicidal robots.

I watched Sex Education on Netflix.

Some background information: I fully expected to hate the show. This is because of two things. I don't like most comedies (I do appreciate parodies though) in the first place and I absolutely detest the sort of sexual humor this show appeared to be built around based on the trailer. Like a guy wanking on his ear, oh, haha, or someone doing an apple pie. Laff, laff. Hilarious.

The only reason I even watched the first episode is because I saw Dana Scully and Mark Antony had roles.

For the first six and a half episodes I was pleasantly surprised to be honest. I liked the characters, the humor wasn't the sole and ridiculous focus I expected it to be and when it happened it was either not outragingly annoying or clever enough to warrant a smirk or two.

Then it suddenly morphed into one and a half episodes of Teenage RomCom Reloaded! featuring all the tired ol' tropes set to Crimson & Clover. What in the ever blazing flustercuck? Sigh.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I can't see it being a simulation as in holodeck simulation since they've done that once already. A fake out as a final test is more likely- though they made sure to show scorch marks on the dead (or 'dead') security crew- especially as a lot of the logically questionable stuff in the episode would make more sense if it was a test and it would be a bit less tropey than homicidal robots.

Well, they frequently find "inspiration" in Star Trek, so

they could make it like that DS9 episode with everyone locked in a matrix-like virtual reality.

sign.jpg

Best anime evah!

Crunchyroll, episode every week or so I think. Episode format so far has been human PoV first half (more or less, varies a bit) than it shows cat's PoV for some of the same human scenes. It's not just comedic/about the cat per se, it's a nice slice of life with cat and human slowly affecting each others lives. I love it. :cat:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 3