TV's Vast Wasteland

Amentep

After Doctor Strange I decided I could skip until Netflix for any character centered ones. Ended up skipping Black Panther and Ant Man 2. Saw Black Panther on Netflix and it didn't change my opinion.

I love Benedict Cumberbatch and I still largely snoozed through Dr. Strange. I mean it was fitfully amusing here and there but...

I'm not tired of superheroes. I'm tired of "Marvelverse." Haven't seen most of the more recent ones, gave infinity War a chance, meh.

I'm also tired of all-CGI-fest and almost no dialogue (outside of one-liners and a couple dramatic short "speeches" or whatever). They're starting to remind me of Transformers in the sense all sound and fury and not much else. And no, purple-face going on about

overpopulation and his civilizations demise

for some seconds with a sad-face doesn't make me think he's deep. ID4 probably had more actual dialogue and that's saying something.

I was watching some of those low-budget, disaster mini-series/movies with a couple semi-famous ppl in them, from the early 2000's (back when SyFy and others made a ton of those) and as bad as some of them are, I actually found a few of them more interesting than most current big-budget actions of today because ... dialogue. Then again, I'm just a grouse these days so. :biggrin:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Punisher season 2 on the docket for tonight. Will definitely also catch the latest episode of the Orville and still plan on waiting until all of Discovery is out. I've heard some positive things about the first episode of STD such as the rest of the bridge crew finally has names that we get to know. 

Free games updated 3/4/21

Punisher season 2 on the docket for tonight. Will definitely also catch the latest episode of the Orville and still plan on waiting until all of Discovery is out. I've heard some positive things about the first episode of STD such as the rest of the bridge crew finally has names that we get to know. 

Ignoring the unfixable issues Discovery has that really was an entertaining episode. Michael is also no longer an unsufferable arsehole, which helped immensely. It does have an action sequence on Star Trek 2009 level of ridiculousness, but that's par for the course I guess.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Continuing the journey of Young Justice. Everything just feels right, although I'd say the animation was better in the 90's DC cartoons, the story-writing is much better now so I guess I see why it's doing rather well in the cartoon space.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Oh damn, Punisher s2 is already out? Now I know how to waste my time this weekend.

Doing anything else but watching it?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Ignoring the unfixable issues Discovery has that really was an entertaining episode. Michael is also no longer an unsufferable arsehole, which helped immensely. It does have an action sequence on Star Trek 2009 level of ridiculousness, but that's par for the course I guess.

I was prepared for any issues and I really liked the episode.

The Orville was good too. Serious spoiler for the episode below (but I'll word it carefully anyway):

I always check imdb and I should have known the twist. :facepalm:

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Just saw the new Discovery episode.

My two cents: I didn't see any issues, well not any worth mentioning anyway. I mean if you grew up with one of the Star Treks like The Next Generation, Voyager, Enterprise or the others I could see the classic formula being a personal issue. But the new episode was pretty what I expected it to be, which is an ode/tribute to the original which inspired it. We finally get a real return to classic real Star Trek, and the cast is great too.

I knew Anson Mount would be a perfect rendition to Christopher Pike's character. There was only one episode in the classic but that episode had so much Pike that you got everything you needed from it to know the character. Character progression is rarely needed if you have a good actor, production team, direction and writing - which is probably why hour long movies can get popular and well recieved while introducing new characters. The classic episode is really no different and hence why Pike was a beloved character. Check this out :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Just made it through Punisher season 2. Not sure yet if it was better or worse than season 1. Had some very good and some very boring moments, just like the first one. I guess the Billy story could have been fleshed out some more, or maybe it's just because I expected something different. In any case, waiting for season 3 now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Just made it through Punisher season 2. Not sure yet if it was better or worse than season 1. Had some very good and some very boring moments, just like the first one. I guess the Billy story could have been fleshed out some more, or maybe it's just because I expected something different. In any case, waiting for season 3 now.

Don't hold your breath.

Edit:

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

I actually binge-watched the American Crime Story - The Trial of OJ Simpson over the weekend.

Was somewhat amused by the scene where Kardashian takes his young daughters out, sits down with them in a diner and tells them that he hopes they've taken to heart his lesson that they should be concerned with "growing a virtuous heart, and that the fleeting fame of celebrity is not something to aim for."

Though I have to admit, as a non-American I'd only really got the basics of the history of it, so it was interesting to find out more details, but I can say by the end of it, I still couldn't make up my mind on guilt or innocence. Simpson did have a bunch of sleazy acting lawyers doing everything they could to disrupt it, Cochran seemed more concerned about making it a race-issue and shaping the grand perspective than the murder itself. But then the DA / Police side didn't exactly cover themselves in glory, and they never showed whether they considered any alternatives even to just.. dot the i's and cross the t's before going for OJ.

Ah well. Interesting viewing at the end of the day, and pretty solidly acted all the way around.

Edit: And it's a point of note that the only person involved who never sold their story or wrote a book of the trial was the Judge.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Finished the Punisher season 2 and also have some mixed feelings. I was pleasantly surprised on the direction they took a couple of the side plots but the rest was pretty standard. I also found myself bored a few times but usually during some of the action scenes. Getting pummeled half to death only to come back again and again gets old fast. I still think he has some kind of healing factor.

SNL after we finished that. Kind of a blah episode and we didn't like the 70s cover band either. The Mule review was definitely the best part.

Free games updated 3/4/21

In this age of streaming video and when I watch everything at home, sometimes I have no idea which thread to post in - movie? TV? If it's 1.5+ hours long, I always think of it as a movie, but if it was basically made for a streaming service, is it really TV? Should there be a "streaming media" thread? (not really, just joking).

Anyway, I saw the Netflix trailer for Io, a post-apocalyptic drama tale with no zombies or weird mega-viruses or space aliens where the focus is on two people. Trailer is the sort to make you guess that either the film will be "deliberately"-paced but still very interesting, or "ploddingly"-paced and really boring. Turns out it's a mixture of both. Decent ideas/acting turned mediocre to average (I won't mention the "science" aspects). I did finish it, however, probably because I ended up liking the actors/characters more than anything else.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oof that Steven Universe season finale was excellent.

I thought it was pretty good. It felt a tad rushed, like there should've been another story arc in between resolving the conflict with the Diamonds (since we were pretty much JUST introduced to White Diamond). From what I read, there was originally more planned in between, but because Cartoon Network wouldn't tell them whether they were going to be renewed for a sixth season, they decided to make sure to properly end it even if it was early rather than risk having no resolution.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Thanks, LC! I was pondering whether or not to give IO a try and now I think I will.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call it a good movie. I have a feeling some may get turned off with a "nothing is happening" feeling. It's a quiet movie. The trailer makes it look more ... active or thriller-y ... then it really is. But for some reason it kept me watching where a lot of flashier movies don't anymore.

Thanks, LC! I was pondering whether or not to give IO a try and now I think I will.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call it a good movie. I have a feeling some may get turned off with a "nothing is happening" feeling. It's a quiet movie. The trailer makes it look more ... active or thriller-y ... then it really is. But for some reason it kept me watching where a lot of flashier movies don't anymore.

Sounds good for insomnia. But I like Sci-Fi, so I'll check it. Eventually.

sign.jpg

I'm finally watching The Orville.

Oh man, this really does feel like quality Star Trek with low-quality jokes scattered about.

• Like 3
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."