TV's Vast Wasteland

Amentep

As for S02E05:

What in the everblazing hells made them Tillybabble away a dramatic moment for Stamets? This is essentially the equivalent of Rose ruining the only worthwhile thing Finn would have done in the entirety of TLJ. Instead we get Twilight level writing. *sob* No! I can't lose you again!

Le sigh.

After they did the same in the previous episode with Saru (minus the Tillybabble), it didn't surprise me at all. We can't have any bad stuff happening in this show. No action has any real costs or permanent consequences, but that doesn't mean we can't have cheap tear-jerkers and tired platitudes in literally every ****ing episode.

I'm guessing we'll soon have Cpt. Malfoy back too, having learned how wicked his ways were after spending a few months as a cloud of ionized gas. And then they can all go live together in the gingerbread house at the end of chocolate road or whatever.

But hey, at least I'm having trouble imagining how the Picard or Giorgiou spin-offs could be worse. Focus on the positive, right?

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Deadly Class just get better and better

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Too good not to post. Seems like they applied all the good things of Titans but improved on that formula as well.

I hope Marvel can do a similar show.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

First two episodes of The Umbrella Academy: the show does a good job of hooking you in fairly quick. Nice sense of dark humor. I like Ellen Page, nice to see her. The kid/young teen actor playing #5 is killing it, imo - I love his snark. As usual I know nothing about the source material but the music, mood, and scene set-ups are fun. Definitely will continue watching.

Also, not plot but mood-scene spoilery:

that dance scene in episode 1 was awesome, with everyone dancing then the pullback to a "panel" view, and the song was perfect.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Gotham.

Thus week's episode made me feel like I was watching Batman The Animated Series - that's probably because most of it was from an episode in BTAS :)

It made me feel like a kid all over again.

Add MacGyver and a few funny one liners to the new Discovery episode and it would have made a decent Stargate SG-1 episode. Star Trek... not so much.

So do you guys have subscriptions to every single streaming service out there? Isn't that ridiculously expensive? Very curious about this.

Just Netflix and Amazon Prime - and Amazon Prime more for the free shipping than watching videos, really.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

So do you guys have subscriptions to every single streaming service out there? Isn't that ridiculously expensive? Very curious about this.

Use to. I canceled Netflix and Hulu, long before they started canceling their biggest hitters. Their services aren't that up to par, servers need work and quality of audio and video aren't impressive in UHD.

DC and Amazon Prime. Everything on Netflix and Hulu can be found on Pluto TV moreorless, Pluto TV is an app on Google Play Store, Xbox One and PS4. It's free but you have to look through movies as there isn't a search engine. At least it supports native 4k and Atmos though on the newer movies with that in mind. There is no compression to be found.

DC has already paid off for me, every week they do a sweepstake and I've won 2 lol I have a nice Batgirl statue and got a couple tickets plus comic with audio reader, interviews, forums and you can chat with directors, voice actors and writers all without additional costs. By far the most uselful and worth streaming service available - as its far more than just a streaming service. That's probably why it's a few dollars more than the others but still, more than worth it in the end.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 2

I only have Netflix. But, as costs for 'premium' services go I could subscribe to Netflix, Amazon, Neon* and Lightbox* together for less than a monthly SkyTV sub which is the main premium alternative. No Hulu/ CBS/ DCTV etc here, and no 'native' Amazon either so its streaming is limited to their Originals, and comes via Japan (!)

*The local Netflix alternatives are a bit lol, Lightbox started using Silverlight after MS announced its discontinuation and whatever Neon was using must have been licensed from Pixelon given its reliability and resolution

Edited by Zoraptor

Just Netflix and Amazon Prime - and Amazon Prime more for the free shipping than watching videos, really.

Nearly the same for me but I added Hulu for local channels when I cut the cord

Free games updated 3/4/21

Netflix, Amazon Prime (2-day shipping pays for itself) and Hulu (free with Sprint phones) are the 3 I use. Cable and Satellite cost around $100 a month minimum, so it's way cheaper to have a few digital subs. Hulu Plus might be a good add later, since you get local and sports for $40 a month. 

We have Netflix, Amazon-Prime (rarely used, altho we rent movies from Amazon occasionally), Hulu+ (I hate ads) are the main ones. I have personal-interest subs to Crunchyroll (anime) and Viki (Korean/Asian drama), so about $55ish/month maybe?

Our Comcast cableTV "HD" package with HBO/Showtime/Starz was around $170-$180 a month without renting a single movie. On top of having the streaming stuff. Once I lost interest in 1st run Supernatural and Walking Dead (and pay-station originals don't interest me either) I pretty much had no reason to keep cableTV out side of watching HGTV while eating lunch.

It took another couple years before hubby came to the same conclusion. We don't care about/aren't going to sub to every network streaming thingie tho. What we have is enough - we don't watch all that much TV most of the time anyway. Occasional binges.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Netflix, Prime and Xfinity (Comcast) here, the latter of which bends me over for a ridiculous amount every month and I don't even have movie channels (but it does include internet). I wanted DC for no other reason but to watch Titans but I refuse to pay that much for one show.

Titans is on Netflix :D

I'm not sure if dumb question but did you try all caps, Netflix used to be case sensitve for whatever reason (if it still has capital letters on console). I remember a couple years ago, searching for something that had a capital letter in the middle and it wouldn't come up - without that capital letter in the middle lol

Edited by SonicMage117

It will probably be as good as the old one, can't see it outdoing the classic just for the simple fact that the time has passed and Stranger Things is this gen's Twilight Zone.

I get Twin Peaks vibe from the trailer and not Twilight Zone-feeling at all imo.

I wonder why they are trying to revive it. Most of the fans of the classic show are dead already. I just don't see it lasting long even though it will most likely be as good.

• Like 1

In some ways Black Mirror is just a modern version of The Twilight Zone, one that deals with plausible notions of technology gone awry. So I guess this will share the same episodic format but include the whole spectrum of science fiction for it's premises.

• Like 2

I really want to see Black Mirror, I only saw 1 episode where a mother's consciousness goes into a teddy bear. I really liked it.