TV's Vast Wasteland

Amentep

The comment was all about puff pieces, not paying to dog something. So your doubts are merited.

I didn't say it was, just throwing my two cents in about it since many believe in shills for whatever reason anyway. It's still relevant but it's all good, just bored I guess :) Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I feel like STD could maybe use a different acronym. Then again, I find it rather amusing every time. :biggrin:

I still haven't seen any of it because I refuse to subscribe.

Since I liked Flashpoint a lot, thought I'd try this series called Durham County, one of those single-crime-story (not episodic) series which stars one of the leads from Flashpoint. 2 episodes in it's slow, rather odd, and features zero likable characters. Not in the "bad acting" way - but the slightly annoying/whiny or stupid-decisions to the ***hat you want to punch in the face way. Probably won't continue.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just watched episode 1 of...

We already knew it would be good because India Eisley was in it.

What we didn't know? That Chris Pine would be better at playing a detective than Captain Kirk (remarkable since he played Jaymed Ty Kirk phenomenally).

Worth the wait, indeed.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I feel like STD could maybe use a different acronym. Then again, I find it rather amusing every time. :biggrin:

I still haven't seen any of it because I refuse to subscribe.

That's because the actual shorthand is DIS, following the convention of previous shows (cf. ENT, VOY, etc). "STD" was something angry neckbeards came up with. Low hanging fruit and all that.

I have access to a Netflix sub (it's distributed by them over here) but haven't bothered with S2. Funny, I also have HBO and the Amazon thing, but can't be arsed to even browse the catalogs. I am dead inside.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The name is fundamentally broken when it comes to shortening. (Star Trek) Dis is not much better than STD, as it makes me think the franchise is about to get served in a rap battle due to its shortcomings instead of have their winkle drop off.

And here we go again...

IMG-20190130-WA0008.jpg

I was not a fan of the S1 Klingon aesthetic so that's one change I can get behind.

I just like sticking closer to the older (DS9, TNG, TAS, TOS) naming scheme of each letter being an abbreviation rather than the newer (ENT, VOY) ones named after the ship. Regardless, numbers is right about it actually being called DIS.

I also like how they also shaved off the back of L'Rell's head

Free games updated 3/4/21

New Klingons are miles ahead, but why wasn't it done like that in the first place? Feels to me like it's just another area where they tried to be edgy and failed.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I just don't want another Worf...

^Some of Star Trek's worst lines and worst humor. As long as STD doesn't sink to that level (and it hasn't yet), it will be fine.

Current shows of interest are Counterpoint, The Gifted, Mars, and The Passage. I quickly lost interest in Roswell, Charmed, Nightflyers, and God Friended Me. Legacies, Black Lightning, Van Helsing, and Manifest are borderline interesting, and I occasionally still catch Supernatural. Cleverman was descent, but I don't know if it was renewed. Looking forward to season two of Happy and American Gods, plus The Walking Dead of course. I sure miss The Expanse.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

New Klingons are miles ahead, but why wasn't it done like that in the first place? Feels to me like it's just another area where they tried to be edgy and failed.

Exactly.

I just don't want another Worf...

^Some of Star Trek's worst lines and worst humor. As long as STD doesn't sink to that level (and it hasn't yet), it will be fine.

I really like TNG, but this is really funny:

Check 7:28 for Worf... lol

sign.jpg

There are exactly three Worf "moments" that I found memorably amusing (still easily recall them today) and one was more of a Data moment.

"Good tea, nice house."

"I'm beginning to see the appeal of this program!" (A Fistful of Datas)

"This does not remind me of you." (Data to Worf as Worf is picking out a wedding gift)

I found his character largely boring and I wanted his son to be shipped back to Earth post-haste. The son's mother was a cool chr. tho, I was ticked about her demise, I wanted to see her in more guest shots.

Also, that blue Klingon head in that posted picture is just "what?" Even worse than the classic to TNG jump, imo.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

To be honest, I find Dax to be a little bit annoying at times.

Also just yesterday I've learned that she actually wanted out of the show, because she always had to wear them super tight clothes and whatnot.

Just finished season 5 yesterday. Will start season 6 today. Only two season left. Damn.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

They used to make her wear padded bras and whatnot and everyone hates Rick Berman who was behind most of that kind of stuff. Seriously, look him up. From what I've read she justed wanted to have a lesser role so that she could persue other jobs on the side or whatever.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm pretty sure Jeri Ryan takes the cake though, she had to wear outfit so tight on Voyager that it interfered with her circulation and she once even passed out from it.

Although speaking strictly from my teenage toxic male gaze the results were... impressive at the time.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Even T of A wasn't enough to make Voyager bearable.  Really should have had them die at the end just before they get back home.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Btw, I'm not dissing Michael Dorn. He did what he could and my boredom with Worf wasn't actor-related. I just didn't find TNG Klingon's interesting or entertaining.

As to the female outfits - it's kind of funny how the female tight "bunny suit" chr. evolved with the different series. I still remember when Troi was  promoted and wore the standard blue/black Starfleet uniform later, imo she was actually more beautiful in that then that silly purple outfit which I thought was actually unflattering on her.

Of course you can go all the way back and chuckle over Uhura and the other female's super-short 60's mini-skirt uniform where their uniform-underwear was constantly on show. But at least that costume probably didn't make anyone faint. :disguise:

• Like 3

The mini-skirts were hilarious. Imagine someone doing this in a tv show nowadays. The outcry would travel with warp speed through space.

Personally I just want realistic uniforms. The mini-skirts are not, and the super tight uniforms in later shows aren't either.

• Like 1

The mini-skirts were hilarious. Imagine someone doing this in a tv show nowadays. The outcry would travel with warp speed through space.

Personally I just want realistic uniforms. The mini-skirts are not, and the super tight uniforms in later shows aren't either.

We get them in The Orville.

Btw, best Isaac episode so far. :)

sign.jpg

I finally watched a few episodes of STD after reading comments here and elsewhere. Much like the new Star Trek movies I neither loved it nor hated is. It isn't the steaming pile of SJW spoor I heard it was. Although there is more than a hint of that every now and then. It's certainly nice to look at as far as effects go but... meh

Start Trek ended when Voyager got home. And it was definitely on life support before that. Season 7 of DS9 was a bet of a let down and the last episode definitely was. But let's face it, only one  series ever "stuck the landing" with the last episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP21b-AAXJk

I thought TNG, Miami Vice, Breaking Bad, & M.A.S.H. all had good endings. But Cheers.... that was perfect!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell