Weird. Random. Interesting.

Amentep

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47154287

"There's no point to humanity. So many people are suffering. If humanity is extinct, Earth and animals would be happier. They'll certainly be better off. Also no human will then suffer. Human existence is totally pointless."

<Linkin Park song>

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

But... what about blind people?! THINK OF THE BLIND PEOPLE!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I wonder what it tastes like? Whenever I had beef in the Asiatic regions it definately had a slightly different taste than what I was used to from US beef.

has been explained to us asian beef tastes different not so much 'cause o' fundamental differences 'tween cows, but 'cause o' way in which cows is fed.  few folks here in the us has ever actual eaten beef which is fed on nothing save local roughages whereas most asian cows (with the exception o' japan) is more likely to be fed local roughages.  us cows destined for plate as steak typically have a high percentage o' grain in their diet--corn, milo, oats and barley. such diet has a dramatic impact on the taste o' the beef, and such grains is not gonna be common fodder for asian cows.

in our experience, eat steak from a hokkaido cow fed most on grains and is gonna taste near same as typical american beef cow.  eat beef in se asia and you is gonna notice an oddness to beef which is gonna be complete foreign... 'less you has had beef raised on small ranches in the american se which were fed mostly local verdant grasses as 'posed to grains. asian beef, particularly from asian street vendors, tastes familiar... grassy.  sharp?  fishy grassy? 

we tend to talk with cooks and chefs wherever we go.  is amazing how much folks will tell you if you simply ask e'm, particular if what you is asking is something 'bout which they know or like.  admitted, most o' our time in asia has been korea, japan, taiwan, and singapore, so is less zebu and the like, but we also spent a fair amount o' time in the philippines and east timor and a bit o' time in china, cambodia, thailand and laos.  have spent only a small 'mount o' time in indonesia and malaysia as there tends to be far fewer opportunities for a free speech/religion religion guy to be getting an invite from local universities and lawyer associations in those nations.  no good excuse for having only passed through vietnam a couple times. regardless, explanation from local food experts matches our own experience from eating beef not raised for supermarket consumption.  taste o' beef is not so much a result o' fundamental differences in cows but rather in differences in bovine diet.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Towson University police warn of a woman on the loose, looking for a date for her son

Towson University police have asked students and staff to be on the lookout for a woman in her 50s wearing a multicolored scarf. She’s looking for a date for her son.

Students complained to officers that she approached them last week in two campus buildings, the Cook Library and Center for the Arts, showing them a picture on her cell phone and asking if they were interested in dating her son.

It caused enough of a disturbance that police alerted students via an “incident advisory” that included a link to surveillance footage of the woman. They asked anyone with information about the woman or the incidents to contact university police.

University officials said the woman isn’t being sought for any criminal investigation, but simply to put the behavior to a stop.

Free games updated 3/4/21

(dog image)

is a nice image, but our dogs, three of four, would go absolute bat-crap crazy if they were approached by a strange dog, while in a vulnerable condition, in a vet office.  am not sure how they know, but we put dogs in the 97 chrysler minivan (our dog-specific motor transport... best purchase of last 10 years) with intent o' taking 'em to vet, and they know. apprehension becomes palpable on the trip to vet. one dog reacts to fear by becoming almost narcoleptic, which is nice.  two dogs become agitated and lose bladder control and look for a corner in which to hide... then they try to dig further into the corner. crating them doesn't help much. the final dog, our oldest border collie, has anger issues.  the old girl is a rescue (all save one o' our dogs is rescue) and has never become true socialized.  the oldest border collie doesn't like anybody not family and at unspecific rare moments, am not certain she likes Gromnir much either. she loves to cuddle, right up until she doesn't. mercurial.

none o' our dogs is dog people.  two 'o our dogs like humans. one pooch is afraid o' everything.  one pooch is always a hair's-breadth away from channeling her inner critical bill.

got no idea how many near misses we have had with strangers who reach out to pet critical bill without permission.

"it's ok. dogs like me."

*sigh*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

she loves to cuddle, right up until she doesn't. mercurial

Well, this is the 21st Century. Maybe she identifies as a cat? :grin:

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

she loves to cuddle, right up until she doesn't. mercurial

Well, this is the 21st Century. Maybe she identifies as a cat? :grin:

am not gonna judge her lifestyle choices. heck, she gots some kinda weird marking instinct we rare see in female canines.  so, not only identifying as a cat, but male as well?  "live and let live," says us.

am only concerned when her lifestyle choices threaten life and/or limb o' random strangers.  when is when? answer: too often.

the thing is, in spite o' her age, she is an attractive dog with a fluffy coat-- folks feel compelled to try and pet her. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-center-of-the-universe

First interesting thing I've ever heard of in Oklahoma.

Also Opportunity's mission has ended

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/02/opportunity-did-not-answer-nasas-final-call-and-its-now-gone-to-us/

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra